European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I'll consider it when I see evidence of not terminal understeer, and less weight and more power.

It seems like it is same weight as F80 and less power, so why boether
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #24
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i had a 2016 rs3 sportback, sold it to try the m3 zcp, but not feeling it atm, mainly due to sound, so ill most likely make the swap back to the facelift model when it lands here 3rd quarter - we can rock the sportback here which i prefer as an RS car

all the fears of understeer, tbh i never really felt it on the road, i did swap the oe pirelli's for mpss immediately which had a much squarer shoulder on the front wheels (fronts run a 255, and rear 235). i didn't feel any rear push off a corner, it did feel more pull than push, but some reports out of Oman are saying it has more rear push feel now as they've tweaked the torque split

with the facelift rs3 finally offering ceramics (previous model only teased ceramics on the press cars), it solves the massive issue i had with my car and continual brake failures - multiple front discs overheating/warping and pads failing due to poor audi brake design where they use the same disc on left and right, so the cooling vanes run counter clockwise on one side. Add to fact the esp is constantly dabbing front brakes to keep front end in in check, and after a solid hill run the brakes were f'd - made me sell the car

it really is the best sounding car this side of silly money (this with milltek secondary cat delete), made me want to head out and go for a drive just to savour the sound - m3 not doing that for me

Last edited by domino_z; 03-16-2017 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
mc3456389.50
      03-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #25
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
too small. i enjoy my F80 as a DD because of the practicality it provides. the RS3 is not enough. if it were to come in a hatchback i'd consider it.
Agreed. The hatch just looks so much better than the sedan.

As a side note, I find the RS3 hatch more desirable than the new RS5. The 5 cylinder engine sounds more unique.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #26
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
It does look interesting but expect it will be too small for me.
It is an extremely small car, despite looking really good in pics, and the dash design is very low rent. One of the ugliest I've ever seen. Using round air vents that look tacked onto a barren dash is very cold abd unappealing.

Some time ago, I debated getting an S3, but just couldn't get past the fact thst the VW Golf R had a much nicer interior design than the more expensive Audi. They really need to redesign the dashboard asap.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-18-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
      03-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I'll consider it when I see evidence of not terminal understeer, and less weight and more power.

It seems like it is same weight as F80 and less power, so why boether
...because it will put the power down 100% better in all conditions and likely be a mid 3 second to 60MPH car. For us in New England, all season traction counts for a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #28
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Put it up against an M2 first.

But 400HP + torque vectoring AWD + small sedan? Heck yeah!
I love the look of the M2, but the RS3 is going to make mince meat out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
It is an extremely small car, despite looking really good in pics, and the dash design is very low rent. One of the ugliest I've ever seen. Using round air vents that look tacked onto a barren dash is very cold abd unappealing.

Some time ago, I debated getting an S4, but just couldn't get past the fact thst the VW Golf R had a much nicer interior design than the more expensive Audi. They really need to redesign the dashboard asap.
I had a B8.5 (2013) S4 with Nappa leather and stainless mesh trim and thought the interior was much nicer than a comparable Benz or BMW. There are some interior elements (e.g. Nav screen) I prefer on that S4 to my M4 and I actually prefer the B8.5 S4 dash to where Audi seems to be going now. I haven't been in a Golf R but if it's interior is better than the S4 that's a pretty nice VW.
      03-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #30
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I had a B8.5 (2013) S4 with Nappa leather and stainless mesh trim and thought the interior was much nicer than a comparable Benz or BMW. There are some interior elements (e.g. Nav screen) I prefer on that S4 to my M4 and I actually prefer the B8.5 S4 dash to where Audi seems to be going now. I haven't been in a Golf R but if it's interior is better than the S4 that's a pretty nice VW.
Typo. Meant S3. Hate the round air vents that look like an after thought. How could they ever let that out of the design studio.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #31
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Yeah, but it has a very small back seat, no fender flares, and doesn't have nearly the aggressive look I would want in an RS Audi. It looks bland. I'm not a huge looks guy but it matters, I want to feel like I'm driving a special car.

I am sure it puts power down perfectly but I really like my car. It's not enough for me to switching the big picture.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #32
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
to 60 yeah but let's see how it drives and behaves on the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
...because it will put the power down 100% better in all conditions and likely be a mid 3 second to 60MPH car. For us in New England, all season traction counts for a lot.
Other people put stickier tires on their f80 and adjust alignment if needed. You're making a big deal out of nothing with your complaints about the f80 traction.

Besides, staightline acceleration is only one aspect of performance. Being able to be fun in corners and not overheat brakes matters a lot to me as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #34
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
98% of the buyers of both cars are never going to the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #35
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
And if we're doing Friday night stop light racing in north Texas, the TTRS is going to smoke an M6 with an ET of 11.6, and by extension, beat the M3/4, 63S, V, and Q. Trap speeds have yet to be documented that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Quote:
98% of the buyers of both cars are never going to the track.
True, but 99% of the buyers of both cars are going to exploit their limits on the street, violations of the vehicle code be damned. If typical Audi engineering architecture remains, these cars with their transverse engine (even with less weight) located completely fore of the front axle and with some front wheel biased AWD in play, plowing understeer will rear its ugly head for yet another generation of cars. This diminishes the fun-to-drive factor, a score that C&D allows for a total of 25 points, most of any category.

I don't consider myself a brand whore of any make but, except for the R8, I am biased against Audi. Their RS performance models don't prioritize what makes a true sporting car.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #36
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is not a track car, its a hot hatch where the most fun you'll get out of it is on backroads

On a B road you won't see which way it went trying to keep up in an f80, and if it's wet fugghheddaabboouitt - take it from someone who's owned both, and modified evo's and Gtr's, so you won't find anyone crying a river more than me for a proper awd drivetrain in a Euro quality car. Having said that, it's good enough at this price point, and never really an issue on the street up to about 8/10ths which is it's sweet spot- the lighter engine and ceramics will remove weight from the most important areas so the front end will turn in better than my old car

Re interior, imo audi's current simplistic design theme is hit and miss. In something like the r8, I think it's too simple and it doesn't feel premium enough in the few design details it has, but in the a3 I think it works fine. Add the virtual cockpit and even though the platform is almost as old as the f30/80 it does feel more current

Everything you touch and rotate has a quality feel that no bmw of merc can match and any price point in imo, the weight and sound of the rotary dials on mmi, volume and hvac are laughably better than BMW's rubbery knobs - it's little things like that that you come to appreciate after the new car novelty wears off

What it is missing is a heads up display, 360 camera, proper bolstered seats (the first gen press cars teased us with buckets that never eventuated) and the mmi unit is nowhere near as advanced as idrive, but it does all the same stuff essentially

Back to the OP's question, yes as a current m3 zcp I am considering a new rs3. The heart tells me that engine and exhaust, and my head says the f80 chassis is in another league, but for how I use this car, daily driver + occasional hill run, sound trumps chassis

Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #37
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Other people put stickier tires on their f80 and adjust alignment if needed. You're making a big deal out of nothing with your complaints about the f80 traction.

Besides, staightline acceleration is only one aspect of performance. Being able to be fun in corners and not overheat brakes matters a lot to me as well.
I owned it as my primary driver for two years and 23k miles. The traction sucks period...especially in colder weather. It's not a non-issue. There is no polishing that turd with R-Compound tires.. It is more of a mechanical issue than simply a tire issue. I know several people who wasted the money on R Compound tires thinking it would solve the issue, though it helps, it's not the complete answer. It is probably more of a calibration issue, but even the ZCP hasn't eliminated it completely. Perhaps you have a higher tolerance for that issue than I do, but I suspect geographic climate is the bigger arbitor. Drive 24/7/365 in New England and you'd be a harsher, more demanding critic of that shortcoming.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #38
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z
This is not a track car, its a hot hatch where the most fun you'll get out of it is on backroads

On a B road you won't see which way it went trying to keep up in an f80, and if it's wet fugghheddaabboouitt - take it from someone who's owned both, and modified evo's and Gtr's, so you won't find anyone crying a river more than me for a proper awd drivetrain in a Euro quality car. Having said that, it's good enough at this price point, and never really an issue on the street up to about 8/10ths which is it's sweet spot- the lighter engine and ceramics will remove weight from the most important areas so the front end will turn in better than my old car

Re interior, imo audi's current simplistic design theme is hit and miss. In something like the r8, I think it's too simple and it doesn't feel premium enough in the few design details it has, but in the a3 I think it works fine. Add the virtual cockpit and even though the platform is almost as old as the f30/80 it does feel more current

Everything you touch and rotate has a quality feel that no bmw of merc can match and any price point in imo, the weight and sound of the rotary dials on mmi, volume and hvac are laughably better than BMW's rubbery knobs - it's little things like that that you come to appreciate after the new car novelty wears off

What it is missing is a heads up display, 360 camera, proper bolstered seats (the first gen press cars teased us with buckets that never eventuated) and the mmi unit is nowhere near as advanced as idrive, but it does all the same stuff essentially

Back to the OP's question, yes as a current m3 zcp I am considering a new rs3. The heart tells me that engine and exhaust, and my head says the f80 chassis is in another league, but for how I use this car, daily driver + occasional hill run, sound trumps chassis

Bucket seats are offered now for the facelift
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #39
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

In the US it will be sedan only which makes it a useless car for anyone with kids. The back seat is not reasonably big enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #40
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Yea, I'd be interested in the sportback if it were ever to come over. The RS4 or RS6 too, for that matter. I'm coming from a B8.5 S4, the interior design/usability is better, but the exterior styling for many of their platforms was a bit dull for me. But, I like the idea of a functional hatchback mated with quattro to get me through a heavy snow season, or a little fun as a stealthy grocery getter!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #41
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
They're not on the order form or any press material

Can you post where you saw this
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #42
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I owned it as my primary driver for two years and 23k miles. The traction sucks period...especially in colder weather. It's not a non-issue. There is no polishing that turd with R-Compound tires.. It is more of a mechanical issue than simply a tire issue. I know several people who wasted the money on R Compound tires thinking it would solve the issue, though it helps, it's not the complete answer. It is probably more of a calibration issue, but even the ZCP hasn't eliminated it completely. Perhaps you have a higher tolerance for that issue than I do, but I suspect geographic climate is the bigger arbitor. Drive 24/7/365 in New England and you'd be a harsher, more demanding critic of that shortcoming.
back when i was moving from s3 to rs3, i grabbed a non-lci m4 for an extended test drive, and yes traction was an issue, so much so it was actually horrible to drive. combined with incorrectly valved suspension for our aussie b roads, and the rear was skipping along the road with esp cutting power, just all kinds of wrong

but then i drove the zcp, and was amazed they solved this issue. i can go wot with traction off off a b road corner in 2nd and only have minimal wheelspin, if any. whatever magic they did on zcp has made the car night and day better
Appreciate 1
redpriest2145.50
      03-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #43
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
They're not on the order form or any press material

Can you post where you saw this
I recall i saw it on ordering guide either for germany or canada, saw it on an RS3 forum dont recall which one but search on the rs3 forums and you'll find it
Appreciate 1
domino_z1175.00
      03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yea, maybe so.

My euro delivery was in the rain and ~40F weather and I took the car to very high speeds on the a-bahn, did a ring lap and did an DE at Spa. No issues on my end regarding traction

When the car returned to the US, I corded the PSS in 3 more DE, switched to RE11 (it was my daily too) and then added more rear toe, and it was even better. I felt confident hanging the rear out at autoX and did my DEs with DSC OFF

Too bad you had a bad experience

As for the hot hatch RS3 and it being great on backgrounds, I would take a used modded STi or evo that kind of driving any day over an Audi product
Appreciate 0