European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #89
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
With options...maybe this will give us an idea of what the TTRS options will run
Not bad at all. Hoping to get down to the NY auto show next weekend to check it out in person. Though dealer markups may keep me away for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #90
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I've enjoyed my '16 S3 (with tune)... it's decent but doesn't feel nearly as special. the exterior is pretty decent though and the overall interior is very decent for $45k. the RS3 will be nice but I don't see myself getting one over another M3 or C63. I'm afraid the RS3 will cost more than its worth to me (low 50s seems reasonable).

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #91
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
I've enjoyed my '16 S3 (with tune)... it's decent but doesn't feel nearly as special. the exterior is pretty decent though and the overall interior is very decent for $45k. the RS3 will be nice but I don't see myself getting one over another M3 or C63. I'm afraid the RS3 will cost more than its worth to me (low 50s seems reasonable).
54k base
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #92
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
With options...maybe this will give us an idea of what the TTRS options will run

Wow. There is going to be so much plow in this car, they need wider front tires than rear to make it more neutral! Craziness. I'll have to drive one at some point just to see for myself.
      05-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #93
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Its hard for me to get past how clinical, plain and overly simple the interior is. I would lose my mind riding in that as a passenger!!!
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #94
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
Its hard for me to get past how clinical, plain and overly simple the interior is. I would lose my mind riding in that as a passenger!!!
Clinical, plain, and simple describes the exterior as well.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 2
RACEM4TE374.00
clutchdj1848.50
      05-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #95
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

"Simple" its sexy af
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #96
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
"Simple" its sexy af
Saw it in ara blue at the NY auto show. I really love it. We'll have to see how dealer demand actually is.
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1547.50
      05-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #97
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just saw an estimate of $60k on the RS3. no way.. I'd be m3 all day. .. if awd were a must then s5 sportback

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #98
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
just saw an estimate of $60k on the RS3. no way.. I'd be m3 all day. .. if awd were a must then s5 sportback
No need to estimate anything - pricing was posted earlier in this thread.

A similarly equipped RS5 Sportback is going to be over 80k, and you would have to wait approximately another two years from now before you can actually drive one home.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #99
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It could be $60k with dealer mark up. We all know how these dealers love doing that when something new hits the market.
      05-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #100
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
It could be $60k with dealer mark up. We all know how these dealers love doing that when something new hits the market.
I assumed he was talking about a vehicle with some options added. Both base MSRP and option prices are posted earlier in this thread.

This is not going to be a markup-only car. It's not a highly limited vehicle with grossly lopsided demand vs. supply. If a dealership asks you to pay over MSRP, walk away and find a different one. Also, if one is truly interested in an RS3, my advice would be to find a good Audi forum where others are discussing the car so you can find out what typical transaction prices are and where to buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #101
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:

A similarly equipped RS5 Sportback is going to be over 80k, and you would have to wait approximately another two years from now before you can actually drive one home.
except I said S5 not RS5. I see some Canadian ordering guides but not US stuff posted earlier, so that definitely gets it close but it's still a bit of a guess at this point. low to mid 50s would definitely be more fair.

if the seating position is better than in my S3 I'd actually consider making the switch. hopefully they figured out a way to get the seat lower.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #102
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
except I said S5 not RS5.
My mistake - I suppose I must have read it wrong because I didn't expect to see that comparison made. An S5 is nice and sporty and so forth but the tradeoff in performance and driving experience vs. an M3 (or what we expect from the RS3) would make it a non-starter for many folks. Same reason an S4 has not been a viable option for most - it's positioned against a 340i or C43 (among others) and performs accordingly. For me, the value just isn't there anymore in that segment.

Quote:
I see some Canadian ordering guides but not US stuff posted earlier, so that definitely gets it close but it's still a bit of a guess at this point. low to mid 50s would definitely be more fair.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=70
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=79
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #103
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
except I said S5 not RS5.
My mistake - I suppose I must have read it wrong because I didn't expect to see that comparison made. An S5 is nice and sporty and so forth but the tradeoff in performance and driving experience vs. an M3 (or what we expect from the RS3) would make it a non-starter for many folks. Same reason an S4 has not been a viable option for most - it's positioned against a 340i or C43 (among others) and performs accordingly. For me, the value just isn't there anymore in that segment.

Quote:
I see some Canadian ordering guides but not US stuff posted earlier, so that definitely gets it close but it's still a bit of a guess at this point. low to mid 50s would definitely be more fair.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=70
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=79
price comparison is where the S5 and RS3 will compete. neither is a real competitor for an M3/M4, though. the RS3 may have a similar 0-60 time but overall it's going to fall way short as far as driving dynamics and experience. it may be an *alternative* for someone looking for a zippy, cool looking, beefy sounding, sporty interior having car... but it won't be nearly as good as a track day commuter.

thanks the pricing report, I looked and even Googled it. I think I'd definitely want a stripper model if I were to get one but seating position would need to be better. if not, that's where I'd go from the s5 sportback. and the reason I am comparing the two is because the S4/S5 is a nice car that feels more special than the MSport cars despite similar price/performance. the RS3 surely will be more rare and special than the S4/S5 but as a commuter car, the same money may be spent better on the larger models for me. neither would be my track car. that being said I haven't driven either yet but I do know my S3 has really started to bother me bc I sit so darn high in it. but otherwise it's quick (tuned), has a reasonably nice interior and looks pretty sharp, so an RS3 should make a fun commuter that's a step up.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #104
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
price comparison is where the S5 and RS3 will compete. neither is a real competitor for an M3/M4, though. the RS3 may have a similar 0-60 time but overall it's going to fall way short as far as driving dynamics and experience. it may be an *alternative* for someone looking for a zippy, cool looking, beefy sounding, sporty interior having car... but it won't be nearly as good as a track day commuter.
While I agree with you that the RS3 definitely isn't an M3 competitor either, I still think it will offer much more value than any similarly priced non-M/AMG/RS vehicle one might measure it up against.

Think about an M2. That clearly isn't an M4 competitor. Yet if we want to step down in price from the M4, the choice between an M2 and 440i is very clear for an enthusiast - you'll see almost universal preference for the former. Do a poll if you are truly curious or skeptical, but I think you know what the results would show. RS3 vs. S5 is that same type of no-brainer choice for most of us. Not everyone, no, but most.

Regarding performance, what I know is that a TT RS gets plenty of favorable reviews. An RS3 is a similar setup, the two share a chassis and many components. Now, it won't be quite as close as an M3/M4 are in performance but we are not talking about two cars with completely different DNA. Furthermore, and perhaps more germane to the discussion - if the RS3 can't match the M3 driving experience, the S5 is going to be even worse. It certainly won't feel like a special car since ~350-ish hp sport sedans this size with no specific appeal to an enthusiast are a dime a dozen, all day long. You may want to say that the S5 has the better chassis configuration than the RS3 due to the RWD bias and north-south engine. However, the MLB Audis are still prone to understeering just as the MQB are. Plus, the latest MQB is reported by testers to be markedly evolved from past efforts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #105
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
While I agree with you that the RS3 definitely isn't an M3 competitor either, I still think it will offer much more value than any similarly priced non-M/AMG/RS vehicle one might measure it up against.

Think about an M2. That clearly isn't an M4 competitor. Yet if we want to step down in price from the M4, the choice between an M2 and 440i is very clear for an enthusiast - you'll see almost universal preference for the former. Do a poll if you are truly curious or skeptical, but I think you know what the results would show. RS3 vs. S5 is that same type of no-brainer choice for most of us. Not everyone, no, but most.

Regarding performance, what I know is that a TT RS gets plenty of favorable reviews. An RS3 is a similar setup, the two share a chassis and many components. Now, it won't be quite as close as an M3/M4 are in performance but we are not talking about two cars with completely different DNA. Furthermore, and perhaps more germane to the discussion - if the RS3 can't match the M3 driving experience, the S5 is going to be even worse. It certainly won't feel like a special car since ~350-ish hp sport sedans this size with no specific appeal to an enthusiast are a dime a dozen, all day long. You may want to say that the S5 has the better chassis configuration than the RS3 due to the RWD bias and north-south engine. However, the MLB Audis are still prone to understeering just as the MQB are. Plus, the latest MQB is reported by testers to be markedly evolved from past efforts.
I would need to drive the RS3 to really have an opinion here ... but I do have a hard time believing the RS3 will be a similar driving experience as the TTRS. I could definitely be wrong though.

compared to the S5, the RS3 is surely the more enthusiast oriented build, but again, I feel like the S cars do feel/look a bit more special than the MSport cars as there is more to set the S cars apart from their plain vanilla siblings. (namely exhausts & seats along with the interior/exterior trim, brakes, wheels, etc). the S5 isn't a hard core enthusiast car or a track car, but as a commuter, it's likely much nicer inside than the RS3 and roomier. it's also pretty quick and will be fast with a tune while being more of a sleeper. the reason I'd get the S5 over the RS3 is getting more for the price in the dept of a commuter than the RS3 while still retaining some fun and style (compared to most sedans).

if I could get one of each, I would! and again, I really need to drive them both to really know if the RS3 lives up to the hype.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #106
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
that being said I haven't driven either yet but I do know my S3 has really started to bother me bc I sit so darn high in it. but otherwise it's quick (tuned), has a reasonably nice interior and looks pretty sharp, so an RS3 should make a fun commuter that's a step up.
I thought the same thing when I drove the S3. Seating position is to high. Now it had standard seats. Do the manual sport seats sit lower?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #107
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would need to drive the RS3 to really have an opinion here ... but I do have a hard time believing the RS3 will be a similar driving experience as the TTRS. I could definitely be wrong though.
Fair. From my perspective, if they've gone and messed with the chassis any more than necessary to accommodate whatever nuanced preference customers who prefer the sedan form factor might lean toward (if that is even a thing or is necessary), then they've really screwed the pooch big time. An RS3 Sportback is a known quantity, and that quantity = beast, and that's with the old engine, even. I think this new iteration, including the addition of the sedan sibling are going to be home runs.

Quote:
compared to the S5, the RS3 is surely the more enthusiast oriented build, but again, I feel like the S cars do feel/look a bit more special than the MSport cars as there is more to set the S cars apart from their plain vanilla siblings. (namely exhausts & seats along with the interior/exterior trim, brakes, wheels, etc).
I think this is the primary area where we differ. Using an example closer to home for me, even if BMW literally transplanted the interior from the M4 into the 440i and only barely nudged the price up, I'm still taking the M2 home every single day. I want the car to give me performance/$ first, everything else is of secondary or lesser importance.

Quote:
if I could get one of each, I would! and again, I really need to drive them both to really know if the RS3 lives up to the hype.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #108
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fair. From my perspective, if they've gone and messed with the chassis any more than necessary to accommodate whatever nuanced preference customers who prefer the sedan form factor might lean toward (if that is even a thing or is necessary), then they've really screwed the pooch big time. An RS3 Sportback is a known quantity, and that quantity = beast, and that's with the old engine, even. I think this new iteration, including the addition of the sedan sibling are going to be home runs.

Quote:
compared to the S5, the RS3 is surely the more enthusiast oriented build, but again, I feel like the S cars do feel/look a bit more special than the MSport cars as there is more to set the S cars apart from their plain vanilla siblings. (namely exhausts & seats along with the interior/exterior trim, brakes, wheels, etc).
I think this is the primary area where we differ. Using an example closer to home for me, even if BMW literally transplanted the interior from the M4 into the 440i and only barely nudged the price up, I'm still taking the M2 home every single day. I want the car to give me performance/$ first, everything else is of secondary or lesser importance.

Quote:
for a fun car that i would just commute with and do track days in, the M2 would be my pick over an S, Msport, etc also. however, I need a larger-than-M2 car to move the kids around in and to sip my coffee in on my way to work. I got a camaro SS 1LE for when I need the "driving experience" which is immense. I tried really hard to find a car that did it ALL (car seats and commute and track days). m3 was the closest I could get. RS3 is probably okay in that regard but it'll lack the RWD fun I enjoy at the track. there's no perfect car and that's why I split it up into the 1LE and S3. both serve their purpose well but each falls short in other areas. add in a Yukon Denali for longer trips and hauling and it's a near-perfect balance for our family.

I think for a lot of people who don't plan on tracking their cars the RS3, M3 and c63 are a bit much since so much of that performance is inaccessible to a responsible, law-abiding driver. however, of course, if the money is there, no reason not to

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #109
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
I thought the same thing when I drove the S3. Seating position is to high. Now it had standard seats. Do the manual sport seats sit lower?
Yes, the manual S sport seats are lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #110
Spike Spiegel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Imprezza, '19 Audi RS 3
Location: Currently dragging myself toward my masters degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Have to wonder if their is going to be an RS5 sportback (i've been looking, can't find confirmation except for Car and Driver, but with no source?) . I'd love to see one, as would some fellow Audi goers. I don't think the RS5 coupe starts selling till late this year. If they are going to make a sportback, wonder when it would be announced and if the US gets it.
Appreciate 0