EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Necessary to bed brake pads (Ferodo DS2500)?

I just installed some ferodo ds2500 brake pads, and the bedding instructions say to do 25 to 30 times of braking at 50% for 4 seconds. However, is this necessary if I'm not going to be able to hit the track anytime soon? I've heard some people don't bother with bedding in brake pads, and wondering if I should do this. I changed the front rotors about 500 miles ago, but not the rears. This is replacing the stock pads, and my goal is it to eventually do some casual track days. Given coronavirus, I am guessing that it will be not until at least a few months later. I'm asking because I also read that the layer of pad deposits from bedding them in will get worn away with regular Street driving, which is all I'll be doing for the next few months. Should I bother with bedding in these new pads?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
santiwan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

So I have the same pads as you on front and rear. I did partial bedding meaning I didn't go and stop 100 times. However, one thing I will tell you is make sure that you used high temp brake pad lubricant. I didn't (did the pads myself but I'm not a mechanic) so I went with like autozone lubricant.

That stuff did not work at ALL. Car had bad braking vibrations and squealed like crazy. Was so worried I warped my rotors. Make sure you use high temp on these pads. Keep in mind, I'm just street driving and this is my daily. I would say try and bed them as much as you can and I think you'll be alright.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Accoring to all pad manufacturers, bedding the brakes when they are brand new will ensure optimal performance and improved longevity. This is true regardless if you hit the track soon or not.

That being said, it is not always practical for me to bed my brakes since I often change my pads track side between sessions. They still work fine witout bedding, but I am not convinced I get the best longevity out of them when I did not get a chance to properly bed them when new.

So: Necesseary: no, better: yes

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-09-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Bed or not to bed...didn't make a difference for me. 10 stops to 0, both methods worked out fine. The first session or two will finish the bedding in process without issue. Plus side is that the first one out is normally slow and stuck behind Porsches

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Bed or not to bed...didn't make a difference for me. 10 stops to 0, both methods worked out fine. The first session or two will finish the bedding in process without issue. Plus side is that the first one out is normally slow and stuck behind Porsches
this is the process I follow for the Gloc brake pads on my track car.

Basically hammer down for a few corners during practice, drive normally for a few laps and let the brakes cool in the paddock.

I did this at the start of last season and got meat balled for “heavy brake smell” but it bedded the brakes nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Our enduro Miata started the race weekend with fresh pads. Bed the brakes on the formation lap of the Saturday 8-hour race, zero problems across 2 dozen or so races. I'll do the same exact thing with my next endurance car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Accoring to all pad manufacturers, bedding the brakes when they are brand new will ensure optimal performance and improved longevity. This is true regardless if you hit the track soon or not.

That being said, it is not always practical for me to bed my brakes since I often change my pads track side between sessions. They still work fine witout bedding, but I am not convinced I get the best longevity out of them when I did not get a chance to properly bed them when new.

So: Necesseary: no, better: yes
Thanks! The longevity argument convinced me to do it tonight, though the pad deposits weren't as evenly distributed across the rotor as I hoped. I'll call it good enough for now since I'm not going to a track anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50