Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

09-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #45
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Curious to know how one steals and drives this vehicle. Can't these newer cars be tracked?

Good luck and hopefully your new body style M doesn't end up like this.
I left the keys by accident. Ran back to grab something out of trunk and left it. I checked the BMW Connected APP and it said "GPS TRACKING disabled in iDrive at 4:30am"
Unfortunate news to say the least.

Just curious, is your car Manual or DCT?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #46
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Quote:
The one time I accidentally left my key in the car (in a really really nice neighborhood. I feel like such an idiot but never in a million years did I think that would happen. The worst part is I locked my car but forgot something for my camping trip so had to go back to my car . Thats when I must have left it.... Worst part was car was stolen for almost 24hrs before anyone knew. Fucking animals.
I was going to say, I have never heard of a BMW M4 being stolen. This now makes sense as you will have to crack the code to get the code to the key fob to steal the car. Amazing tech person if they had caught that guy and he was a drug addict and all. Doesn't fit the profile. Now that you mention leaving the keys in the car...

Crazy, hope everything works out and it's totaled as well. best of luck and hope that car jacker doesn't do this to anyone again.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #47
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Sorry about your car OP but like many have said, at least it's a lease so that's one less headache. Looks like it's totaled so that should take the sting out of it a bit.
Not sure where you are in NJ but I live in NJ as well in a fairly affluent town.
Car thefts are so common that hardly a month goes by without an alert from the PD to lock cars and keep valuables out of sight.
Thankfully you didn't encounter the thief in the middle of it. A year or two ago, a family was returning from vacation late at night - they pulled into their driveway and while unloading their Range Rover, couple of guys jumped out of a car with guns. Held one of the children at gunpoint while demanding keys to the car they were driving as well as another in the garage. They gave them keys and their money and the guys took off. Luckily nobody was physically hurt - emotionally without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #48
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMN4NT View Post
Wow. Sorry to see that.
Im just surprised they STILL steal cars in 2019 so stupid lol
Low class ignorant scums.

As long as there are cars, there will be car thieves stealing them.
Appreciate 1
AMX23.50
      09-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #49
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
I'm surprised no one made the "that will buff right out" joke yet. Sorry to hear
+1 finally Bimmerpost is over this comment.

Sorry to see this OP. Beyond totalled to em that yes. I thought the front fascia was wrapped around the bonnet at one point but it's just wreckage laid on top.
      09-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Hate to be that guy, but since you left the key in it, does that make you liable? Some states apply liability that way. Hopefully you're not in one of them. Or you just delete this thread and claim ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #51
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Curious to know how one steals and drives this vehicle. Can't these newer cars be tracked?

I left the keys by accident. Ran back to grab something out of trunk and left it. I checked the BMW Connected APP and it said "GPS TRACKING disabled in iDrive at 4:30am"

Dct. Wonder if they knew how to drive 6spd, lol
Appreciate 1
HODLM363.50
      09-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #52
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The thieves ran into something head-on straight into the middle of the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #53
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Dct. Wonder if they knew how to drive 6spd, lol
That's exactly why I asked. I'm guessing the manual would have been a slight deterrent.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #54
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!

Totaled, fo shizzle.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #55
BMWrj
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Electrified

BMW Lease = GAP Insurance

For these type of "special occasions" when there are remaining payments and your car is eventually written off, your BMW GAP Insurance, which is part of the Acquisition Fee, won't leave you with negative equity too!
? Direct # 267.898.2571
? Raul.Jimenez@1800Thompson.com
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #56
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Fucking scumbags. It breaks my heart to see it like this.

At this point, I just hope it's totaled. Only had 29,000 miles on it. Anyone think its totaled?
sad...

Better question is "Anyone think its NOT totaled?"
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Quote:
The one time I accidentally left my key in the car (in a really really nice neighborhood. I feel like such an idiot but never in a million years did I think that would happen. The worst part is I locked my car but forgot something for my camping trip so had to go back to my car . Thats when I must have left it.... Worst part was car was stolen for almost 24hrs before anyone knew. Fucking animals.
I was going to say, I have never heard of a BMW M4 being stolen. This now makes sense as you will have to crack the code to get the code to the key fob to steal the car. Amazing tech person if they had caught that guy and he was a drug addict and all. Doesn't fit the profile. Now that you mention leaving the keys in the car...

Crazy, hope everything works out and it's totaled as well. best of luck and hope that car jacker doesn't do this to anyone again.
Apparently it's common in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #58
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
any updates on how stolen. do people in the tri-state steal your key signal. shall i begin making a faraday cage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
any updates on how stolen. do people in the tri-state steal your key signal. shall i begin making a faraday cage
Is the Autowatch ghost available in the US? A lot of people have them in the U.K, you can't even steal one with the keys.

I had a car stolen with the keys and it would have prevented it, you live and learn.

It's a canbus immobiliser that uses the cars buttons as a key code to enable the car to be driven.

Appreciate 3
      09-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #59
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Sorry to hear that. This is one of the reasons I lease. When mine was repaired and should have been totaled I lost out big time when I tried to sell it later. In California insurance companies don't have to pay diminished value. If I had been leasing BMW would have to deal with the diminished value. I hope they total it, but mine looked similar to that and they fixed it. State Farm will only total it if cost to repair exceeds 80% of the value. Good luck. In any event at least it's only 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #60
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

This just sucks, but I suppose you can't ever "just leave the keys in it for a minute" ( he says the very day he did the same thing while he ran into the post office to drop some mail inside!). Stuff happens; sorry for your misery.
      09-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #61
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup. In a stolen Mercedes and he had crack and a Gun, lol.

I want no part of the car now, it'll take months to fix and never be the same. And the lease is up in 5 months
I hope they lock his ass up for years. Any chance there's a mug shot available online that you could share?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #62
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
OP... Sorry for your loss.

Not an easy thing to share.

Best way to feel better is to get another car, as soon as you're ready of course.
      09-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #63
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
That car is 100% totalled. I advise pulling all after market parts off the car and throwing the OEM parts in a box and leaving them in the trunk.

Also, fuck people.
Appreciate 2
BMWrj6.50
clee1982797.50
      09-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

[QUOTE=RoShambolt;25255206]
Quote:
It's a canbus immobiliser that uses the cars buttons as a key code to enable the car to be driven.

You could use this device - or maybe just not leave the keyfob inside the vehicle... Either method would work just fine.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #65
wilsonxu93
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Sorry for hearing and seeing this. My 18 M3 got T-bone last month with a mustang lost control merging onto highway in a light rain day, similar to your car ( bumper, hood, one of the headlamps, radiator, suspension, steering rack, wheels, tires, all that, etc) except my passenger side ( door and fender) got damaged as well. My car looks to be totaled but since it's only 11K miles the insurance decided to fix it with $27,000 (I know it's a lot but it's much cheaper to them). In your case, since you drove 29k miles, depends on the threshold from your state, repair amount need to be more than 70% of current cash value of the car to be claimed as totaled, it varies by states(you can look it up). My car is a lease like yours so no worries about the diminished value. I totally understand your feeling, it really fxxking hurts, especially you are not at fault. But other than the repair amount, unless your car is claimed not safe to drive or any frame damage to affect the structure of the car, then the insurance company is most likely to repair it. And plus, BMW financial won't force insurance company to total it, since they have contract with you, not the insurance company, so most likely you have to pay the rest until your lease is up. That's exactly what happened to me, I know it's pretty frustrating, but I do hope your car is claimed to be totaled, so insurance can pay your lease.

Hope my share helps. Good luck with everything Man.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #66
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
That car is 100% totalled. I advise pulling all after market parts off the car and throwing the OEM parts in a box and leaving them in the trunk.

Also, fuck people.
The fucking tow yard stole all aftermarket parts
Appreciate 3
msdss497.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
PabloK597.00