GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

View Poll Results: Will you be extending your factory warranty on the GTS?
Yes, I think it is worth it. 12 54.55%
No, I rather pay repairs as they come up. 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

04-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 GTS / E71 X6 35i

Question Extended Warranty

Just picked up a 2016 FDG GTS with only 4000 km for $99,888 CAD / $70500 USD.

Warranty expiring in December and I'm guessing a lot of your 2016s expirations are coming up to...

Do y'all think it's worth getting the extended factory warranty? I'm planning to keep the car for at least 6 years and probably will keep it under 60,000 km. Got quoted for an additional 3 years / 80000 km for $3850 CAD / $2750 USD.

I haven't heard many issues on the F80 / F82 platform other than general maintenance from board members around or under 55000 miles. Only thing I'm concerned about is the water tank but hoping to get it replaced before my original expiry date.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Probably worth it IMHO. I had to have an OLED tail light replaced under warranty and the list price for the light was more than what they are quoting you on the extended warranty. GTS specific parts are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

I am extending my warranty. It's just insurance against one catastrophic repair. I'm expecting the water injection system to blow up on me at some point, and I expect that'll be more expensive than the warranty cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

If you guys are interested, I would highly recommend talking to your finance managers at your dealerships now... the lower your odo reading, the lower your warranty extension cost will be. So if you wait until a month before it expires and you racked up some miles it's going to be higher than my quote for sure. Also they are probably desperate now given the whole lockdown situation. I manage to slash an additional $300 off. Gonna decide this week rather than later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumm3 View Post
Probably worth it IMHO. I had to have an OLED tail light replaced under warranty and the list price for the light was more than what they are quoting you on the extended warranty. GTS specific parts are expensive.
Interesting... Never heard of a tail light failing other than having to replace a bulb lol. I can imagine it being an expensive repair since the retrofit is like $10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
I am extending my warranty. It's just insurance against one catastrophic repair. I'm expecting the water injection system to blow up on me at some point, and I expect that'll be more expensive than the warranty cost.
Trying to get them to replace the tank now before the original warranty expires... but it seems like the dealer won't do anything without a fault code being thrown.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sport Evo/JP M3/M4 GTS

I plan on extending my warranty. Currently still have about 3 years left.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.. I was reading the fine print in exclusions and its saying headlamps aren't included. I asked my dealer about the tail lights and they said no as well. Wonder how you managed to get it replaced?

Here's the list of exclusions:

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS ARE EXCLUDED: friction clutch disc, pressure plate and clutch release bearing, hinges, glass, glass framework and fastening adhesives, lenses, body parts and/or panels, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, structural framework, convertible top framework, structural welds, removable hardtop assemblies, bumpers, trim, moldings, weather strips, door panels, door handles, door lock cylinders (other than ignition lock cylinders), tires, wheels, wheel rims, wheel covers, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, batteries (except for hybrid/electric batteries), spark plugs, distributor caps, wiper blades, brake pads, linings, rotors and drums, lights, headlamps, sealed beams, fuses, bulbs, LEDS, filters, lubricants, or fluids not replaced in conjunction with a covered repair, upholstery, carpet, vinyl and convertible tops, outside ornamentation, paint, chrome and other bright metal, sheet metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, software updates related to multimedia system (unless a “malfunction indicator” light is on, or your vehicle does not operate properly), and non-factory audio equipment.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinuwin View Post
Quote:
Hmm.. I was reading the fine print in exclusions and its saying headlamps aren't included. I asked my dealer about the tail lights and they said no as well. Wonder how you managed to get it replaced?

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS ARE EXCLUDED: friction clutch disc, pressure plate and clutch release bearing, hinges, glass, glass framework and fastening adhesives, lenses, body parts and/or panels, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, structural framework, convertible top framework, structural welds, removable hardtop assemblies, bumpers, trim, moldings, weather strips, door panels, door handles, door lock cylinders (other than ignition lock cylinders), tires, wheels, wheel rims, wheel covers, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, batteries (except for hybrid/electric batteries), spark plugs, distributor caps, wiper blades, brake pads, linings, rotors and drums, lights, headlamps, sealed beams, fuses, bulbs, LEDS, filters, lubricants, or fluids not replaced in conjunction with a covered repair, upholstery, carpet, vinyl and convertible tops, outside ornamentation, paint, chrome and other bright metal, sheet metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, software updates related to multimedia system (unless a “malfunction indicator” light is on, or your vehicle does not operate properly), and non-factory audio equipment.
They replaced it no questions asked. I have a good dealer and good relationship with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:39 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Wow helluva price for a GTS, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I just extended mine for another 4 years. Good piece of mind for the GTS. A regular production M I would opt to not extend, but the GTS has a lot of unique parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

Hello everyone i am in the market for a GTS as well. How does the warranty work, does it have to be in warranty to be able to purchase the additional warranty on the car ? Thanks for the help.
      04-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybro View Post
Hello everyone i am in the market for a GTS as well. How does the warranty work, does it have to be in warranty to be able to purchase the additional warranty on the car ? Thanks for the help.
AFAIK to extend the factory warranty the car needs to still be under warranty. You can also opt for a 3rd party warranty. I think most people here are considering the factory warranty extension.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:

Thats because he got it replaced under the bumper to bumper new car warranty from BMW. What your dealer is selling you is a 3rd party warranty that's not the same as the new car warranty that came with your car.

Also, Platinum is a pain in the ass to deal with. They will often replace broken parts with non factory or used parts. The warranty they are offering is cheap for a reason. Try getting a quote for an actual BMW extended warranty and you will be surprised at how much that will cost you.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:36 AM   #13
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Thats because he got it replaced under the bumper to bumper new car warranty from BMW. What your dealer is selling you is a 3rd party warranty that's not the same as the new car warranty that came with your car.

Also, Platinum is a pain in the ass to deal with. They will often replace broken parts with non factory or used parts. The warranty they are offering is cheap for a reason. Try getting a quote for an actual BMW extended warranty and you will be surprised at how much that will cost you.
Are you referring to the BMW Platinum extended coverage? I had that on my wife's E93 and never had any problems with repair. Bought the extended warranty since day one and dealer offered third party as well but in the end went with BMW Platinum coverage.
On my F80 I also went with BMW coverage instead of third party.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Wow helluva price for a GTS, congrats!
Thanks! A loaded 2018 cost about $80k here and a brand new 2020 cost $110k. Worth the extra $20k over the 2018 LCI considering all the upgrades and R&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I just extended mine for another 4 years. Good piece of mind for the GTS. A regular production M I would opt to not extend, but the GTS has a lot of unique parts.
They only offered me 3 years because my KM still low and I'm eligible under new car extended warranty. Just about to extend mine however. Hoping the major components will be covered. I guess replacing the water tank will be worth it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post

Platinum was the only option offered by the dealer that is not 3rd party. They assured me it was most similar to the original factory warranty minus maintenance. Guess I'll just opt. for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Planning to get BMW warranty as well. Not third party even though they are cheaper since they do not guarantee genuine BMW parts.
I think the maximum would be an additional 3 years for the Gts.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #16
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Planning to get BMW warranty as well. Not third party even though they are cheaper since they do not guarantee genuine BMW parts.
I think the maximum would be an additional 3 years for the Gts.
How much is it. I heard $6k. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
How much is it. I heard $6k. Is that true?
Platinum:

$6k for 75 mo/75k mi
$7k for 84 mo/75k mi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #18
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Platinum:

$6k for 75 mo/75k mi
$7k for 84 mo/75k mi
Be aware that the warranty includes the initial 4 years. So an 84 month warranty is actually a 3 year warranty.
That is what I was told.
Someone please let me know if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #19
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Be aware that the warranty includes the initial 4 years. So an 84 month warranty is actually a 3 year warranty.
That is what I was told.
Someone please let me know if I am wrong.
Correct - subtract 48 mo for the original factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #20
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Platinum was the only option offered by the dealer that is not 3rd party. They assured me it was most similar to the original factory warranty minus maintenance. Guess I'll just opt. for peace of mind.
Platinum is a 3rd company warranty company that is sold at all the dealers in North America. It's actually not underwritten by BMW. Also pay attention to the word "similar" as that is very vague.

I am not saying it's a bad deal, but I am just pointing out that you have to read the terms carefully. Ask that they give you time to read the terms before signing anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:03 AM   #21
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO

I believe GOLFFRR sells BMW original extended warranties for a good price. I tagged him so he can chime in, mine is coming up and I'm actually interested too.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #22
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I am a firm believer that my out of pocket costs will be less than an extended warranty (knock on wood). I also tend to trade in/sell cars around the 12 month mark or less. I am trying to stop that habit as it drives my wife crazy.
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50