European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #837
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
The frustrations with slow cars and bad drivers in DE groups is one of the reasons I went to W2W racing. I'll occasionally do a DE session, but only in open passing groups. I usually end up acting like a total d@ck to slow cars in DE and scare myself back into race group.

You do occasionally come across slower drivers in race group in higher powered cars too. Getting around them in the turns is usually just a small challenge and then you can block the sh#t out them on the next straight before the turns.

I have a couple of days off over the Memorial Day Holiday Weekend. I'll try to get the F8X lap times board updated.

I'll put this video up from last race weekend. I was racing against my racing mentor, Leroy. Was on his ass all weekend, but I couldn't make a pass stick until he finally made a mistake in the championship race on Sunday, then tragedy struck for me on the second to last lap with victory in sight. From a Corvette that should never been behind us anyway.

Haha, super cool! Thank you for sharing.

You need a 6 speed gearbox, is that allowed?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #838
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
My post wasn't meant as a comparison between us, but you opened the door wide for me to rant about my frustrations from last weekend .

So much traffic: very slow 944, older Boxsters/Caymans, Miatas and even a 356 in the Black run group. I don't mind traffic as long as the point-bys come fast enough to keep the traffic fluid. But here, we kept being stuck behind a bunch of cars lap after lap, those huge trains can become frustrating .

Despite the frustrations with traffic, WGI remains one epic track that I truly enjoy. I usually only go once a year, but I am considering going for seconds this year, as I did not fully get my fix
Try Chin Motorsports. Usually their run groups are faster than the norm, better drivers. So if you start at the front, you can maybe get a few clean laps.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      05-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #839
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
The frustrations with slow cars and bad drivers in DE groups is one of the reasons I went to W2W racing. I'll occasionally do a DE session, but only in open passing groups. I usually end up acting like a total d@ck to slow cars in DE and scare myself back into race group.

You do occasionally come across slower drivers in race group in higher powered cars too. Getting around them in the turns is usually just a small challenge and then you can block the sh#t out them on the next straight before the turns.

I have a couple of days off over the Memorial Day Holiday Weekend. I'll try to get the F8X lap times board updated.

I'll put this video up from last race weekend. I was racing against my racing mentor, Leroy. Was on his ass all weekend, but I couldn't make a pass stick until he finally made a mistake in the championship race on Sunday, then tragedy struck for me on the second to last lap with victory in sight. From a Corvette that should never been behind us anyway.

Thanks for sharing. Wow. That’s a really random reason to end up spending some $$ on the race car!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #840
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, anyone have lap times for Toronto motorsports park in Cayuga?

I went this past Sunday to an open lapping day run by the track and it was a bit of a gong show with wildly varying levels of driver skill and vehicle prep, and heavy traffic throughout because of the need for point by (and not getting them in a timely fashion).

Best I could stitch together in those conditions was 1:28 (hand timed) in borrowed stock gt4
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #841
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Haha, super cool! Thank you for sharing.

You need a 6 speed gearbox, is that allowed?
Just needed to be not lazy and put my 3.64 diff in. Weird thing is, even with all that coasting the last third of the drag strip I ended up smashing the track record. My car was killing it on the infield with the 4.10. Third gear really rips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Thanks for sharing. Wow. That’s a really random reason to end up spending some $$ on the race car!
Yeah, never ends. Just glad I figured out what was going on in time to lift before the end of the straight.

Karma was a bitch to the yellow Corvette though. He stayed out, and on the next lap tried to pass Leroy on the outside at the end of the drag strip (the line I took when I figured out my car was spewing oil). He slid on my oil (from his projectile) into the tire wall going about Mach 3. Luckily the tire wall saved him and his car severe damage, but his car is now half black.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #842
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
1:34.07 pfl M3 CS (NT01, Ferodo DSUNO)
big board updated. PM me for major errors or omissions

Thank you to those of you that put a one line entry in your post like the above example and like every entry on the big board! Makes it so much easier to copy and paste instead of manually sifting through a post to get lap times.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #843
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
My post wasn't meant as a comparison between us, but you opened the door wide for me to rant about my frustrations from last weekend .

So much traffic: very slow 944, older Boxsters/Caymans, Miatas and even a 356 in the Black run group. I don't mind traffic as long as the point-bys come fast enough to keep the traffic fluid. But here, we kept being stuck behind a bunch of cars lap after lap, those huge trains can become frustrating .

Despite the frustrations with traffic, WGI remains one epic track that I truly enjoy. I usually only go once a year, but I am considering going for seconds this year, as I did not fully get my fix
I definitely took it as a comparison Just kidding, we would probably have a good time chasing eachother around WGI!

Quote:
Talk to me about it, 3 days and nothing close to a fluid lap

Like I replied above, I don't mind traffic as long as it is fluid. But some drivers at this event where bloody slow with point-bys !

WGI remains an epic track and we still had a bunch of fun though .
Did you run with PCA? Most of the PCA events I attend are a bit of a shit show, terrible passing signals, late point-bys, no lifting to allow for a safe pass, etc. And that's in the instructor group! The student groups are bad too since those same "instructors" are supposedly teaching novice/intermediate guys. I enjoy attending those events for various reasons but it's much harder to get clean safe laps running with PCA.

Chin is the best organization I've ever ran with. Small quantity of cars and very professional when it comes to passing etiquette. Probably the reason race teams are frequently doing their events for test and tunes.

Quote:

That's the next step for me. DE's are a blast, but once you start picking up the pace and running with various levels of experience the risk(s) seem to increase as well.

I'm slowly trying to find a way into racing, preferable W2W. Seems like I missed the majority of the race schools for this year and I still need to figure out each organization to run with. Right now group endurance racing seems to make the most sense. Alternatively I may consider doing semi-competitive adult karting for a year or two.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 05-24-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #844
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
COTA- 2.25.27

17' M3
Pure Stg 2 Turbos (93 tune)
AST 5200
Apex EC7 18x10,11
Pirelli DH scrubs
Stoptech BBK

Ran that lap getting held up slightly by a Miata after turn 12, going wide over the curbing in carosel and driving with a pretty bad midcorner to exit push in the car. No question the car has quite alot of time left in it.. I will post video up at end of week that shows the lap and AIM. I feel like car has some low 20's in it with a little softer front springs on it.
About to board the USS John Stennis aircraft carrier to cruise up to Norfolk with my son today... Gonna be cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #845
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2.29:76
1010ths Motorsports HPDE May 26th, 2019
NCM Grand Full Course
2016 M3 Civic with the following mods:

RE71Rs 265/285, TC Kline DAs with -2.5 camber, DTC70 pads, and GTS coding for MDM. Dear wife... fastest lap.

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      05-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #846
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

PittRace (Pittsburgh International Race Complex)
2016 BMW M3 Competition Package

1:56.07s. OhioRiderAaron M3 Competition Package (RE71R, Ferodo)

Well I think I've concluded the NT01s are inferior to the RE71R (not a shocker given the older-tech of the Nittos). While you can run laps that are within a few tenths for both tires, the Nittos require more work to get there and don't instill nearly the same confidence that the Bridgestone's do. It's unfortunate that they don't offer much wider sizes for 18/19in wheel combinations. All things considered I'm pretty happy with this laptime (virtual best was 1:56.07s as well), but there's probably a few seconds left in there somewhere.

Pretty good showing for BMW this weekend too. E36s, E46s, 1series, M2, M2C, M4, E30's. Had fun chasing some of them around throughout the weekend!

Appreciate 2
      05-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #847
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

1:49.47 pfl M3 CS (NT01, Ferodo DSUNO front pads, OEM rear pads)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #848
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
PittRace (Pittsburgh International Race Complex)
2016 BMW M3 Competition Package

1:56.07s. OhioRiderAaron M3 Competition Package (RE71R, Ferodo)

Well I think I've concluded the NT01s are inferior to the RE71R (not a shocker given the older-tech of the Nittos). While you can run laps that are within a few tenths for both tires, the Nittos require more work to get there and don't instill nearly the same confidence that the Bridgestone's do. It's unfortunate that they don't offer much wider sizes for 18/19in wheel combinations. All things considered I'm pretty happy with this laptime (virtual best was 1:56.07s as well), but there's probably a few seconds left in there somewhere.

Pretty good showing for BMW this weekend too. E36s, E46s, 1series, M2, M2C, M4, E30's. Had fun chasing some of them around throughout the weekend!

Nice run Aaron. But crossing the out our line should be a 5 second penalty
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #849
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

High Plains Raceway, Deer Trail, CO

2:16.20, CRRobert, ‘18 M3 ZCP, DCT (PS4S, MP HAS, GC camber Plates, DS2500)

New track to add to the list. Woo hoo, I am the fastest, oh, guess that means i am the slowest also.

Will be able to add Pueblo Motorsports Park, Pueblo CO to the list in a couple of weeks.

First track day out with the M3 and the M Laptimer only worked for 1 session. Will try something different next time. This lap was 16 seconds faster than my best last year in my 340xi 6MT. Only been on the track for 2 total days (1 each car) Had a few consistent laps around 2:19.

Was in the BMWCCA HDPE class C for the first time, no one passed me, except for when I spun in turn 11. That was the first session, but continued to make progress all day and had great fun.

Will add screenshot of M Laptimer and try to add video when I get it downloaded.

Last edited by CRRobert; 05-28-2019 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      05-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #850
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
If no cars are coming onto the track you can take that line.

The corner worker on the front straight gives a hand signal if he wants you to stay right, and there's a corner worker at the top of the hill to black flag if necessary. Never heard from the track staff all weekend!

That corner is MUCH safer when using the full track, you can square it off as you crest the hill and there's less chance of running out of track or spinning. One of my first instructors with NASA spun and totaled his racecar on that very turn.

Landa-y, there were a few other M2s (Competition and standard) there as well, hopefully they'll post up for ya. Stop you're whining

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #851
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
High Plains Raceway, Deer Trail, CO

2:16.20, CRRobert, ‘18 M3 ZCP, DCT (PS4S, MP HAS, GC camber Plates, DS2500)

New track to add to the list. Woo hoo, I am the fastest, oh, guess that means i am the slowest also.

Will be able to add Pueblo Motorsports Park, Pueblo CO to the list in a couple of weeks.

First track day out with the M3 and the M Laptimer only worked for 1 session. Will try something different next time. This lap was 16 seconds faster than my best last year in my 340xi 6MT. Only been on the track for 2 total days (1 each car) Had a few consistent laps around 2:19.

Was in the BMWCCA HDPE class C for the first time, no one passed me, except for when I spun in turn 11. That was the first session, but continued to make progress all day and had great fun.

Will add screenshot of M Laptimer and try to add video when I get it downloaded.
Let me try video... argh, tips for how to do Vimeo embed?

https://vimeo.com/339263280

one thing to note, M Laptimer shows the start/finish on the back straight, so that is how I edited the video. Did not have all the data logging so a work in progress.

Last edited by CRRobert; 05-29-2019 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: trying to get Vimeo video to show up
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #852
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

Took my M4 out for it's first track day. NJMP Lightning
2018 M4 Comp 6mt with CCBs and 437 wheels on Re71r tires. This was my second ever track day so I'm no veteran but I do have a ton of autox experience which makes adaptation to track days a breeze imo. We had some scheduling issues as the SCCA was running qualifiers for today's race and we were lumped in with them. Essentially what that meant is 20 min on, 20 min off for 3 sessions. It was HOT, in the mid to high 80s and the cars never got a chance to cool off but the car did great. First session I went out just to get a feel for the track and car and ended up running mid 1:17s. Pretty slow imo but the car really didn't seem to have grip. I left paddock at 34 psi all around and came in with the fronts at 44 and the rears are 46. Insane lol. Second session was a waste of time as 2 laps in I got a warning that my tires are low so I'm thinking I have a tire going down, pull off, check the tires, all at 37psi....strange. The TPMS sensors said 231 degrees so I'm thinking they freaked out and tripped or something. Whatever I go back out and 2 laps in I start getting fuel cut so I go back in. I literally went through 3/4 of a tank of gas in less then 30 min. Fill the car up for my last session and finally got a decent time of 1:14.8. Not bad for a virtually stock car. The tires got greasy fast and I had a couple moments here and there as the car just really moves around at all times. The 100 percent stock CCBs and fluids did an amazing job, insane braking power, I can engage abs at will at any point in time. When they get hot, they start squeeling a little but never fade. I somehow lost a center cap as I believe it melted lol, and the other front is moving around so I'll have to replace those. The car is a riot but kinda vague and floaty. Pretty sure with an actual cool down and a cooler day I can get thing into the 1:13s no doubt.

Here is my 1:14.8, it was a 1:14.5 untill I had a moment exiting the bowl...I really suck at the bowl as I just don't trust the car on the banking....and the video prooves why. You loose it there, your car is gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #853
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:

What size RE71R's are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #854
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
What size RE71R's are you running?
I've ran thru two sets and putting on my third set now. 255/275 and 265/35/19 & 285/35/19. I don't think Bridgestone offers anything wider in 18inch either (for APEX wheels). Very similar lap times with both sizes. Flipped once after 2-3 trackdays and get another 2-4 days out of em before they're bald.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #855
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

NJMP Thunderbolt

1:37.07 NYG M4 CS (NT01, PFC11)

The first clear lap I had came in the last session so not a great time but I figure I'd offer as a reference for other drivers.

Lap times measured with XGPS160.
Appreciate 1
c0nrad93.00
      06-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #856
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
I've ran thru two sets and putting on my third set now. 255/275 and 265/35/19 & 285/35/19. I don't think Bridgestone offers anything wider in 18inch either (for APEX wheels). Very similar lap times with both sizes. Flipped once after 2-3 trackdays and get another 2-4 days out of em before they're bald.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Great information, thank you. One last question, are you running that on the stock 19's?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #857
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Great information, thank you. One last question, are you running that on the stock 19's?
Yes sir! It's a great dual purpose setup too.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #858
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Nice clean lap! Quick question - Is this Harrys laptimer synced with a GoPro with external GPS and OBD I assume?
Appreciate 0