Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #89
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Well after a couple of days since I drove that 335d, I still feel the same and in no way will I swap my M3 for a 335d. It just not worth losing the money over to downgrade to that car.

I'm really starting to enjoy the M3 and obviously driving the 335d was a big wake up call in me realising what car I've got.

Yes, the things I've moaned about are still there (not so comfortable seats, heavy steering, firm suspension, slight lack of torque on the motorway), but to be honest these are not now as significant when you realise what the M3 is really about. For me now the positives are way out shining the negatives. In fact the seats are actually far better than the M Sports seats - I still have slight lower back ache even now which I know is from the 335d on Saturday (wife prefers the M3 seats too) and I've started driving in Comfort suspension mode and much prefer it. Was in Sport all the time before so probably why I was moaning about the firmness.

And the steering on the 3 series, well the lack of feel (ie not connected to the road) and lightness is bordering on the bloody awful, so I now appreciate the M3 steering.

Now although the torque may be lacking very slightly (but not disconcertingly) as I've mentioned before one thing you do notice even in Efficient is when you first step on the throttle the M3 really wants to pull from a standstill as it attempts to lurch forward. The 335d is far too soft in comparison and doesn't have that initial bite at all.

Anyway, I've let Tony know (who prepared some figures on a 335d) that I wont be interested and even he said it is the right decision keeping the M3 - and he's a salesman!! Top bloke!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
DazC902.00
M5essex641.50
      11-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #90
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Well after a couple of days since I drove that 335d, I still feel the same and in no way will I swap my M3 for a 335d. It just not worth losing the money over to downgrade to that car.

I'm really starting to enjoy the M3 and obviously driving the 335d was a big wake up call in me realising what car I've got.

Yes, the things I've moaned about are still there (not so comfortable seats, heavy steering, firm suspension, slight lack of torque on the motorway), but to be honest these are not now as significant when you realise what the M3 is really about. For me now the positives are way out shining the negatives. In fact the seats are actually far better than the M Sports seats - I still have slight lower back ache even now which I know is from the 335d on Saturday (wife prefers the M3 seats too) and I've started driving in Comfort suspension mode and much prefer it. Was in Sport all the time before so probably why I was moaning about the firmness.

And the steering on the 3 series, well the lack of feel (ie not connected to the road) and lightness is bordering on the bloody awful, so I now appreciate the M3 steering.

Now although the torque may be lacking very slightly (but not disconcertingly) as I've mentioned before one thing you do notice even in Efficient is when you first step on the throttle the M3 really wants to pull from a standstill as it attempts to lurch forward. The 335d is far too soft in comparison and doesn't have that initial bite at all.

Anyway, I've let Tony know (who prepared some figures on a 335d) that I wont be interested and even he said it is the right decision keeping the M3 - and he's a salesman!! Top bloke!!
So now I can come round for a cuppa and take you out in my one
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #91
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
So now I can come round for a cuppa and take you out in my one
Yes of course Guy! Just let me know if you are in the area and I'll see about working from home.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #92
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes of course Guy! Just let me know if you are in the area and I'll see about working from home.
No probs. Not quite as and when but will give you some warning.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #93
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:

good man Andy. you know it makes sense

lovely wheels you had on that 335 tourer by the way

with this cold spell its a shame we don't have switchable 4WD on our Ms.. as no doubt the 335xd will feel safer than the M3 did driving into work today
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #94
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post

with this cold spell its a shame we don't have switchable 4WD on our Ms.. as no doubt the 335xd will feel safer than the M3 did driving into work today
And where would the fun be in that?
Appreciate 2
Karlj172.50
dopper993528.00
      11-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #95
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Quote:

Just make sure to defrost the side windows so you can see where you're going and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 2
dopper993528.00
gtsussex1854.00
      11-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #96
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Yes, believe it or not the 20" wheels were the ONLY option on that 335d!!!!!! It's up for sale at Marshall BMW and no other options are listed, so felt a bit poverty spec.
Our ass's were stone cold for 10 mins till they warmed up by themselves.

But I agree with everything you said Dammo in your earlier post regarding the 335d. Just needed to see for myself.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
M5essex641.50
      11-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #97
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Tyres nice and 'entertaining' at these temps!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #98
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

It was perfect winter tyre temps on my run home to Yorkshire from Essex yesterday evening 0c to -2c all of the way.
      12-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #99
fiche335
Private
Rep
Drives: F40 135i

I've been reading this thread with interest. I currently drive an e92 LCI 335i 6MT with JB4 and other mods which has been dyno'd at 420bhp.

Having said all this, I'm feeling the need to move into an f80 M3. Much as I love the fact that the e92 is a sleeper and looks like a 320d touring in the car park. The f31 340i is an auto only. I would prefer to stay with the touring but I really want to retain the manual gearbox.

There's all of the other reasons why a 340 will be a better all-rounder but if we wanted that we wouldn't be on this forum would we??
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #100
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

On a similar theme of testing other cars and differences between the M3 etc......

I had this 430d GC M Sport sdrive loaner yesterday while mine was in for a suspension strut change. They apologised for it being filthy as I seemed to be swapped into it at the last minute, but I didn't care, just happy with a decent 6 cylinder for a change.

First interesting point to note is that you can spec 18" 398 orbit grey wheels which come as standard with NON run flats. And they come fitted with ........... Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

So you can imagine we're off to a good start with regards handling, comfort, grip, ride etc... without the awful run flats. The handling was very good with hardly any body roll with reasonably brisk cornering (but nothing too crazy). Very well balanced. But because it’s so comfortable, steady, sure and secure compared to the M you can’t help thinking it’s getting a bit boring after a while.

One thing that really surprised me was when I came to a stop the car would rock front to back several times, just slightly but noticeable. The first time it did this I thought it was an SE and had to double check the spec sheet!

However, being an sdrive with RWD proper M Sport suspension it handled much better than the SE sprung 335d I drove the other week. That 335d was ok up to a point then felt decidedly iffy when pushed.

Now the power delivery was similar to the 530d loaner I had, obviously, but maybe a little more pokey being a slightly smaller, lighter car. These diesels are very easy to drive fast around town at speeds below say 50mph. One flex of the foot and the pick up is there straight away due to the torque and I'm sure the guys that have moved from diesels to petrols have probably noticed this. I’d still say even that 430d pulls you harder than the M3 (over a small rev range) … but its ONLY short lived. So it’s a short hard pull, then its gone, then change up gear and repeat. Took the wife out and when you floor it I noticed she was being yanked back in the seat so I could tell it was torquey’er. Or maybe its just the way the torque is delivered. It just "feels" quick due to the torque, even though it is nowhere near as quick as the M3.
I guess if you put the M3 in Sport+ throttle its pretty close in "pull", but I dont drive in that mode all the time.

But there is no doubt the M3 is far, far quicker once out on the open road, that 430d wouldn’t see which way the M3 went once you get over 50mph.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 12-09-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
gatsojon498.00
      12-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #101
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

And another thing the steering is so light and lifeless, like the 335d I drove. The M steering although heavier is far, far superior.

Still glad to get back into mine at the end of the day

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
DazC902.00
gatsojon498.00
      12-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #102
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
And another thing the steering is so light and lifeless, like the 335d I drove. The M steering although heavier is far, far superior.

Still glad to get back into mine at the end of the day
The GC is a good looker though!