Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
anthony_12347
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

Steering precision/feel with Pilot Sport 4S vs OE MPSS on F82 ZCP

The OE Pilot Super Sports on my 2020 M4 ZCP are almost at the end of their tread life, and starting to look around for replacement tires.

I'm stuck on what to do between replacing with the exact same BMW * Pilot Super Sports tuned for the F82, or getting the newer generic Pilot Sport 4S.

For reference, I'd be keeping the exact size/specs as stock on the 666M rims:
265/30R20 94Y on the fronts
285/30R20 99Y on the rears

I got some opinions from local dealer & tire shops and it's been mixed. Some say stick with the Star BMW Super Sports, as they've had the 'soft sidewall'/steering complaints from some clients who replaced them on M2/M4s and were not what they expected. Others have said that it's exaggerated, and the newer Pilot Sport 4S makes up for that small degradation with much better everyday grip and wet handling.

I've skimmed through the forum posts here, but wanted to get some thoughts specifically on steering precision/ front end feel from those who have run the new 4S for a while. This is my biggest worry that I'm coming across in my research. Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

My 2018 M4 comp has SS on the front and PS4S on the rear

I've only had it 5 months but I am astonished at how amazing the front end is.

Wet or dry it just turns in

It does lack a little feel but now that I know it will turn in and it's more a case of managing the back end.

In the Uk and Ireland the consensus is the PS4s is the top Michelin.

Maybe wait for the PS5?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:22 AM   #3
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

I'm trying to figure out the same thing OP. Everyone says the 4S is a better tire but I have friends who have had better times around The ring with *PSS. Also, there are mixed views as some say the 4S has less steering feel but better we traction and *PSS have better dry traction. Kind of hard to decide. *PSS is also an almost 10 year old tire.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I have been using both tires. They are good at different things.
the Supersports are good for warm weather and track days and steering response, the PS4S is good att everything else. Cold weather grip, comfort and every day use. The steering response is not as good as the Supersports but there is a few things that can be done to improve it. I changed my caster bushings to eccentric ones to be able to increase the caster angle. This gives a better steering response and straight line stability without running more camber for street use.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
anthony_12347
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

Appreciate the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
I have been using both tires. They are good at different things.
the Supersports are good for warm weather and track days and steering response, the PS4S is good att everything else. Cold weather grip, comfort and every day use. The steering response is not as good as the Supersports but there is a few things that can be done to improve it. I changed my caster bushings to eccentric ones to be able to increase the caster angle. This gives a better steering response and straight line stability without running more camber for street use.
Yes, your observations are pretty spot on with what I've heard from multiple sources. So ya I don't really think there is a 'right' answer in terms of which tire is the best choice in all scenarios.

I actually put in the order today for a new set of Super Sports. In the Toronto area they are actually incredibly hard to find, and seem to be sold out almost everywhere, had to do a bit of searching.

For me, my M4 is primarily a summer car used in good weather, and I'm fortunate to have another daily driver for use in crappy weather and for trips on really rough roads. My reasoning I guess is I'd rather keep the better warm dry grip and the steering precision (which I'll appreciate 100% of the time), and sacrifice some of the added ride comfort, and additional grip at the limits (that I'll appreciate perhaps only at certain times).

I'm assuming by the time these tires need to be replaced, the PSS may even be discontinued, so my choice will probably be defaulted to the PS4S next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #6
Zomboss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
After 2 years with PS4S, I’m still bothered by the mushy steering feel. Increasing the tire pressure helps a bit. But too high and the steering becomes too light and still mushy. I will be going back to PSS* for my next set of tires. For me, I loved the feel of the PSS*, and I value that more than the other benefits of the PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #7
Bennv59
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

I'm running ps4s on my hre rims and i will be getting cup2s for the oem rims . It depends on what you are looking for. 4s are good for everyday driving and is a safer bet for most people but not as confidence inspiring when pushing the limits. If you can get your hands on some 4s* that would be the perfect world
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

Timely thread OP - I need to replace my tires as well on my 18' ZCP F80 as they're down to about 4mm in rear and 5mm in fronts. Thanks for the responses people, going to stick with the PSS since I'm in warm weather and just daily driver commuter.
      05-09-2022, 05:27 AM   #9
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

This thread super handy for me as well. i was doing research for new set of rear tyres and got incredible deal on PSS. I was more into Continental Sport Contact 7 - new tyre, as i was super happy with them on e92 with previous generation SportContact6.

So... reading all that seems PSS is not a bad choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 12:50 AM   #10
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

PS4S is more comfort orientated,yes, but if you live where the temp is under 15degrees Celsius often under the summer the Supersports are very slippy, especially if you have tuned the car. Same in the wet. Grip is much improved on a daily used car with PS4S. They are not as harsch and not as noisy.
But it's a matter of choice. I got tired of the flashing edc light in all three gears on the highway, sometimes in fourth too..
Appreciate 0