Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #67
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
Thanks for the guide Tom, very helpful though I have an issue that I'm hoping you can help address.

I used the same installation method that you described but when I turn the V1 on I get a "P" with two dots lit up and then a constant all dots alert that doesn't stop unless I turn off the device. Rinse and repeat every time I turn it on.

Any idea as to what could be the culprit?
Never seen that before. Verify +12V at the crimps with a digital multimeter.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #68
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the guide Tom, very helpful though I have an issue that I'm hoping you can help address.

I used the same installation method that you described but when I turn the V1 on I get a "P" with two dots lit up and then a constant all dots alert that doesn't stop unless I turn off the device. Rinse and repeat every time I turn it on.

Any idea as to what could be the culprit?
Never seen that before. Verify +12V at the crimps with a digital multimeter.
Thanks for the response Tom. This was so much easier when I lived in San Diego and your shop was a drive up the coast away.

Just tested the voltage and it's sitting at 12.9x never going over 13v. Any thoughts if this is too much voltage. For reference this is a 2018 with exec package and lane change warning.

For shits 'n giggles I tested out the v1 back on the cigarette adapter and sure enough I'm getting the same error. I must have shorted something out for it to behave this way.

I'll send it back out to Valentine for repair and software update since it's been about 7 years since it's last update.

Also for everyone's edification. I can verify that there are two brown wires with black stripes.

Best,
Rick
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #69
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

This guide was super useful for me to tap my dashcam! I ended up not using the spade style connector, but one that slices into the wire on both sides instead - they seem to be a bit more reliable and take up less space.

For the V1 - I've been running their "savvy" module for years, and it's pretty awesome. Plugs into the OBDII port, draws power from it and automutes based on a speed setting. Just run the RJ11 along the headliner and down the a-pillar.
Attached Images

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #70
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Received my updated V1 and still getting loads of false alarms. I stumbled onto this thread and it appears as though there is an issue with vehicles equipped with the touch screen Idrive screen. ☹️

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1431627&page=4

Looks like I’ll be looking for an elegant way to cover these sensors up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #71
F806speed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Received my updated V1 and still getting loads of false alarms. I stumbled onto this thread and it appears as though there is an issue with vehicles equipped with the touch screen Idrive screen. ☹️

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...627&page=4

Looks like I'll be looking for an elegant way to cover these sensors up.

I had the same issue hardwiring mine.
The touch screen throws false alarms for laser.
I mounted it lower to the dash and have the ugly coil cable across the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #72
tb's e90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolution View Post
I was able to do my install last night. It wasn't too hard just had to pry apart the plastic covering the rear-view mirror.

I tapped into the green-brown (+12V) and the brown-black (ground) with the provided MirrorTap pins. It took some wiggling and when I was testing it, there was some intermittent on/off for the V1, but eventually if you really stick the pins in there and have it oriented such that the wires don't move much, it will stick. Once I was able to determine that, I closed the plastic and used a cord organizer recommended by another person on this forum (on Amazon) to neatly store the hanging RJ11 cable.

It was definitely a pain trying to navigate the wires and moving the pins around. It was like playing Operation (the board game). I also was lazy and didn't remove the connector and was trying to navigate around the mirror.
Thanks for posting this - I followed these steps and was done in 10-15 minutes. It probably took longer to adjust the windshield mount on my r3!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #73
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Sub for future install
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #74
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I did mine the easy way. I plugged the lighter adapter into the 12v port under the glovebox and just ran the straight wire up the passenger A-pillar, tucked it under the headliner, and plugged it into the V2.

It took less than three minutes and I didn't have to fuck around with crimping anything.