Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #177
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Milltek are about a 20 min drive away
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #178
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
Milltek are about a 20 min drive away
Actually, this might be the perfect solution for M2C owners. TopGear can get the M3/M4 system out, and Milltek can lead the way for M2C. Both can be released within a few months of each other, and all S55 owners win.

Sooner or later the big names are going to catch on, we may as well try to be ahead of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #179
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Actually, this might be the perfect solution for M2C owners. TopGear can get the M3/M4 system out, and Milltek can lead the way for M2C. Both can be released within a few months of each other, and all S55 owners win.

Sooner or later the big names are going to catch on, we may as well try to be ahead of them.
Milltek sport is top of my list, given its cost, sound, and attractive carbon tip design. It's similar to the Remus but $1.5k USD less. The issue with it is their midpipe is designed for OPF cars so it doesn't quite line up correctly for US spec cars, requiring extra work to fit. It also doesn't totally kill the 3 cylinder noise, although nothing out there currently does.

If they designed a mid pipe to equalize the lengths mating to their current muffler design I'd buy it no question. Regardless whatever the solution is for the M2C i'll probably buy it no question though
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #180
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I’ve just had what seems a positive reply back from Milltek.
Will update here as to what, or if anything happens.
Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
Montaver2182.00
      12-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #181
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
That is incredible that they see value in this, wow! Between both itll redefine the "S55" sound (a real 6 cyl now) without needing to go custom.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #182
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post

Just for fun I brought out my guitar and compared top musical note of the V2 exhaust and MPE below. top note is still similar- the V2 ends up at about E right below A(440Hz) and the MPE go up to about F#. I guess it's due to tone- different harmonic components that make it higher pitched.

In the meantime (also for fun) top note of GT3 is only slightly higher, about quarter step above G# (almost close to 440Hz A).

I guess it's the 'tone' that matters a lot more.

These are new things I read and learn about so appreciate all the discussions and info.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...erent-feature/

p.s. I like MPE that it made big improvement over stock exhaust and there are tonal characteristics I like about; but yeah, having that said, I also have my eyes on the new exhaust development.
I would agree, the tonal change makes the sound more "dramatic" and less peaky in pitch (think of a triangle vs a mound in frequency range or a more natural roll-off), there's just more frequencies present, with none over-powering the other so it sounds less harsh and more mellow, smoother, and balanced character.

I would love to hook up a frequency meter to get objective #'s on the difference in range between both equal-length and none equal-length systems.

Also, would love to hear an MPE with equal-length set-ups as well. Given the nature that the MPE sounds higher in pitch and more "hollow" (so to speak), I feel it would sound pretty good.

Last edited by spool twice; 12-31-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #183
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Yes I have a new sound clip of this
I can't wait to hear this! did you get that x-pipe crossover installed now?
Not yet probably soon, hopefully in the next month
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #184
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:

ntg44, please have TopGear include some clean looking tips on the production exhaust, no burnt blue ricer tips mmmkay?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #185
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
ntg44, please have TopGear include some clean looking tips on the production exhaust, no burnt blue ricer tips mmmkay?
Even though I'm not the one calling the shots at all, I can say with a high level of confidence blue tips probably won't be an option haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #186
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Well, I’ve just had what seems a positive reply back from Milltek.
Will update here as to what, or if anything happens.
Keep us updated on this please mate, I've already tried one popular BMW exhaust mod place and they basically laughed at the idea and said it doesn't make any sense...

would be great to have someone like Milltek on this
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #187
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespheely View Post
Keep us updated on this please mate, I've already tried one popular BMW exhaust mod place and they basically laughed at the idea and said it doesn't make any sense...

Did they laugh at the concept or the execution? I can see why a performance shop wouldn't do this. No performance benefit. But if they haven't heard the results, may be worth showing them.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #188
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did they laugh at the concept or the execution? I can see why a performance shop wouldn't do this. No performance benefit. But if they haven't heard the results, may be worth showing them.

the concept, in their words "honestly, that's utter rubbish", "it literally makes no sense". I provided them with links to the videos but obviously didn't care enough to watch them.

Edit: It's worth adding this isn't a performance shops, they modify OEM mufflers and resonators purely for sound improvement.

Last edited by jrp73; 01-01-2020 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #189
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the concept, in their words "honestly, that's utter rubbish", "it literally makes no sense". I provided them with links to the videos but obviously didn't care enough to watch them.
Proof is in the piping

No worries, once TopGear and hopefully Milltek come out with these, companies will start noticing.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #190
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
....and the reason the S55 had sounded like the S55 for years. Thank goodness a few of us took charge of this.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #191
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

There hasn't been a performance loss with any of these custom systems has there? Just curious. Not like other aftermarket systems are known for independently documented gains.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #192
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Edit: It's worth adding this isn't a performance shops, they modify OEM mufflers and resonators purely for sound improvement.
PCW?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #193
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I would agree, the tonal change makes the sound more "dramatic" and less peaky in pitch (think of a triangle vs a mound in frequency range or a more natural roll-off), there's just more frequencies present, with none over-powering the other so it sounds less harsh and more mellow, smoother, and balanced character.

I would love to hook up a frequency meter to get objective #'s on the difference in range between both equal-length and none equal-length systems.

Also, would love to hear an MPE with equal-length set-ups as well. Given the nature that the MPE sounds higher in pitch and more "hollow" (so to speak), I feel it would sound pretty good.
In fact I was wrong, the dominant note in human (my) ears for MPE is about one octave lower than the V2 equal length exhaust and the porsche. Definitely looking forward to seeing a quality commercial produects coming out with this improved sound! Yes MPE has distinctive lighter and crisper tone perhaps coming form the material (titanium muffler...and that $5000) which would be nice to be preserved. (edit) First we will see the proven full exhaust (which could be already a big leap forward if all goes well) and then hopefully there will be also proven modification solution for MPE.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 01-01-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #194
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Where is RMDZidane? I hope he's OK. I've sent him a PM with no response. I'm wondering if I should wait for a final product from one of the masters here or if I should butcher my MPE, this thread has me literally hating the sound of my car as of late. My brother in law did say it sounds good when I'm next to him but only at WOT at high PRMs. I want straight 6 sounds now!

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #195
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
There hasn't been a performance loss with any of these custom systems has there? Just curious. Not like other aftermarket systems are known for independently documented gains.
I don't think anyone has put their car on the dyno to find out. I know that the TopGear production system will be dyno tested against my stock exhaust, but I'd wager any gains would be a result of 2nd cat delete. The stock exhaust is about as straight through as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #196
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

PCW?
Spot on, I was quite disappointed with his attitude to be honest. I would have thought if anyone was up for experimenting it would have been him :
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #197
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
I'm wondering if I should wait for a final product from one of the masters here or if I should butcher my MPE, this thread has me literally hating the sound of my car as of late. My brother in law did say it sounds good when I'm next to him but only at WOT at high PRMs. I want straight 6 sounds now!
Just curious, what is your reason for wanting to keep your MPE muffler and hack up the mid section? I'm looking at the mid section's pipe routing and it looks like a nightmare compared to stock exhaust due to where the valves are and how there's an extra split to the muffler that the stock one doesn't have.

You could try cutting it right before the pipes split, but that looks like it would be tight as hell to get the extra length on one side, merge, and route back out to the 2 entrances with clamps, since I'm assuming you won't find a titanium fabricator to weld in some kind of x pipe collector. I'm not sure there's room for all that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #198
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Spot on, I was quite disappointed with his attitude to be honest. I would have thought if anyone was up for experimenting it would have been him :
Perhaps adding pipes isn’t within his remit.
Hacking open mufflers is though, and possibly the thought of these cars sounding better with extra pipes than a butchered back box worries him

I’m just surmising....
Appreciate 0