European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Pagid RS29 vs. OEM for a DD

I am looking to get rs29 pads and I wonder how they compare to stock pads for street driving. I know they will be noisier, but I have not seen any comments on the following:
- will the stopping distance be noticeably longer for street driving due to lower temps?
- are they noticeably dustier for street driving?
- do they wear faster than stock pads?
- do they wear the rotors faster than stock pads?

I need them for occasional track days and I will buy them for sure, but I just wonder whether I should leave them on if I can put up with the noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I run pfc08 fluids and lines.
Squeals and dusty but idk the stopping distance is worth it.
Stock pads are a joke even on street. If youre not used the noise then don’t do it. Rock on
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree the stock pads are a joke even on street. Noticed that right away when I upgraded from an Audi 3 years ago and I can't put up with that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
I agree the stock pads are a joke even on street. Noticed that right away when I upgraded from an Audi 3 years ago and I can't put up with that anymore.
What issues do you have with them?

I've had no issues or fade with stock pads, I've thrashed them on mountain roads and crawled along in town with them. They've been perfect and consistent throughout.
Wouldn't expect much from them on track obviously.

I've swapped to Endless MX72 so I can do the occasional trackday but they do end up with vibration or noise issues after a trackday, I think this car takes them beyond their operating temp range. I've done 3 trackdays and now see some crumbling around the sides + streaking on rotors.

So I'd also be keen to know of a trackpad that isn't too unbearable on the street.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
What issues do you have with them?

I've had no issues or fade with stock pads, I've thrashed them on mountain roads and crawled along in town with them. They've been perfect and consistent throughout.
Wouldn't expect much from them on track obviously.
I'm used to a better bite in street driving with less dust at the same time. I think the pads are too small to give me that - it's a compromize - the brakes a lighter but need higher-friction pads for adequate stopping. Then on the track having to shed speed from 130mph down to 60 before a turn makes me feel uneasy with these pads and I have intermediate track skills so I decided it was time to try the pagids.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

With regards to vibrations after a track day, I get that with the stock pads too bit it clears up after a week of street driving and, no, I don't engage the parking brake after I get back to the paddock.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
I'm used to a better bite in street driving with less dust at the same time. I think the pads are too small to give me that - it's a compromize - the brakes a lighter but need higher-friction pads for adequate stopping. Then on the track having to shed speed from 130mph down to 60 before a turn makes me feel uneasy with these pads and I have intermediate track skills so I decided it was time to try the pagids.
Yeah stock pads are not meant for the track and from what I've read it's just not a good idea to take them to the track, the car's manual even warns of that. But from my own experience they take more abuse without fading than most street pads, they're good for fast mountain road driving ect. I've never been able to fade them and I've gotten the rotors hot enough that you could hear that hot metal 'creaking' noise from them when parked - if you've tracked your car you probably know what I mean.

From some digging online, Endless ME20 or ME22 sound like track pads that would still be reasonable to use on the street - ie noise and dust is there but not terrible. Maybe I'll give these a go in future.
Anyone tried them on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Not a track pad but an autocross pad that has me readjusting my brake pedal pressure is the hawk hp+. This is the new compound and on first press of the brakes on the first stop of the day think oem initial bite. After that it is like an anchor was dropped. Light intermittent squeaking but that doesn't bother me. Worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
I am looking to get rs29 pads and I wonder how they compare to stock pads for street driving. I know they will be noisier, but I have not seen any comments on the following:
- will the stopping distance be noticeably longer for street driving due to lower temps?
- are they noticeably dustier for street driving?
- do they wear faster than stock pads?
- do they wear the rotors faster than stock pads?

I need them for occasional track days and I will buy them for sure, but I just wonder whether I should leave them on if I can put up with the noise.
I always leave my PFC11 pads on.

Haven't noticed any difference in stopping distances for speeds on the street.
Dusting is more.
Doesn't squeal for a few days right after a track day, but then it starts to squeal like a train bogey. I don't look anyone in the eye after I brake (look straight ahead as if nothing happened).
Can't comment coz I burn though them (fronts) in 3-5 track days. I don't have them on for long enough to even make a comparison.
Can't comment coz I'll need new rotors due to the track days. Don't think I'll ever need new rotors from normal street driving.
      05-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I've used RSL29 and PF08 for the DD. I've become too lazy to swap between street and track pads during the track season and decided to simply keep the track pads on. The drawback is a bit more noise: the slap in forward and reverse transition as well as the squeal when the transfer layer wears off. They do make more dust and will wear the rotors a bit faster when not up to temp. I haven't seen any significant performance drawback. They do need more pressure to work when cold, but nothing a firmer press on the pedal wont fix.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up installing the RS29 pads and doing street driving with them for a couple weeks ahead of my track event this weekend. The verdict is, nope, not suitable for street driving - the squeal is horrific at times. Got into some stop-and-go traffic on Cape Cod with the wife and I'd rather commit suicide than do it again with these pads.
After my event this weekend, I'll try putting back only the front OEM pads and keeping the rear Pagids. If that works out noise-wise, it will save me time for swapping pads for the next event and the hard stopping may be improved on the street vs. completely stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

I run Ferodo ds1.11 for track days and i keep them in the street, quiet 95% of the time on my m2 competition

The rest of 5% is brake noise but it's nothing for brake pads of this performance

I'm sold on these... they are amazing on the track and quiet in the street, very grabby, but i like that
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
I run Ferodo ds1.11 for track days and i keep them in the street, quiet 95% of the time on my m2 competition

The rest of 5% is brake noise but it's nothing for brake pads of this performance

I'm sold on these... they are amazing on the track and quiet in the street, very grabby, but i like that
Another option that's not a true track pad but ok for light track duty and street use is the Ferodo DS2500. I've used them on multiple cars and have no squeaks during daily driving, no fade at the track (though I'm not anywhere close to pushing the limits of the car), and they last a long time. I also tend to add cool down laps in the middle of track sessions mostly in an attempt to let my tires not get too greasy on really hot days.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #14
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Don't run a track on the stock caliper on the street. There's so much slop since the pads are only held in by two cheap pins and a metal plate spring. It will squeal so bad and you'll get a ton of attention. Plus the brake dust is crazy.

Run a sport pad (stoptech) and swap when going to the track.

Other option is to buy a BBK. (Front only).
Appreciate 0