GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SO Comp Pack F80 M3

Almost 3 years after getting my M3, I'm switching to an E53

Hi all,

A little history. I've had a f30 330D, and then got an F80 comp pack in the summer of 16.

I'm from England, on British roads. 40% of the year things can be cold and damp. 58% dry with some hot days, and we maybe get 2-3 days of snow in the year.

I'm 30 years old, commute, and put around 11k miles on the car per year.

My 3 year thoughts on the car:
- I do love this car, the engine and chassis balance. You can control this car so well with your right foot. When you really get up it and drive it at 9-10/10s it is amazing
- I really like the drama of the DCT and love the way the transmission works. Gives a lot of character to the car
- Looks really nice in my eyes, but a tad common where I live
- generally like BMW cockpit design. The interior is very intuitive and simple, everything is where it should be and focused around the driver

Negatives:
- The seats. They look cool, but for me have poor lumbar support and I feel like it makes me slouch. The leather is better quality than the 330d rhino Hyde, but no where close to some more luxurious competition (queue Merc).
- Tyre roar is real. Have MP4Ss on the 20s.
- Steering is direct, moderate feedback but I think artificially too heavy.
- it's certainly quite a jarring ride if the roads are beat up

Generally I really love this car and will be sad to see it go.

So what am I moving to. Yes, I've sold out. I'm an old man. I'm getting an E53. I feel for 90% of driving I'm willing to sacrifice that scalepl edge for the much refined cabin, luxury feeling and more relaxing experience. I was surprised how well it handled and actually quite liked the variable steering rack and steering feel. Power train isn't quite as savage as the M3. But the level of luxury is 10x the M3.

I pick it up next weekend, will let you guys know my initial first thoughts after a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

Curious to hear your thoughts because I was considering that direction but ended up in the M3. Sometimes you just need to change things up. You never know until you try and life is too short. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I was with you until you referred to being 30 as being an ‘old man’

Just kidding. Congrats on the car. M3’s are not really the ‘scalpel edge’ of performance cars anymore, so you’re not giving up as much as you’d have used to.

Did you get the coupe? That’s a gorgeous car
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

Just kidding. Congrats on the car. M3’s are not really the ‘scalpel edge’ of performance cars anymore, so you’re not giving up as much as you’d have used to.

Exactly, 30 is young by every measure. Enjoy your new car though!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:44 AM   #5
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Hi, yes the coupe. I really like the look of it, such a well proportioned design, good from every angle. I like how it has no B pillar as well. Got a good deal on a car the dealer had in stock. It's obsidian black, looks like this:

http://www.mercedes-benz-countryhill...1j6bbxkf086328

I was only joking about the old man comment, just most people who drive E classes are older men, particularly old Indian men around here.

It might be partly because the car is better insulated and less wind/road noise, but the burmeister sound system sounded so good. Way better than the HK.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #6
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

I just got the e53 with frozen grey paint! Very nice interior and the amg exhaust, I wish I pulled the trigger on e63 instead. The e53 feels a lot slower compare to my e85 m3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #7
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex8 View Post
I just got the e53 with frozen grey paint! Very nice interior and the amg exhaust, I wish I pulled the trigger on e63 instead. The e53 feels a lot slower compare to my e85 m3
Unfortunately you can't spec the AMG exhaust in the UK, but may get something fitted aftermarket if I feel I need to.

E63s are just too expensive for me, I generally prefer buying new than 2nd hand.

Would be interested to hear your general thoughts of the change and whether you're happy? I know it definitely doesn't have that ripping torque you get when you're in 2nd or 3rd in the M3, but does seem to jump off the line quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately you can't spec the AMG exhaust in the UK, but may get something fitted aftermarket if I feel I need to.

E63s are just too expensive for me, I generally prefer buying new than 2nd hand.

Would be interested to hear your general thoughts of the change and whether you're happy? I know it definitely doesn't have that ripping torque you get when you're in 2nd or 3rd in the M3, but does seem to jump off the line quickly.
It's definitely comfy ride and a lot space. Love the new interior lights, feel like I am sitting in a night club haha. It's a nice car for long trip and grocery shopping! I still have my m3 as weekend fun car, I got a Tesla s p100d too for dd, but I'll still pick the e53 over the Tesla because the interior, ride quality and look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:51 AM   #9
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely comfy ride and a lot space. Love the new interior lights, feel like I am sitting in a night club haha. It's a nice car for long trip and grocery shopping! I still have my m3 as weekend fun car, I got a Tesla s p100d too for dd, but I'll still pick the e53 over the Tesla because the interior, ride quality and look
Looks good mate, are they the 20 inch rims? Hard to see. Still comfy with the 20s?

You're making it sound really boring to drive! Can't be that bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

While it's true that E53 owners will always face the "not a true AMG" comments and perhaps some will regret not getting a E63, you don't have an option if you want a coupe. And the coupe is the one to get, IMO.

My wife wanted one during her car shopping a year ago. She loved the E400 but it didn't have enough power for us. Disappointed that there would be no E63, and she didn't want to wait for the E53. If the latter was available we might have gone for it
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
While it's true that E53 owners will always face the "not a true AMG" comments and perhaps some will regret not getting a E63, you don't have an option if you want a coupe. And the coupe is the one to get, IMO.

My wife wanted one during her car shopping a year ago. She loved the E400 but it didn't have enough power for us. Disappointed that there would be no E63, and she didn't want to wait for the E53. If the latter was available we might have gone for it
For me it's almost like a bargain S500, a tad smaller and sportier and imo looks better. The luxury levels seem almost the same as the S class, which is a bit too big for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
You're making it sound really boring to drive! Can't be that bad?
I mean, that boring feel is always the possibility with “dual purpose” cars, especially Merc which have a slant towards luxury.

And there’s no big V8 sound either or ability to bench flash to 700hp.

But that’s what you wanted right? Lighter steering, more comfy seats, more features.

Good luck with the car and congrats.

My $0.02, take the e53 off and don’t listen to anyone (like me) trying to insinuate it’s not a real AMG. It’s a nice car that you got to meet your needs.

Edit: I sold out too and drive an EV for my commuter. My Porsche lives on a trickle charger because hydraulic steering and huge noise and 15mpg combined are a bit tough to live with slugging through traffic. I understand your situation well!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

The M3 is perfect blend of sport and luxury for me. But some like a little more sport (and move on to caymans or 911s), and others want some more luxury and move towards Mercedes or a 5 series.

can't deny how easy, effortless, and relaxing it is to commute in an E class

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
The M3 is perfect blend of sport and luxury for me. But some like a little more sport (and move on to caymans or 911s), and others want some more luxury and move towards Mercedes or a 5 series.

can't deny how easy, effortless, and relaxing it is to commute in an E class
I think the 53 should be somewhat fun anyway. It's relatively tied down and controlled for a bigger for luxury orientated car. When I test drove it, it stays pretty flat, changes direction fairly easily and is quite composerd. I think with the air suspension and longer wheel base it seems to cope with rougher roads better than the M3 and gets less unsettled there.

Comparatively, I test drove a 540i a while back and that thing was terrible and felt like a boat. No steering feel, very soft car, hated how it drove.

I think you will probably not get quite as much back when you lean on the limits of grip though with this car compared to the M3, and of course you won't have that great throttle adjustability the M3 has.

But I think you're right, right now I think I favour comfort and luxury more than the sporty driving experience. When you've done a hard days work, or are just tired, it will definitely be more refreshing getting in the E than the M.

Driving it today though I do have a little sadness. I do love the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I guess I don't really see the point of an E53. Either you want the performance (E63) or you don't (whatever the next E model is down - E400?). Especially if you throw resale values in there. I don't think many people will even look at E53s used. What's the point?

That said, I am considering an E63 soon. So tell me why I'm wrong....
      04-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I guess I don't really see the point of an E53. Either you want the performance (E63) or you don't (whatever the next E model is down - E400?). Especially if you throw resale values in there. I don't think many people will even look at E53s used. What's the point?

Well it seems incrementally better in lots of departments, for not a huge premium.

That's like saying why get an M140i when you either get a 120d or an M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock
That’s exactly right, especially in the US where you can option a 240 to exceed the cost of an m2
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #18
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Well it seems incrementally better in lots of departments, for not a huge premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
That’s exactly right, especially in the US where you can option a 240 to exceed the cost of an m2
That's exactly it.
      04-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Yeah, by the time you option a 450 with the things that come standard in the 53 (upgraded infotainment screens, better leather seats etc) you are paying £5k for a car with significantly more power and significantly better handling.

Like I said earlier, if you compare it with an S550 that's costs over £40k more, then you see the bargain/niche this car has.

I would like an E63s coupe, but can't justify the costs of that.. if they made one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #20
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly it.
The cost of an E63s and E53 are massively different though.. I am probably spending around £10k/annum to have this car on finance, an E63s is getting close to double that. Just too much money for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, by the time you option a 450 with the things that come standard in the 53 (upgraded infotainment screens, better leather seats etc) you are paying £5k for a car with significantly more power and significantly better handling.

Like I said earlier, if you compare it with an S550 that's costs over £40k more, then you see the bargain/niche this car has.

I would like an E63s coupe, but can't justify the costs of that.. if they made one.
If you were going to option up an e450 anyway, agree that 5k more for e53 Is interesting.

The c63/63s vs e53 coupe pricing is what I would personally review closely (or even glc63)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:

BMW sells the M550i when there is a 540i or an M5. M340i with the M3 coming soon. Audi with the S4/RS4, S6/RS6, etc.

yet here we are.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0