Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #67
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
I’m so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Sounds like there is no “safe” tune to keep a warranty intact. It’s hard to tell if CarBahn would be any better.
I’ve had some reservations about Dinan ever since they were acquired by Driven Performance Brands who also owns APR. APR has been in some financial problems in the past. Dinan moved to APR facilities in Alabama. CarBahn seems to be a separate entity, actually owned and run by Steve Dinan.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3478.50
      05-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #68
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

lol dinan is a brand. god knows who underwrites their warranty. seriously people read your service contracts and warranties; and learn the process of getting shit repaired is almost so mind boggling you;d rather just self ensure. i paid for an obd tune. if I fuck my car...3-4k repair bill...whatever. you pay to play. so easy to deny warranty coverage...

edit; I dont fuck my car

im tired of dealers giving me my lot is full BS..sell some more cars. alas, the dealership model is getting even stinger by the day. Fuckin bmw ad I got Spring tune-up. was 200 bucks for a wash,cabin filter, and tire rotation.....the fuck lol. gotta have bays for that because its robbery.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #69
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

A blown engine is not a 3-4k repair bill, which is why some people like Dinan.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #70
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
A blown engine is not a 3-4k repair bill, which is why some people like Dinan.
Define a blown engine? like a rod coming out the block ??.. and they would probable blame that on you somehow. Im sure the warranty contract doesn;t read " now but this tune on and all engine failures are covered. "

Anywayz; I get what your saying; but thats how they sell you on these warranties...a new engine is 30k!!!! like you can drop a used one in for like 10k all said and done. on top of that you can probably salvage your own engine.

whatever different stokes for different folk. good luck op. Im sure you'll get it resolved.'
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #71
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
lol dinan is a brand. god knows who underwrites their warranty. seriously people read your service contracts and warranties; and learn the process of getting shit repaired is almost so mind boggling you;d rather just self ensure. i paid for an obd tune. if I fuck my car...3-4k repair bill...whatever. you pay to play. so easy to deny warranty coverage...

edit; I dont fuck my car

im tired of dealers giving me my lot is full BS..sell some more cars. alas, the dealership model is getting even stinger by the day. Fuckin bmw ad I got Spring tune-up. was 200 bucks for a wash,cabin filter, and tire rotation.....the fuck lol. gotta have bays for that because its robbery.
You made me

Please don't fuck your car. Haha
Appreciate 3
ra2289302.00
Ibiza3478.50
      05-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #72
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post

edit; I dont fuck my car

You made me

Please don't fuck your car. Haha
...or do. Don't let anyone tell you how to live your life, lol.
      05-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #73
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
...or do. Don't let anyone tell you how to live your life, lol.
walks outside and grins at car....BMW assist calls the authorities...its a scary world out their folks
Appreciate 3
icegrill2078.00
ra2289302.00
      05-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #74
BimmerKay
Experienced Newbie
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: M3x

@OP praying for you here in NJ, The irony is I just flashed a bm3 tune on my CS and like many others have said you "pay to play". That being said, I have never had any problems on flash tunes (bm3) but have heard of problems on dinan tunes, it is what it is. I just hope OP doesn't get completely fucked by a company who advertises as being one of the only tunes with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #75
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Hopefully it works out but I'm worried for you mate.

Let's hope dinan comes through and surprises us all !
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #76
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Alright... rumors starting in 3...2...1... The Dinan tune failed and BM3 is the way to go 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #77
braunthalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunthalf View Post
I would think the reasoning in this would be cost. DINAN dealer shops mechanics would charge much less then BMW's in-house dealer mechanics would most likely.
Is your BMW dealer a Dinan dealer as well? If it is then I don't see why the car wouldn't be fixed there. Otherwise I can see them wanting to do the work through a Dinan dealer they know for various reasons, one being cost.
They were a DINAN dealer but no longer are as of last week...
      05-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #78
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
That is really weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #79
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
That is really weird.
Yeah I agree considering I called the day before even bringing it in, they said they were an authorized DINAN BMW dealer and that my service advisor specialized in DINAN BMW's.
      05-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #80
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Sterling BMW dropped Dinan last year as well. From what I hear Dinan refused to cover an M5 engine as did BMW and some sort of mess ensued.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #81
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Yeah I agree considering I called the day before even bringing it in, they said they were an authorized DINAN BMW dealer and that my service advisor specialized in DINAN BMW's.
I wonder if your dealers breakup is a result of your car because of the below post? Hopefully not.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
Sterling BMW dropped Dinan last year as well. From what I hear Dinan refused to cover an M5 engine as did BMW and some sort of mess ensued.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #82
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
More and more dealers are dropping DINAN like if it was herpes simplex 10!

Nothing against them, as I have no beef in this game, but considering their drop of reputation over the past decade and a half, and seeing Steve Dinan leave, and numerous dealers dropping them as well, it sure as hell was a bad sign.

Then you read threads like this, and I'm just wondering how on earth would ANYONE in their right mind ever consider paying for Dinan mods

I know the vast majority of the BMW crowd here in south florida, which we get together all the time for meets etc, pretty much NOT ONE person is currently on the Dinan platform in the f8X side.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #83
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

Then you read threads like this, and I'm just wondering how on earth would ANYONE in their right mind ever consider paying for Dinan mods

I know the vast majority of the BMW crowd here in south florida, which we get together all the time for meets etc, pretty much NOT ONE person is currently on the Dinan platform in the f8X side.
Obviously not everyone who buys an M is on this forum and I imagine dealers will sell people on Dinan and their claimed warranty. My local sells Dinan but I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3478.50
      05-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #84
braunthalf
Private
Rep

New update:

Today i received a personal call from Dinan to apologize for the delay and insure that i have not been forgotten or being ignored. Due to the the long weekend of memorial day people were just not in the office to respond to BMW. He assured me that i will have a response on the motor being covered by latest thursday if not tomorrow. The claim needs to be approved by the final supervisor, but he does not see any reason the claim would be denied but could not give me a yes or no due to the decision not being in his hand . He was very possessive about the claim and also apologetic that i have been out of my car so long.

Dinan is and has been responding in a timely manner which i truly appreciate. Hopefully i will be posting in the next few days that my car is being fixed and Dinan's warranty is second to none.

Again i thank everyone for your comments and advice and i will keep contact with
ra2289302.00
pz6193274.00
ntg442887.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
minn1913970.00
      05-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #85
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
New update:

Today i received a personal call from Dinan to apologize for the delay and insure that i have not been forgotten or being ignored. Due to the the long weekend of memorial day people were just not in the office to respond to BMW. He assured me that i will have a response on the motor being covered by latest thursday if not tomorrow. The claim needs to be approved by the final supervisor, but he does not see any reason the claim would be denied but could not give me a yes or no due to the decision not being in his hand . He was very possessive about the claim and also apologetic that i have been out of my car so long.

Dinan is and has been responding in a timely manner which i truly appreciate. Hopefully i will be posting in the next few days that my car is being fixed and Dinan's warranty is second to none.

Again i thank everyone for your comments and advice and i will keep contact with
That's great however, why would the claim be denied? Unless you were mistreating the car (which I'm sure you were not), why wouldn't it be fully covered either by dinan or bmw? It would have been much more comforting if he told you to rest assured that your car will 100% be covered as clearly you are just the innocent consumer here who has paid for a warranty from both bmw and dinan and that any finger pointing between the two companies should not adversely affect you. But perhaps I am naive in thinking someone may actually do the right thing.
Appreciate 6
      05-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #86
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
That's great however, why would the claim be denied? Unless you were mistreating the car (which I'm sure you were not), why wouldn't it be fully covered either by dinan or bmw? It would have been much more comforting if he told you to rest assured that your car will 100% be covered as clearly you are just the innocent consumer here who has paid for a warranty from both bmw and dinan and that any finger pointing between the two companies should not adversely affect you. But perhaps I am naive in thinking someone may actually do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #87
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

The slagging DINAN is taking in this thread is sort of off putting. First of all, they haven't even made the decision on what to do yet and this has been over a long holiday weekend. I'm hoping that if/when everything works out in OPs favor and the motor is warrantied, folks here will at least give DINAN credit and maybe walk back some of the remarks. If DINAN does in fact warranty the repairs, then regardless of how impressive you think the tune is compared to other companies it's pretty mega that you have the umbrella protection with the warranty.

What I'm curious to know however is if DINAN does in fact warranty the motor, what exactly is going to come of the tune they put on OPs car? If the tune itself was found to have caused the damage, I have to imagine they'll either need to update their software or OP will have to go back to stock? Finding fault in the tune would certainly preclude it from being installed on the new motor I would have to imagine.

As always, good luck OP.

Last edited by NickyC; 05-28-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      05-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #88
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
The slagging DINAN is taking in this thread is sort of off putting. First of all, they haven't even made the decision on what to do yet and this has been over a long holiday weekend. I'm hoping that if/when everything works out in OPs favor and the motor is warrantied, folks here will at least give DINAN credit and maybe walk back some of the remarks. If DINAN does in fact warranty the repairs, then regardless of how impressive you think the tune is compared to other companies it's pretty mega that you have the umbrella protection with the warranty.

What I'm curious to know however is if DINAN does in fact warranty the motor, what exactly is going to come of the tune they put on OPs car? If the tune itself was found to have caused the damage, I have to imagine they'll either need to update their software or OP will have to go back to stock? Finding fault in the tune would certainly preclude it from being installed on the new motor I would have to imagine.

As always, good luck OP.
The real problem is more in line with what others in this thread have said. It shouldn't be a question about whether DINAN will cover it if nothing besides BMW and DINAN components are on the vehicle. This is the type of situation that leads to the "BMW won't cover it because tuned and DINAN won't cover it because they insist it's a BMW fault" fear that many people have.

Let's take an example. Spun crank hubs are known problems on these cars, even while stock. Let's say a DINAN car spins the crank hub. BMW could legitimately say "wait you're tuned!" and deny coverage. DINAN could legitimately respond with "But this is a problem on stock cars, so it's not our fault!". In that situation, the customer could be stuck without coverage.

I'd hope that my example wouldn't play out that way and that the "maybe it'll be covered" tone they're taking in this situation is just to make sure that there has never been another tune on the car and/or there aren't DINAN approved components installed. In the past I've had a DINAN Stage 3 335i and a DINAN Stage 1 M5, and I was seriously considering DINAN Stage 3 + CAI + Heat Exchanger for this car. This thread will go a long way toward helping me make up my mind in that regard. As a result, I (and others in my situation) really owe @braunthalf much appreciation for keeping us in the loop on what's going on.
Well said. Summarises the issue perfectly.
Appreciate 0