Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

M3 F80 Arma Speed Intake Review

I have recently installed the Arma Speed intake and wanted to give you my thought on the system and install.

After adding DPs from Akra and Rear from Eisenmann, I was keen to change the intake system in order to “enhance “ the sound experience and hear the turbo spools.
In addition to this I was also eager to give bit of “bling” to the busy engine bay by adding new carbon fibre parts & increase performances.

After looking around and checking few system, I was set on the Intake system from the guys at Arma Speed.
Before the purchase I sent couple of queries to Arma Speed who were very responsive and answered most of my questions in no time.
My main concerns were around fitment/error codes but the Arma team confirmed that the system had a direct bolt on feature and no error code would be detected after the install.
The delivery was also fast and the item was delivered just a week after the purchase (I’m based in Spain)

Each of the pieces were wrapped individually and well protected. I took the time to check each of the pieces one by one, looking for damages, scratches but all of them were faultless!
The finish on each of the parts was also outstanding and the carbon weave was flawless … I can tell since I had bad experience in the past with another company selling carbon parts

In the box came also the installation manual in colour and a USB stick. Nice touch!

The install was performed by my local shop and it was executed in 1:30 hour
They confirmed that all parts were a perfect fit and no manual adjustment were needed… so far so good

Now the sound. When I initially started the engine I could not really hear a major difference which was expected
However, after revving the car I could hear the whoosh from the turbos building up and dropping as soon as I let off the throttle. Exactly what I expected and wanted to hear

When driving with windows closed you can hear the system working is magic but the sound in the cabin is not intrusive at all…
If you however open slightly the windows, you can hear very well the intake sucking the air followed by the whoosh as soon as you left off the throttle.
I have also tried with the valves open/closed as I have a EVC module and I tend to like it the sound more of the intake with the valves closed.
I only had the system for a week now and done 300 miles but so far so good, no issues whatsoever.

When it comes to performances, it’s difficult to comment at this early stage and will probably notice this more when I push the car lon the circuit (May)
However, I have noticed an improvement with the torque and the car appears to be pulling stronger

I am for now sharing a couple of pics of the install and I’m also in the process of putting videos together.. so I will be updating regularly this thread
From the last pic you can also notice air scoops behind the kidneys grill which makes the look a bit more agressive ( well at least to me )

All in all, I am very happy with the package … the engine bay looks now the part with all the carbon pieces, the sound of the intake is glorious and the extra performances are just welcome
So yeah, I definitely recommend the Arma Speed intake for all the above reason to my fellow F8X drivers

I am also posting regularly on my Instagram, feel free to follow: JEZ_ZZA
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
domino_z1239.50
NOLATom104.00
      04-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
I know this post is supposed to be an intake review but what colour is your car? It's so niiiiiiice! Santorini Blue? Also, love what you did with the front splitters. Body colour up front but showing cf on the sides Any close up of that?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
I know this post is supposed to be an intake review but what colour is your car? It's so niiiiiiice! Santorini Blue? Also, love what you did with the front splitters. Body colour up front but showing cf on the sides Any close up of that?
I don't think those are mp cf splitters. Looks like a lightweight lip, you can see the multiple pegs. You can see black around the inside of central air take. My guess is the blue is a wrap and he left black exposed. Or vice versa i suppose. Unique look and +1 for nice colour
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome review, beautiful intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks !
The car is wrapped in a HEXIS wrap and the color is Voodoo blue.. that's a Porsche color
you can see more pics of the car on this thread
The exterior of the front splitter have been wrapped in black gloss .. more pics on the car when it was wrapped in grey here

hope this help
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Machiavelli View Post
I don't think those are mp cf splitters. Looks like a lightweight lip, you can see the multiple pegs. You can see black around the inside of central air take. My guess is the blue is a wrap and he left black exposed. Or vice versa i suppose. Unique look and +1 for nice colour
All correct ! Lightweight lip, blue wrap + exterior of the front splitters wrapped in gloss black
Thank you for the feedback

Last edited by Jez_zza; 04-07-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Awesome review, beautiful intake
thank you .. much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

bought this intake, already in the box, will install at next monday and add my review
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Looks like solid construction and good fit. Not sure how I feel about the logo plate. Would really love to see a brand produce an intake that doesn't have prominent branding across the top. Just prefer something a little more subtle.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Agent - ///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Comp; Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_zza View Post
Quote:
Thanks !
The car is wrapped in a HEXIS wrap and the color is Voodoo blue.. that's a Porsche color
you can see more pics of the car on this thread
The exterior of the front splitter have been wrapped in black gloss .. more pics on the car when it was wrapped in grey here

hope this help
Maybe you should throw a post in my wrap thread
      05-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Sound is very nice! But it's not so easy to install, instructions what comes with intake is not so good

I installed:

forge pipes
CSF cooler
Arma Intake
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Thank you for the detailed review and pictures! The before/after shots of the engine bay really showed what a visual difference the carbon fiber adds underneath the hood
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Freak1c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP MW

Question for owners, do you need to remove the strut brace to get access to filters?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It looks great

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0