Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: S6 or M3?
2016 S6 (With RS bumper) 7 14.00%
2015 M3 45 90.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

05-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328iF30

2016 M3 vs 2016 S6

Looking at getting into one of the two, what are the pros and cons of both? I plan to keep both stock engine wise, only aesthetic mods. As for the S6 I'm looking to fit the RS front to make it look like this. I feel like the M everyone around my neighborhood has one, so I wanna mix it up. Also, which one of the two is the better choice if I choose not to get warranty? Which one has better warranty options if I choose to get one?

Any other info that you feel is useful in making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Few Questions I Also Have:
1. Reliability: Which one is the more reliable? What are the major parts I should expect to fix for both and what are the prices of the parts required to get it done? Which one requires more frequent maintenance?
2. Standard Options: Which one has more standard options that the other makes you pay for?
3. Which one has better reliability past 100k miles?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

S6 advantage is AWD and is more luxurious. A very good looking car. F80 is raw in comparison. More of a drivers car. The LSD and carbon driveshaft make it fun imho.
Appreciate 1
MWMM386.00
      05-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I almost purchased an S6 about 3-4 months ago because 2018 models were being sold for 26% off MSRP after they sat for months due to an airbag/seat recall issue. Brand new models - 21k off. It was unbelievable. If I had been able to get red with the sport packageI would've gone for it - but I missed some great stock.

Anywho, they are extremely different cars. My m3 weighs 3,450 pounds. A comparable S6 weighs nearly 1,000 pounds more.

I love my m3 -owned it nearly 5 years. 2nd longest vehicle I've ever owned. Getting the bug to move on but just bought a brand new Jeep which should hold me over a bit longer

Let me speak about the S6 and why I nearly bought one:

1. It is far, far more luxurious in every way. Comfort, noise, ride quality, haptics. The m3 has better electronics IMHO.

2. It is one of the best sounding stock vehicles on earth - the perfect blend of luxury and sound. In dynamic mode it's v8 burbles and bubbles like nothing else. It's DCT is also out of this world good and matches the exhaust perfectly.

3. The DCT is one of the best executed versions around combined with the TT v8.

4. Some luxury cars, which the S6 is, are deceptively fast. But the S6 isn't deceptive - you feel the speed. I like that.

5. The shape and interior are, IMHO, going to age extremely well. Wonderful execution by Audi. I also think the m3 is going to age very well - even better than the coupe - with the delightful fender flares.

I'm not going to vote on this because they aren't truly direct competitors. Hope this helps.
      05-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Two different cars serving two distinct market segments.

The S6 should be cross shopped with the M550i-xDrive.

The Audi RS5 4-door is the closest Audi competitor to the M3.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
jmg18663.00
      05-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Also don't get the comparison. If you are shopping M3, you've grown tired of a raw sports car. If you're shopping S6 you've grown tired of driving a 4.5k pound boat.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4

Last edited by Maitre_Absolut; 05-23-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Depends what you want really. They're not all that similar.

I see your location is California. I'd break it down strictly to what type of roads you have by you. My cousin lives in Palo Alto-ish area in Northern California, and with all the hills around there, it would be the M3 no contest.

I live in Chicago suburbs, which is basically a giant grid. I've had my eye on a S6 for a long time, but traded my S4 on the M3 2 years ago because I wanted a manual transmission. However, as I get older, my priorities are starting to shift, and the S6 is becoming more compelling to me for my purpose of just enjoying a drive, getting someplace fast, and in utmost comfort. In my opinion, NOTHING beats an Audi as a highway cruiser - it's the least fatiguing car one can drive aside from a self driving Tesla or something. My R8 is currently in service and they loaned me a brand new A6 with the 3.0 turbo engine. I forgot how comfortable and effortless Audi sedans are to drive. Quick as hell off the line too.

Anyway, that's my opinion. If you don't have many sweepers or turns around you, get the Audi. When you get bored of it, at least you'll be comfortable as can be.
Appreciate 1
MWMM386.00
      05-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I almost purchased an S6 about 3-4 months ago because 2018 models were being sold for 26% off MSRP after they sat for months due to an airbag/seat recall issue. Brand new models - 21k off. It was unbelievable. If I had been able to get red with the sport packageI would've gone for it - but I missed some great stock.

Anywho, they are extremely different cars. My m3 weighs 3,450 pounds. A comparable S6 weighs nearly 1,000 pounds more.

I love my m3 -owned it nearly 5 years. 2nd longest vehicle I've ever owned. Getting the bug to move on but just bought a brand new Jeep which should hold me over a bit longer

Let me speak about the S6 and why I nearly bought one:

1. It is far, far more luxurious in every way. Comfort, noise, ride quality, haptics. The m3 has better electronics IMHO.

2. It is one of the best sounding stock vehicles on earth - the perfect blend of luxury and sound. In dynamic mode it's v8 burbles and bubbles like nothing else. It's DCT is also out of this world good and matches the exhaust perfectly.

3. The DCT is one of the best executed versions around combined with the TT v8.

4. Some luxury cars, which the S6 is, are deceptively fast. But the S6 isn't deceptive - you feel the speed. I like that.

5. The shape and interior are, IMHO, going to age extremely well. Wonderful execution by Audi. I also think the m3 is going to age very well - even better than the coupe - with the delightful fender flares.

I'm not going to vote on this because they aren't truly direct competitors. Hope this helps.
Appreciate the insight! Nice to hear from someone cross shopping the two and not just choosing one and describing the other
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Two different cars serving two distinct market segments.

The S6 should be cross shopped with the M550i-xDrive.

The Audi RS5 4-door is the closest Audi competitor to the M3.
Well, yeah obviously you would match the M to the RS6 but the US doesn't offer that, and the price range for both the S6 and M3 are relatively the same, so I am just trying to find insight on what I can afford and what is available for me, what I myself would choose between, feel?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMM3 View Post
Well, yeah obviously you would match the M to the RS6 but the US doesn't offer that, and the price range for both the S6 and M3 are relatively the same, so I am just trying to find insight on what I can afford and what is available for me, what I myself would choose between, feel?
RS5, not RS6...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #10
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMM3 View Post
Like CanAut said, US don't get the RS6 Avant, least not yet anyway. Apparently Audi is bringing both of the A6 and RS6 Avant over soon.

RS5 Coupe and Sportback is the closest to the M3 and the M4 but these two cars are completely different in idea and whom the car is targeting. No one here can tell you what you should get, that is completely up to you and which type of car you would prefer driving. Do you like comfort, more of a GT feel car? Then the RS5 Coupe/Sportback. If you prefer straight performance and the feel to go along with it, M3 or M4.
      07-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #11
gmuthu
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I recently traded in my '13 S6 for a '16 M4 so it's not exactly the comparison you're looking for but figure another data point doesn't hurt (if still considering or someone else in the future!)

A little about the S6:

Loaded with quite a bit more technology - adaptive cruise control, night vision, lane assist, etc.

Twin turbo V8 AWD equipped with a Roc Euro intake and AWE exhaust - sounded amazing!

A little about the M4:

Sakhir Orange, 6mt, carbon roof, carbon cloth seats, non ZCP.

Equipped with Remus axle back, AA mid, apex EC-7 wheels (295 rear)

S6 pros
- engine sound
- highway rocket yet very enjoyable/comfortable to drive
- awd + launch control was a blast
- year round vehicle for Michigan.. best car I've driven in the snow (dedicated snow wheels on blizzaks)
- technology and luxury were very nice and apparent

S6 Cons
- Reliability! At 51k miles, both turbos failed and left me stranded on the freeway. Audi initially refused to pay and quoted 10k for the fix even though it was a common issue with the year. Turbos were being starved of oil via a leak - an issue that was fixed under recall earlier but the damage was already done. Shelled out a nice chunk of change for labor once Audi finally agreed to covered parts. I have a picture of the day I took my Audi into the dealer - 3 S6s sitting in the service garage that day alone! I fought a long battle on this one.
- The car is fairly heavy so cornering is not thrilling
- Audi MMI was not very intuitive and inconvenient
- Bose audio was really sub par so I would look for the upgraded Bang and Olufsen if possible

Overall, I enjoyed the Audi and thought it was a great, powerful 4dr sedan. It was not quite a head turner and more "sleeper" which I liked for my everyday car.

After acquiring a truck, I stopped driving my Audi as much and realized I wanted something more to actually drive and feel the road - hence the M4. The various heavy German freeway rockets on the road are fun and all but I grew tired of it.

M4 pros
- 6mt!
- much more thrilling to drive.. cornering, shifting, accelerating...
- I actually enjoy having less technology.. night vision on the S6 wasnt something I used too much but something that could go wrong! A wheel alignment on the car was $750+ because of all the cameras/sensors/etc.
- Audio is much better
- Beautiful car! I've received more compliments on my M4 in a month than I did in the years with the S6

M4 cons
- engine/sound is raspier compared to the TTV8
- taking off from first has been difficult for me as I learn the cars capabilities.. power's cut as soon as the tires slip. So I haven't felt all that similar power to the S6 yet in a substantially lighter car.

2 different cars that I suspect are not cross shopped often but there's my take. My trust in Audi was broken. Before my S6 I had an '11 335i and received great support from BMW when I had issues... so I'm happy to be back in the BMW family.

I hope that's informative!
Appreciate 1
smiff57.50
      07-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #12
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

I had an A6 and and then a S5 prior to my M3 but I had driven S6 too for a couple hundred miles (had a loaner for long weekend Yosemite trip).

I am not sure which one would be more reliable past 100K, Audi maintenance can become pricey when it runs out of warranty, breaks about $1500-$2000 is the common expense. very small things would usually cost about $300-$500 if you want OEM replacement... major repairs a few grand at least if you want factory parts and quality....I bet M3 is about the same.

The Audi interior, equipment and quality tops bimmer for the same price, S6 has really nice seats, most of the car is leather or Alcantara, has cooled seats and rear has its own climate plus a LOT more room if you have a family. My Audi;s had adaptive cruise control something I really miss in my M3. Audi is a rocket ship it will reach triple digits speeds quickly and easily and drives at those speeds very calmly with no drama. It's an autobahn cruiser which is kind of difficult to enjoy on US roads with 65mph limit. The sound is quite good too for both S5 and S6 a bit muted for my taste. The 7 spd DCT in the Audi was great... shifts really quick but not as "mechanical" as the M3.

The Audi S series, is not a special car. It won't turn heads, and when you park it you will not turn back to look at it. it's just a nice car. It doesn't have the looks and "wow" factor of the M3 if that matters to you at all. Once you park it you don't think about it until next time you turn on the engine....

Also the Audi is not such a hardcore driver's machine, it doesn't have the sound, surge pf power or the light go cart feel and control of the M3. toss it in a tight corner and it will not drive like an M3. The rear doesn't dance and the nose feels a bit heavy, it's a bit frightening to corner fast in the Audi's compared to the M3 . overall it's a different car,

I would say this: You shouldn't be cross shopping these two, if you don't love an M3, the S6 is probably the right car for you. If you like the driving characteristics of the M3, you will love the M3, live with the shortcomings and won't be happy with anything else unless you move up to a 911 or better...

hope this helps

Last edited by speedmaster20d; 07-22-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
I had an A6 and and then a S5 prior to my M3 but I had driven S6 too for a couple hundred miles (had a loaner for long weekend Yosemite trip).

I am not sure which one would be more reliable past 100K, Audi maintenance can become pricey when it runs out of warranty, breaks about $1500-$2000 is the common expense. very small things would usually cost about $300-$500 if you want OEM replacement... major repairs a few grand at least if you want factory parts and quality....I bet M3 is about the same.

The Audi interior, equipment and quality tops bimmer for the same price, S6 has really nice seats, most of the car is leather or Alcantara, has cooled seats and rear has its own climate plus a LOT more room if you have a family. My Audi;s had adaptive cruise control something I really miss in my M3. Audi is a rocket ship it will reach triple digits speeds quickly and easily and drives at those speeds very calmly with no drama. It's an autobahn cruiser which is kind of difficult to enjoy on US roads with 65mph limit. The sound is quite good too for both S5 and S6 a bit muted for my taste. The 7 spd DCT in the Audi was great... shifts really quick but not as "mechanical" as the M3.

The Audi S series, is not a special car. It won't turn heads, and when you park it you will not turn back to look at it. it's just a nice car. It doesn't have the looks and "wow" factor of the M3 if that matters to you at all. Once you park it you don't think about it until next time you turn on the engine....

Also the Audi is not such a hardcore driver's machine, it doesn't have the sound, surge pf power or the light go cart feel and control of the M3. toss it in a tight corner and it will not drive like an M3. The rear doesn't dance and the nose feels a bit heavy, it's a bit frightening to corner fast in the Audi's compared to the M3 . overall it's a different car,

I would say this: You shouldn't be cross shopping these two, if you don't love an M3, the S6 is probably the right car for you. If you like the driving characteristics of the M3, you will love the M3, live with the shortcomings and won't be happy with anything else unless you move up to a 911 or better...

hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post

hope this helps
This 🦅
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My $0.02 on the S6 is you should get a fast electric instead.

111mph trap speed is pretty modest acceleration potential these days for a Perfomance street car, and the main strength of that size car (especially Audi) is highway cruising, but EVs do that job better, in my opinion.

The quietness of EV and smoothness of the drive is great. They are the modern day street car cruising missiles, especially in North America where opportunities to go over 100mph on public roads are rare (and have serious consequences if caught by LEOs).

Have you looked into the fast suvs like x3m? Or if that’s too new, older cayenne turbo?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I don't understand why anyone would tell the OP that the 2 cars aren't competitors. For him/her, they're both under consideration, and that's all that matters. They're both great cars, but with quite different strengths and weaknesses.

I owned a 2013 S6 for 4 years and enjoyed it very much. It's faster than most anyone realizes, even on the track (Road America, in my case, so not a tight technical track).

There have been turbo issues, and there's now finally a "service action" about the problem, so Audi has finally acknowledged the issue, but it shouldn't have taken them as long as it did to react, IMO.

My car was out of warranty, and I did worry about an expensive repair eventually being necessary. I considered an '18 S6 when the aforementioned discounts were being offered, but likewise couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance instead. Again, they may not seem like competitors, but overall they really are remarkably similar in all "practical" ways.

I enjoy the Tesla more than I did the S6, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the S6 - I really did. I just like the Tesla better.

OP - if you haven't, I second the suggestion to consider the Tesla.

If you've already made a purchase, what did you get?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #16
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

I had a 2013 S6, APR st2, almost FBO car. Great car, loved it, hated selling it... A month after it left me, a turbo blew. The car had more big ticket fixes, that happen on like 95% of ALL of them, than any other car I've heard of. Mine literally had about 15-20k worth of fixes I would've had to do to keep it on the road. It only had 49k miles BTW. It was fast in a staight line, and the launch control system was pretty wicked, but it was a boat with little to no feel of the road, super boring.
The F80 I got after is one of the most amazing, sublime machines I've ever encountered. Better in every aspect, except obviously wet weather traction, I've found they have roughly the same useable interior space as well.
In the end, I wouldn't go near the Audi, if its out of warranty, with a 10 ft pole, not even someones else's 10 ft pole
Appreciate 0