R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Maintenace questions for a 2017 F82 with 28k miles , driven less than 500 miles a ye

Hi everyone

My M4 hasn’t seen more than 500mile a year the last two plus years due to travel, family and having two kids under two wanted to get the groups input given the low mileage usage of my car and comparing that to the normal service schedule

I have just done normal maintenace at the local bmw dealership and I am not a fan of doing anything more than an oil change (for convenience) with them given absurd rates and lack of trust I have in them.

I have done spark plugs and filters in 2019 and then the pandemic hit and next to no miles on the car. 2020 oil change. 2021 I had brake fluid flush + oil change. 2022 oil change.

I am assuming I am in for oil change and brake flush based on the time (not mileage).

1. Should I still do a brake flush given I’ve not driven the car much and may do another 2000 miles at most this year?

2. If it’s recommended to skip the brake fluid flush, can I reset it myself?

3. The dealership likes to sprint stuff on my when I can’t usually see it on the dash, but they may push another spark plug change. I was going to hold off on that and do it at another place later next year given the low mileage. Is holding off on that not a good idea?

Thanks for the input .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
ron_s55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

If you want your car to drive like new and be in tip top shape, then follow the dealer and manufacturer's advice.

Moisture absorbs into brake fluid over time, so that's why fluid change 2-3 years is recommended.

Personally, I wouldn't mind postponing it a little until you find a different shop or something.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I’d stay on the annual oil changes. As for brake fluid, every 2 years is the interval for typical DOT4 fluid. If you’re not doing high speed stops or are aggressive on the brakes then I’d say you’re fine to skip it a year or two longer. I don’t think you’re going to damage anything or add wear to the brake system by not changing it. But aggressive high temperature brake performance may be diminished. Consider that Toyota and Lexus don’t even require a brake fluid change.

Spark plugs and engine air filter is mileage dependent for most drivers. I wouldn’t suggest changing that on a time interval unless they get really old as they don’t really degrade with time.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Keep on top of the brake fluid changes. Relatively cheap maintenance as opposed to repair costs due to internal corrosion of brake components. Longest I would go is 4 years. By then the brake fluid will look pretty dark.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Thanks for the input. Incidentally today the car is at the dealership.

I agree, maintence is important and I wasn’t trying to skimp out but to understand what’s appropriate .

I am having the dealership do the oil change, brake fluid , and engine air filter

I skipped spark plug change given it was done less than 2000 miles ago. I asked about diff fluid change but they said it’s not due for that right now

What I found interesting was, they quoted $780 for spark plugs but the last time I did it with same dealership and same car it was $1300. When I asked why it’s cheaper , they said it’s a “value” service from BMW as cars get older. I found that hard to believe but good to know it’s not the crazy price it was last time.
Appreciate 0