Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-15-2023, 09:28 AM   #1
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

AC compressor - Denso Part #? Diy link?

Kinda surprised I can't find this information anywhere on the entire internet after having replaced AC compressors on my E46 M3 + 911 Turbo and doing everything on my cars short of cracking open the engine block over the last 17 years...

What is the Denso part number for an AC compressor for an F82 M4 (OEM #64529332781)?

Should the compressor be the same as the N55 in the F32 435i?

In that case, I see Denso #471-1543 applies to the 435i. Does BMW perhaps further modify the compressor (e.g. different size pulley, different clutch, etc) so a direct part from Denso may not apply?

If this is the right part, I can snag it on Amazon Prime with free delivery and have it tomorrow.

All I can seem to come up with are used AC compressors pulled from salvage cars which I'll get if need be, but the car that needs the compressor has 75K miles so slapping in a brand new one especially in central Florida makes the most sense to me.

The reason we're replacing the compressor in the first place is that it seems to be deaded after it rubbed against the intake hoses from a freshly-installed VSRF intake -- this isn't my car, but my friend's 16 year old son's, who I'm helping work on it.

Replacing only the clutch might be fine as I suspect that is what burned out, but given the car has 75K miles, I wouldn't want to go through the process of replacing it only to find the compressor in general is bad.

Any thoughts on whether or not replacing on the clutch/pulley is a good idea?

I haven't kept up with BMW in a while outside of anything E46 related as I moved to Porsche a while ago, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in not readily finding details on aftermarket part numbers or DIYs.

Pls halp
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion

Last edited by djben; 04-20-2023 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
djpeetur170.00
      04-19-2023, 08:26 PM   #2
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

Mission successful.

Took the car to a place that evacuated the old refrigerant, then swapped in the Denso compressor I referenced above after getting it delivered via next-day Amazon Prime delivery for ~$400. R134A vacuum + refill was $195 at a local mechanic shop.

Had to drain the coolant expansion tank then moved it out of the way to access the compressor, wrapped the coolant hose in some towels (it will continue to leak a fair bit of coolant), removed the accessory belt from the AC after using the tensioner to loosen it, and removed the 3 bolts that keep it attached, along with the electrical activation wire that runs to it.

Needed to transfer a mounting plate (it really just keeps the wire that goes to the clutch from rubbing against the pulley) and then reinstalled.

The bottom bolt of the compressor is a MAJOR PITA to get at without dropping it. Had to use two hands on either side of it — left hand guiding the bolt fully underneath the pulley, right hand with a spanner ratchet to tighten it… done 100% by feel.

Accessory belt was also really tight even with a friend fully leaning on the tensioner with a ratchet. A trick to removing and reinstalling it is to leave only the bottom bolt of the compressor connected, then tip the compressor forward to get the belt on or off the pulley.

I’d imagine a BMW dealer in Orlando would have charged $2000+ for the job — $1300 for the OEM compressor and it would likely take a week to get here, and probably 4 hours for labor to remove the compressor/vacuum/refill R134A (if they just did the compressor as we did without replacing the driver/expansion valve) at probably $150/hr.... so I saved my pal something like $1300.

If anyone wants pics or additional details lmk.
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion

Last edited by djben; 04-20-2023 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
bbellz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Nice work! I’m sure your friend appreciates it!
      05-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Had same issue, with intake rubbing, installed a non-denso, non-bmw, remanufactured compressor with all black housing, not even a year, the clutch is out. Good call on the denso, just order mine on amazon. Thank you for being the pioneer for compressors.
Appreciate 0