Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Post M235i to M4

M235i to M4
Hi, some of you might be aware I’ve recently jumped ship to the M4. I thought it might be useful to outline my thoughts and experiences on this journey, it’s been fun! This is by no means fact just one man’s opinion. The M235i is was traded in for the M4 and no longer mine The M4 was customer order to my spec the M235i was dealer spec with all the external M Performance kit already installed. I hope this helps anyone comparing or looking at stepping across.

Looks See posts 2 & 3 for photos.
M235i – Estoril Blue II with M Performance Kit Exterior
M4 – Black Sapphire Metallic with just M Performance grills

Ok let’s start superficial. I liked the 2 series at launch but have always questioned the rear. I think with the M Perf kit it’s really lifted, I had so many compliments about the car. However the M4 is a more elegant interpretation, the rear especially is a huge improvement and really from no angle does it look bad. Nothing wrong at all with the M235i but the M4 does look better. I love the EBII though, would have been great on an M4…..if the whole world did not have it already.

Engine & Drivetrain
M235i – N55 6MT – 0-60 5.0s
M4 – S55 DCT – 0-60 3.9s

I love the 6MT on the M235i, it’s a sweet transmission however in UK or RHD guise beware….after many miles I did tire of the pedal offset. My left clutch foot was literally aligned with the centre of my body and the accelerator right foot quite a way outside the body line. This was perfectly ok for short journeys but does get tiresome in stop start traffic. The control of the manual and overall experience was greater perhaps than that of the DCT, even in manual mode….however….in the 6MT I’m easily the weakest link.
For sprints and real performance the DCT acceleration is in another league. I’ve got to grips with the differences it has vs the ZF8 and it’s an amazing gearbox option. Acceleration is fantastic and being able to set the speed/violence of changes is great!! The acceleration really hits you back into the seat, something I never really did off the line in the M235i (I’ve zero doubt that with the ZF8 it would be similar).
As for the engine both are obviously the cars strongest points IMO and the M4 simply takes it to another level.

Sound / Feel / Soul
M235i – Lovely but refined
M4 – Loud

So the M235i had the M Perf exhaust and it sounded lovely at start up BUT did drone at Motorway speed, this might have had a lot to do with engine note and revs at 70-80mph with only 6 fwd. gears in the 6MT. To me the M4 is, if you need it to be, a quieter cruiser in Efficient mode and in 7th in the DCT. This was a welcome surprise and makes longer journeys much more pleasant.

So to the exhaust note, hmm I like the M4 even stock, it’s superb to have the sunroof open and hear the outside without freezing with the coupe windows down, and those with those turbos spooling up, whoooossshh! The M4 is meatier sounding under really hard acceleration, the M235i never gave me that seat of the pants feeling that the world is about to end, whereas the M4 already has even at running in RPM’s.
As for feel and soul of the cars, I must say the M235i has a fantastic character to it. I think part of that is the size and cost of it for the performance and handling. It makes you like it with its chuck ability. The M4 is just a much more grown up interpretation of a sports coupe with performance at another level. At the moment I’m still needing to concentrate in it and be careful if that makes sense, yet to really let loose to enjoy myself.

The biggest difference in the cars I think is the feeling of solidity throughout the M4. It feels like its made from granite (not in weight but in solidity). Everything feels quality to me and engine, steering feel and drivetrain can feel quite heavy in comparison. I like this. I use Sport Plus a lot in the M4 steering, such a reassuring stiffness to it, I must be odd as lots of reviews do not like this mode.

Wheels/Tyres
M235i – 19inch M Performance. Pirelli PZero RFT’s
M4 – 19 inch Black Standard Wheel. Michelin PSS

I've always been a real OEM guy with regards to wheels etc. The M4 is hands down winner here for me, the ride is so much better on the MPSS being non RFT. It’s bizarre that my dealer fitted RFT PZeros to the M235i M Perf wheels, the ride on these was so harsh on anything but perfect surfaces. My advice to anyone considering the M235i stick with the standard 18 wheel with the MPSS, I longed for this combo after a few hundred miles! I will also say the M4 wheels are an absolute doddle to clean, so much space between those twin spokes, the M Perf wheels are the polar opposite, lots of spokes and spaces. The ride is also helped by much more tyre profile front and rear in the M4.
Both my cars had adaptive suspension and I’d say the M4 is slightly firmer riding, Mode for Mode.

MPG
M235i – 30mpg
M4 - 27mpg!

My drive has a lot of motorway commute with fun at either end and general weekend short runs etc. About 20,000 mpa for me.
M235i after 14,000 miles averaged 30.4 mpg great!!!
M4 after first 1000 miles averaging 27 mpg also great and on the rise. Thankfully the world has decided to have a fuel war at the start of my ownership 

Interior Quality
M235i - Black Dakota Leather and Alu Hex Trim
M4 - Full Sakhir Orange Leather and Carbon Trim

M4 is obviously quite a step up here in many ways. M235i is again a perfectly great place to be but the Full Leather and HUD were options I was keen to get into the M4. Lots of other things are of course identical, seat adjustment, Pro Nav etc etc. You just get what you pay for and hardly any hard plastic on show in the M4. I will say I think longer term a Black Dakota M235i interior will last longer i.e is much more durable. In the end though I lease my cars so she goes back good/bad/indifferent after 3 years. Other little touches like the ambient lighting are executed better in the M4 but again you pay for that (not an option, I just mean it costs more).

Space & Practicality
M235i – Mid sized
M4 – Bigger

M4 is obviously bigger and has IMO considerably more rear room and boot space. I also opted for the sunroof to make sure my beloved bikes can go on the roof, so it’s a practical M4 I’ve tried to convince myself! One small win for the M235i the door bins are nicely divided into 3. Seems like one long bin with a bit at the end on the M4. Kid’s opinion is that there’s a lot more space in the M4 and its much easier getting in and out. I’m 5’10 and setting my drivers chair always had sufficient space for myself in the back with about 0.5’ knee room. In the M4 there seems more headroom but a lot more knee room. I'll post some pics with the racks atop for those practical folks interested. My dealer threw these in for me

So to summarise all is really exactly as I expected, the M4 just feels much more substantial and solid across the board, build quality, performance and looks for me. Is it worth the extra money (UK here my M235i with M Perf was about £45k! and the M4 was about £59k) I think I will say yes for now. The better question and my advice would be unless its a long term M235i keeper avoid the M Performance kit. There's no loser in this compare for me and I enjoy both cars but the M4 has a clear edge.

I've rambled a bit for sure so please any questions might be best I'm happy to help answer, grab a picture etc etc.

Last edited by JustChris; 01-27-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

M235i Pics
Full sets of pictures and delivery etc:-
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006268
Attached Images

Last edited by JustChris; 01-21-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

M4 pics
Full sets and delivery spec etc:-
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1077142
Including the lovely 1xManPower cycle
Attached Images

Last edited by JustChris; 01-21-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Space & Practicality
M235i – Mid sized
M4 – Bigger

M4 is obviously bigger and has IMO considerably more rear room and boot space. I also opted for the sunroof to make sure my beloved bikes can go on the roof, so it’s a practical M4 I’ve tried to convince myself!
nice ride! i'm a total bike whore, but opted for the carbon roof because of the split folding seats in the m4. i can't bear the thought of one of my babies being on the roof!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Great review! Thanks for the feedback and comparison of the two! At one point I was considering the 235i (only very briefly), but am glad I went with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Yeah, to me, it just looks odd with seeing everything on the wrong side of the car.

Oh, and FYI, I'm a bike whore as well, got the moonroof so I could get roofracks, but I haven't purchased the roof racks yet, and have managed to transport my various bikes in the trunk, using the fold down seats. You have to remove the front wheel of your bike, but it will fit. I've even fit my 29er MTB in there. So, if that can fit, just about anything can fit.
      01-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes
Quote:
Space & Practicality
M235i – Mid sized
M4 – Bigger

M4 is obviously bigger and has IMO considerably more rear room and boot space. I also opted for the sunroof to make sure my beloved bikes can go on the roof, so it’s a practical M4 I’ve tried to convince myself!
nice ride! i'm a total bike whore, but opted for the carbon roof because of the split folding seats in the m4. i can't bear the thought of one of my babies being on the roof!
Thanks buddy. I know what you mean, but the roof is essential for family if 4 bikes.....really should have an SUV!
      01-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkl23
Great review! Thanks for the feedback and comparison of the two! At one point I was considering the 235i (only very briefly), but am glad I went with the M3.
Thanks and congrats on yours!
      01-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Yeah, to me, it just looks odd with seeing everything on the wrong side of the car.

Oh, and FYI, I'm a bike whore as well, got the moonroof so I could get roofracks, but I haven't purchased the roof racks yet, and have managed to transport my various bikes in the trunk, using the fold down seats. You have to remove the front wheel of your bike, but it will fit. I've even fit my 29er MTB in there. So, if that can fit, just about anything can fit.
Thanks. Yes the carbon trek domane will go inside when I'm off to races. Roof racks will be fir the roof box the centre parks and family if 4 mountain bikes. Proper work horse this M4!
      01-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

bike whores unite! my racing career is mostly over, but i'm up to about 25 or 30 bikes spread across a few locations. i've gotten 2x 29ers in the back with all wheels removed, separated by a blanket. there was room for a third, but obviously no room for a third passenger, so 2 will do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes
bike whores unite! my racing career is mostly over, but i'm up to about 25 or 30 bikes spread across a few locations. i've gotten 2x 29ers in the back with all wheels removed, separated by a blanket. there was room for a third, but obviously no room for a third passenger, so 2 will do just fine.
Wow, now that's a collection! Hoe!
      01-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

That is quite a few bikes. All I have is my Ridley Orion road bike, my Cannondale Slice tri bike and my 29ers MTB.

Wife wouldn't let me get anymore ::sadface::
      01-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow, now that's a collection! Hoe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
That is quite a few bikes. All I have is my Ridley Orion road bike, my Cannondale Slice tri bike and my 29ers MTB.

Wife wouldn't let me get anymore ::sadface::
road and mountain, old and new, riders and collectors, cheap and expensive, i just can't stop myself. when you have a cool girlfriend and a coffee table facing the television, who really needs a dining room anyway? we should have a combined bike/car photo thread at some point! i suspect there are lots of cyclists among us.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

great write-up and always entertained by your candid views.....cheers, many miles of smiles!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
great write-up and always entertained by your candid views.....cheers, many miles of smiles!
Hey thanks man, very kind of you. I see you have an M235i in production...fantastic what a treat on the horizon, its an absolute hoot. I wonder if I might return to M240I (by then) or the M2 after this lease. Nice choices in BMW world right now, getting my octane fix before batteries take over for good!
      01-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
getting my octane fix before batteries take over for good!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i have the CF roof on my m3 and annoyed about the lack of roof rack option. my bike isn't my "baby" just a basic cannondale so i don't mind throwing it on the roof (of other cars…) i think i may look into the suction cup racks though.

folding seats are where it's at! i got a few 8' boards in the car the other day… it's like a SAS (sports activity sedan).

Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #18
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Matt Farah compares the M235i to the M4. He prefers the M235i

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #19
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Matt Farah compares the M235i to the M4. He prefers the M235i

My fat wife prefers BMW 320 to M3. What's your point?
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
My fat wife prefers BMW 320 to M3. What's your point?
LMAO...

Can't wait to see how the M2 stacks up considering all the positive press the 235i is getting.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #21
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Great post Christ. I was lucky enough to really get on a 235 during my driving school in South Carolina and came away very impressed with the car. I only had a chance to drive the auto, but I've read the manual is special.

I agree if I had to nit pick about the car, the design of the rear is where I would start. It just doesnt look premium enough when compared to the front and interior. And the way you ordered it with the larger wheels and blue calipers looks fantastic. Glad you are also enjoying the M4. You're a lucky guy.
      01-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Great post Christ. I was lucky enough to really get on a 235 during my driving school in South Carolina and came away very impressed with the car. I only had a chance to drive the auto, but I've read the manual is special.

I agree if I had to nit pick about the car, the design of the rear is where I would start. It just doesnt look premium enough when compared to the front and interior. And the way you ordered it with the larger wheels and blue calipers looks fantastic. Glad you are also enjoying the M4. You're a lucky guy.
Thanks mate, yes we're all lucky to drive such cars indeed. How are you enjoying that awesome M4 with 6MT, it's controversial to some but I love the Rev matching feature.