proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #23
JD16
New Member
8
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Really surprised to hear negative reviews of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyres, they have transformed my M5 and everyone I know also thinks they are amazing.

Even online and YouTube owners comment on how good they are.
Completely agree and have managed to test them in all conditions now and speeds. Have certainly got nothing but good things to say.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra642.50

      10-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #24
t5pilot
Major
t5pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
575
Rep
1,280
Posts

Drives: M4 CP
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yorkshire - UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_CaptFlashheart View Post
I just fitted MP4s on the rears and still have the original MPSS up front. On a run today pushing along some b roads near me, I usually feel totally planted but with these new mp4s the car didn't feel solid in high speed bends or direction changes. Something felt wrong and I quickly lost confidence in them. They've only done 100 miles so i'll see how I get on the next couple of weeks. I will lower the tyre pressure a little and remove the rear 12mm spacers. Slow speed and around roundabouts etc they feel very good so far, even if the roads are cold today. High speed needs investigated. I got 18k miles out of the last MPSS rears.
Did you get any better results from the MP4S's, I have the same issue on my M4.

I had MPSS's all-round but when they were due for replacement at a little over 12k miles, I swapped the rears out for MP4S's after reading some strong and positive reviews on them (note; those reviews were more based on M3 owners). However these new tires have all but killed the great feeling the car use to give me. The car always felt very planted and stable at all speeds and cornered wonderfully, never felt uneasy on breaking or tramlined, but now the car does not inspire any confidence, breaking is horrible and faster pace driving is a very uneasy experience, in the end the only gain is in wet conditions where they are certainly offer better grip. They've got around 2.5k under their belt now, no real change, they got slightly better but not even remotely close to what I was expecting or experienced from the MPSS's. I've tried playing with the pressures, currently running 2.8 in the rear (2.4 front on the original MPSS's), tried lighter pressures originally, more around factory settings, but no lower, maybe thinking about adding a little to the rears?? Any ideas?!
Those pressures seem high to me tbh. I can't wait to get my MPS4S's back on the rear of mine (present cup2's nearly shot).
I run them the same pressure as the cup2's, 2.2 bar (cold).
__________________
/// M-Power ///
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #25
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5276
Rep
17,666
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_CaptFlashheart View Post
I just fitted MP4s on the rears and still have the original MPSS up front. On a run today pushing along some b roads near me, I usually feel totally planted but with these new mp4s the car didn't feel solid in high speed bends or direction changes. Something felt wrong and I quickly lost confidence in them. They've only done 100 miles so i'll see how I get on the next couple of weeks. I will lower the tyre pressure a little and remove the rear 12mm spacers. Slow speed and around roundabouts etc they feel very good so far, even if the roads are cold today. High speed needs investigated. I got 18k miles out of the last MPSS rears.
Did you get any better results from the MP4S's, I have the same issue on my M4.

I had MPSS's all-round but when they were due for replacement at a little over 12k miles, I swapped the rears out for MP4S's after reading some strong and positive reviews on them (note; those reviews were more based on M3 owners). However these new tires have all but killed the great feeling the car use to give me. The car always felt very planted and stable at all speeds and cornered wonderfully, never felt uneasy on breaking or tramlined, but now the car does not inspire any confidence, breaking is horrible and faster pace driving is a very uneasy experience, in the end the only gain is in wet conditions where they are certainly offer better grip. They've got around 2.5k under their belt now, no real change, they got slightly better but not even remotely close to what I was expecting or experienced from the MPSS's. I've tried playing with the pressures, currently running 2.8 in the rear (2.4 front on the original MPSS's), tried lighter pressures originally, more around factory settings, but no lower, maybe thinking about adding a little to the rears?? Any ideas?!
Those pressures seem high to me tbh. I can't wait to get my MPS4S's back on the rear of mine (present cup2's nearly shot).
I run them the same pressure as the cup2's, 2.2 bar (cold).
Agree, those pressures are way too high compared to what's in the door card, and what I run.
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
t5pilot574.50

      10-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #26
Aero1971
New Member
Aero1971's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Those pressures seem high to me tbh. I can't wait to get my MPS4S's back on the rear of mine (present cup2's nearly shot).
I run them the same pressure as the cup2's, 2.2 bar (cold).
I was running at the door card recommendations, but I'll try them at 2.2 (cold) and see if this transforms the feel. Thx for the advise
Appreciate 1
t5pilot574.50

      11-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #27
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
196
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: M4 2018
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Just confirm, you've got the pilot sport 4s & not pilot sport 4?
So MPS4S, not MP4S...
Yes, MPS4S on the rears now. 12mm spacers. No spacers up front with MPSS. Rear of the car feels as if its sliding when pushing at speed on b roads etc. A real shame because with my last 2 M4's The first one had continental P5 which I didn't rate at all, sliding everywhere, then the MPSS on my last M4 which were a massive improvement, then reading about the MPS4S being better, I tried them. Not at all happy and having just gotten home from work, I need to play around with tyre pressures and remove spacers to make sure its not something simple. Wish i'd just stuck with MPSS. Anyone want to buy a set of hardly used MPS4S 285/30/20??? lol
__________________
M4 AY 2016
M4 SMB 2017
M4 Riviera Blue with CCB's 2018
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:08 AM   #28
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
196
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: M4 2018
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD16 View Post
Completely agree and have managed to test them in all conditions now and speeds. Have certainly got nothing but good things to say.
When you say at all speeds, are we saying normal road speeds? At road legal speeds I can't fault them really because they aren't being pushed at all.
__________________
M4 AY 2016
M4 SMB 2017
M4 Riviera Blue with CCB's 2018

Last edited by M4_CaptFlashheart; 11-09-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #29
t5pilot
Major
t5pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
575
Rep
1,280
Posts

Drives: M4 CP
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yorkshire - UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_CaptFlashheart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Just confirm, you've got the pilot sport 4s & not pilot sport 4?
So MPS4S, not MP4S...
Yes, MPS4S on the rears now. 12mm spacers. No spacers up front with MPSS. Rear of the car feels as if its sliding when pushing at speed on b roads etc. A real shame because with my last 2 M4's The first one had continental P5 which I didn't rate at all, sliding everywhere, then the MPSS on my last M4 which were a massive improvement, then reading about the MPS4S being better, I tried them. Not at all happy and having just gotten home from work, I need to play around with tyre pressures and remove spacers to make sure its not something simple. Wish i'd just stuck with MPSS. Anyone want to buy a set of hardly used MPS4S 285/30/20??? lol
My setup is the same on 12mm spacers.
Isn't it interesting how opinions vary. I love the 4S on the back. Feels so planted to me. No rolling or squirming at all.
How much do you want for yours? I'm always up for having some spares...
__________________
/// M-Power ///
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #30
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
196
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: M4 2018
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
My setup is the same on 12mm spacers.
Isn't it interesting how opinions vary. I love the 4S on the back. Feels so planted to me. No rolling or squirming at all.
How much do you want for yours? I'm always up for having some spares...
Do you have the spacers all round? I'm just wondering if not fitting my front spacers yet is the cause of the issue? Geo slightly out creating imbalance. I just want to try and see if theres something obvious causing this. You're right about opinions. Weird how they feel great to some people and not to others. I'm wondering if there are different spec tyres ?? Mine are definitely the MPS4S and XL 99Y. Pressure 2.2bar.
__________________
M4 AY 2016
M4 SMB 2017
M4 Riviera Blue with CCB's 2018
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #31
t5pilot
Major
t5pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
575
Rep
1,280
Posts

Drives: M4 CP
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yorkshire - UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_CaptFlashheart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
My setup is the same on 12mm spacers.
Isn't it interesting how opinions vary. I love the 4S on the back. Feels so planted to me. No rolling or squirming at all.
How much do you want for yours? I'm always up for having some spares...
Do you have the spacers all round? I'm just wondering if not fitting my front spacers yet is the cause of the issue? Geo slightly out creating imbalance. I just want to try and see if theres something obvious causing this. You're right about opinions. Weird how they feel great to some people and not to others. I'm wondering if there are different spec tyres ?? Mine are definitely the MPS4S and XL 99Y. Pressure 2.2bar.
Those tyres are identical to mine.
Yes, 12mm spacers all round, I'm not a believer in altering front/rear axles to a different proportion than designed.
__________________
/// M-Power ///
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #32
SteveChester
Steve Roberts
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1035
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I was thinking about replacing my MPSS with 4s on the fronts when they are due but not so sure now!!
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #33
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
196
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: M4 2018
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

I'll report my findings when I can be bothered to put my spacers on the front. Hopefully tomorrow.
__________________
M4 AY 2016
M4 SMB 2017
M4 Riviera Blue with CCB's 2018
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
196
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: M4 2018
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Well a few hundred miles later and they seem to have improved. Just waiting for some dry weather so i'll sport back around august 2020
__________________
M4 AY 2016
M4 SMB 2017
M4 Riviera Blue with CCB's 2018
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST