GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

2020 M4 Comp Buying Advice

Hi All,

I've spent a number of years over on E90 post and have been thinking about jumping over into an F82 M4 (and my first M car).
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in my 335i, from being a daily commuter to blasting round the track, but the latter was where it struggled and has ever since always made me want an M car that is more suited to that more spirited side of driving, even if going on track is a rare occasion. With the G80 looking like it won't be for me, looks wise at least, I've focused my attention on the M4.

As long term owners, I'd like to ask you a few questions which will help me decide whether the move is right for me as I'm a little hesitant based on the below. I'd be looking to get something like a fully loaded 2019-ish comp pack year car.

• Suspension and stiffness of the ride - 335i has been used as a daily 99% of the time, going up and down the motorway everyday, some of which is the rubbish old loud concrete surface. Is the M4's ride going to drive me nuts with the road noise and stiff set up? Is the set up pretty stiff even in comfort mode?
  • Is the spiky nature of the power delivery sorted in LCI versions or is that still a character of the car?
  • I'd like to understand whether the reports of it being a handful are honestly true. I don't drive like crazy on the roads but if I am sat at the lights, TC on and just boot it, is it literally going to try spit me off the road?
  • Creaks and rattles! Sorted out in the LCI and later years or are doors still rattling whilst driving? Im reading conflicting reports that F series cars are not as well built as those before and others that say the complete opposite.
  • The DCT in my car can be fairly jerky at low speeds and when stuck in traffic, is it an improved version in the M cars?
  • Is steering feel and feedback going to be something I'm going to notice as being worse moving from hydraulic -> electric?
  • Less important but do the OPF fitted cars still make that lift off 'bark' sound you can clearly hear in the early cars, or has that all now been muted out?
  • Are any of you thinking of changing to something new now that the production run has ended or do you still find it modern enough for your tech needs?

I appreciate a lot of the above are going to be purely individual opinions. I only managed a quick test drive on the road but in my excitement foolishly only paid attention to the power and not more of the car as a whole, hence wanting to hear the opinions from others.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Many early issues sorted with the lci. Even more with subsequent updates.
I don't think you'll go far wrong.
But being perfectly honest, any feedback on your questions is all going to be mixed, as it's all very subjective.
You really should get one on at least a 24hour test drive. Even a slightly older one, as long as it's lci. It's the only way to properly satisfy your questions. Dealer should easily accommodate this with the potential of a £50k sale.
      07-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
But being perfectly honest, any feedback on your questions is all going to be mixed, as it's all very subjective.
You really should get one on at least a 24hour test drive. Even a slightly older one, as long as it's lci. It's the only way to properly satisfy your questions. Dealer should easily accommodate this with the potential of a £50k sale.
Thanks for the reply and yes you're right it is all subjective at the end of the day.

I didn't realise 24 hour test drives were an option so I'll definitely enquire about that.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Thanks for the reply and yes you're right it is all subjective at the end of the day.

I didn't realise 24 hour test drives were an option so I'll definitely enquire about that.

Cheers
Yeah, I'd have thought they'd sort you out.
I've just been offered one for the lci M5 Comp when my local dealer gets one on demo.
      07-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers
They are only an option if there is a dealer running one as a demo. Be quick as there won’t be many demos available now due to the replacement model being imminent

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Colinear
M4Col
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 & Audi S5

To chip in with my 10 peneth, I had an early 335i e92 and it did steer much sweeter than my current F82 Comp. From my ownership of the current F82 (non modified) the suspension is more than adequate for daily commuting.
No rattles and squeaks experienced. Owned for 2 years now.
DCT can occasionally be jerky if you are really going slow eg in a car park looking for a space or also if you accelerate quickly then lift off.
More importantly I would not go back to a E92 as the F82 is head shoulders a better car. Its definitely better looking, interiors nicer, ICE much better. I love mine. I’d definitely recommend taking the plunge. Some good bargains to be had currently due to run out.
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      07-28-2020, 05:05 AM   #7
DanTheMan83
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 2019 - A3 SLine - ZX10R

Quote:
Hi All,

I've spent a number of years over on E90 post and have been thinking about jumping over into an F82 M4 (and my first M car).
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in my 335i, from being a daily commuter to blasting round the track, but the latter was where it struggled and has ever since always made me want an M car that is more suited to that more spirited side of driving, even if going on track is a rare occasion. With the G80 looking like it won't be for me, looks wise at least, I've focused my attention on the M4.

As long term owners, I'd like to ask you a few questions which will help me decide whether the move is right for me as I'm a little hesitant based on the below. I'd be looking to get something like a fully loaded 2019-ish comp pack year car.

• Suspension and stiffness of the ride - 335i has been used as a daily 99% of the time, going up and down the motorway everyday, some of which is the rubbish old loud concrete surface. Is the M4's ride going to drive me nuts with the road noise and stiff set up? Is the set up pretty stiff even in comfort mode?
  • Is the spiky nature of the power delivery sorted in LCI versions or is that still a character of the car?
  • I'd like to understand whether the reports of it being a handful are honestly true. I don't drive like crazy on the roads but if I am sat at the lights, TC on and just boot it, is it literally going to try spit me off the road?
  • Creaks and rattles! Sorted out in the LCI and later years or are doors still rattling whilst driving? Im reading conflicting reports that F series cars are not as well built as those before and others that say the complete opposite.
  • The DCT in my car can be fairly jerky at low speeds and when stuck in traffic, is it an improved version in the M cars?
  • Is steering feel and feedback going to be something I'm going to notice as being worse moving from hydraulic -> electric?
  • Less important but do the OPF fitted cars still make that lift off 'bark' sound you can clearly hear in the early cars, or has that all now been muted out?
  • Are any of you thinking of changing to something new now that the production run has ended or do you still find it modern enough for your tech needs?

I appreciate a lot of the above are going to be purely individual opinions. I only managed a quick test drive on the road but in my excitement foolishly only paid attention to the power and not more of the car as a whole, hence wanting to hear the opinions from others.

Many thanks
I recently picked up a pre-reg 69 Plate non comp M4 and coming from an 2015 M135i.

I've found the M4 so much more comfortable and i was expecting it to harsh and extreme all the time but it really can be a comfy cruiser as well as a beast. Plus is feels so planted at speed feels, secure and in control.

Power delivery feels good and not spikey to me.

DCT can very rarely be jerky if you are in sport in car park say but that is rare. I'm still getting use to it though coming from a manual it being my first auto/DCT.

All I can say, is that the M4 is epic!! It is my first M Car also and I've always wanted one since I was a kid. It doesn't disappoint.
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      07-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinear View Post
To chip in with my 10 peneth, I had an early 335i e92 and it did steer much sweeter than my current F82 Comp. From my ownership of the current F82 (non modified) the suspension is more than adequate for daily commuting.
No rattles and squeaks experienced. Owned for 2 years now.
DCT can occasionally be jerky if you are really going slow eg in a car park looking for a space or also if you accelerate quickly then lift off.
More importantly I would not go back to a E92 as the F82 is head shoulders a better car. Its definitely better looking, interiors nicer, ICE much better. I love mine. I’d definitely recommend taking the plunge. Some good bargains to be had currently due to run out.
Excellent, I was hoping someone here had made the same jump. On the steering front is it feel and feedback that is lacking?
I like the exterior and interior design a lot so it sounds, despite the above, overall it is a far better car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan83 View Post
I recently picked up a pre-reg 69 Plate non comp M4 and coming from an 2015 M135i.

I've found the M4 so much more comfortable and i was expecting it to harsh and extreme all the time but it really can be a comfy cruiser as well as a beast. Plus is feels so planted at speed feels, secure and in control.

Power delivery feels good and not spikey to me.

DCT can very rarely be jerky if you are in sport in car park say but that is rare. I'm still getting use to it though coming from a manual it being my first auto/DCT.

All I can say, is that the M4 is epic!! It is my first M Car also and I've always wanted one since I was a kid. It doesn't disappoint.
Good to hear regarding the ride. I had the intention of possibly using it as a daily driver. I'm all for the stiff ride when it counts but not all the time, if its possible to dial away the harshness in one of the modes then that makes it good for different situations.
DCT sounds like it may be improved from E92 gen as in stop/start traffic mine does tend to jerk at times, though it's sporadic.
Happy with the sound of the exhaust coming from the M135i?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

And to be fair, for very little expense, the GTS DCT flash sorts ALL jerkiness out completely.
      07-29-2020, 01:15 AM   #10
Colinear
M4Col
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 & Audi S5

For daily driving I use comfort mode for suspension and its fine. Steering I have in sport+ which makes it heavier and more old school feel. Its difficult to describe but it still doesn’t feel like how the old e92 335i felt with proper hydraulic steering. But you soon get past that when you press the accelerator. To be fair the 2 cars aren’t really comparing “like for like”. M4 is definitely next level. Take the plunge, you’ll not be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50