BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #45
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_guapo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Vanja View Post
I want to give a special S-O to Cary Jordan for dialing in my 93 Octane and Full E85 tunes. Dyno result speaks for itself, but just as important is the smooth, stocklike drivability. Starting with an hour long phone call explaining the process step by step, Cary has been extremely professional. Even with the car not performing optimally at first due to stock plugs and filters, Cary didn't hesitate to reconnect for another dyno session and perfect the tune. So anyone that is looking for stellar custom tuning with outstanding customer service, I highly recommend JordanTuned.
is this with oem plugs? or you had to swap to colder plugs. i'm running oem plugs right now, wondering if i have to swap them again to run this tune?
My OEM plugs had about 15K on them and appeared fine with Stg1 OTS. They looked to be ok with Cary's 93 map as well, however on full E85 car started misfiring up top. I also had to get rid of stock filters including charcoals which were choking me once tuned. Went with BMC drop ins and Cary was able to squeeze out little more timing with now better flow.
      05-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #46
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
My OEM plugs had about 15K on them and appeared fine with Stg1 OTS. They looked to be ok with Cary's 93 map as well, however on full E85 car started misfiring up top. I also had to get rid of stock filters including charcoals which were choking me once tuned. Went with BMC drop ins and Cary was able to squeeze out little more timing with now better flow.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #47
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
it's still a strong tune but you will be losing 30-40 whp
Hmm... my experience was actually different.

I was tuned with F80Paul full E85 aggressive tune, 26psi and I was running Akrapovic cat-less downpipes.

Well, I was kinda over the noise so I decided to switch back to stock downpipes, afterwards I did a few datalogs and sent them to F80Paul expecting at least a couple of revisions, but surprisingly everything was still perfect according to the logs. The car actually felt a bit quicker according to my butt dyno with the stock downpipes!

To put that to the test, I did some DRAGY 60-130 pulls and amazingly I was able to consistently shave off a tenth of a second with the stock downpipes compared to catless downpipes. With the exact same E85 tune.

Is my car a freak or are stock downpipes not restrictive at all unless you go over 600whp?
What 60-130 times are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:27 AM   #48
luchocamp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2LPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post
Hmm... my experience was actually different.

I was tuned with F80Paul full E85 aggressive tune, 26psi and I was running Akrapovic cat-less downpipes.

Well, I was kinda over the noise so I decided to switch back to stock downpipes, afterwards I did a few datalogs and sent them to F80Paul expecting at least a couple of revisions, but surprisingly everything was still perfect according to the logs. The car actually felt a bit quicker according to my butt dyno with the stock downpipes!

To put that to the test, I did some DRAGY 60-130 pulls and amazingly I was able to consistently shave off a tenth of a second with the stock downpipes compared to catless downpipes. With the exact same E85 tune.

Is my car a freak or are stock downpipes not restrictive at all unless you go over 600whp?
could you please both DA without and with stock dp ...
instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #49
ac419
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've been looking into a E85 tune with Cary. However, I had a few questions. When you're tuned on a E85 tune are you still able to fill up with 91 octane gas if E85 is not available? I currently have BM3, how does one get in contact with him? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #50
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac419 View Post
I've been looking into a E85 tune with Cary. However, I had a few questions. When you're tuned on a E85 tune are you still able to fill up with 91 octane gas if E85 is not available? I currently have BM3, how does one get in contact with him? Thanks in advance.
Not without flashing the 91 map. You can visit his website or request custom tune via BM3.
      07-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #51
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Not without flashing the 91 map. You can visit his website or request custom tune via BM3.
Has your crank hub held up with just a CBC on e85 tune? How many miles so far?
      07-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #52
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Has your crank hub held up with just a CBC on e85 tune? How many miles so far?
Yes and about 8K proper miles. So far so good!
MJ6963.50
      07-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #53
ckendri
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - F82

I have a Cary E85 tune with just a CBC, and I've got 6k miles so far. Love the tune. Great guy to work with.
      07-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #54
red_guapo
Private
Rep
Drives: Black M4 DCT

thinking about going this route, hows the turn around time on the datalogs and revised tunes?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #55
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thinking about going this route, hows the turn around time on the datalogs and revised tunes?
I got mine done on the dyno in about two hours. Car has been running perfect without a single hiccup, but I'd imagine best scenario is to do few revisions on the street and polish off on the dyno.
      07-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #56
ckendri
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did street tuning and he did 4 revisions total. Every revision was back within 24 hours of my log submittal, so I was happy. Some of them even were returned in 4-6 hours.
      11-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #57
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
I got mine done on the dyno in about two hours. Car has been running perfect without a single hiccup, but I'd imagine best scenario is to do few revisions on the street and polish off on the dyno.
How much did it cost you to rent the dyno for 2 hours?

Debating if I should street tune or dyno tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckendri View Post
I did street tuning and he did 4 revisions total. Every revision was back within 24 hours of my log submittal, so I was happy. Some of them even were returned in 4-6 hours.
Why did you go with the hybrid vs S2+?
      11-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #58
ckendri
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckendri View Post
Great question. The truth is all of the hub talk scared me, so I went "conservative." I did not have anything crank hub related on the car when I tuned it, but I followed up with a CBC about 1,000 miles later. if I was doing it now, I would go S2+, but you don't know what you don't know. There really isn't much safety in the hybrid compared to the 2+, so why not go all the way?
      12-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #59
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I was planning on doing water meth injection but then someone recommended E85. After discovering that I live 2.4 miles away from an E85 station it made way more sense to go this route!

I have a SSR intake, VTT V2 crank hub and bolt capture, and NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped to 0.02. Everything else is completely stock.

I am in the process of tuning with Cary Jordan. So far it has been a very smooth experience and everyone has been very professional. He said most people start with street tuning and then finish up on the dyno. I just completed my first round of street tuning and holy cr*# is it fast. I know the air intake doesn't really add HP but the increased boost makes it sound sooooo good. The only issue I had was it kept spinning the wheels in third gear...time to update tires! Cary said everything looks great and the next step is dyno. They don't have availability until January so I will post my graphs and wheel HP/Torque numbers once that's completed. I can say that the "sport display" in the car said I was putting down 560hp (I'm assuming this is at the crank and probably wildly inaccurate).

I found 3 local shops that rent out dyno time. The cost varied from $125 per hour to $250 per hour which includes someone to set the car up and do the pulls. Anyone know if it matters what type of dyno is used or if they have adequate equipment like fans during the pulls?

I'll update after the dyno tunes in January!

Quote:

Appreciate 2
      12-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #60
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

StondM3, who installed your VTT hub and what did they charge you?
E85 is everywhere now from Elk Grove to Placerville.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #61
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Vargas Turbo in Hayward, CA. They did a great job and responded promptly to all my questions, and even when there was a minor hiccup they were responsive and took steps immediately to make it right. $2,500. Keep in mind this was right around Black Friday so the price may vary.

WAY cheaper than the Maximum PSI solution from what I've read and the reliability seems to be at least equivalent. Time will tell!

I know spun crank hubs are fairly rare and even with a tune mine might never spin, but I would CONSTANTLY worry about it and for me the price is worth the peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
StondM3, who installed your VTT hub and what did they charge you?
E85 is everywhere now from Elk Grove to Placerville.

Last edited by stondM3; 12-14-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
Wanted_M759.00
ckendri40.50
      12-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #62
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stondM3 View Post
I was planning on doing water meth injection but then someone recommended E85. After discovering that I live 2.4 miles away from an E85 station it made way more sense to go this route!

I have a SSR intake, VTT V2 crank hub and bolt capture, and NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped to 0.02. Everything else is completely stock.

I am in the process of tuning with Cary Jordan. So far it has been a very smooth experience and everyone has been very professional. He said most people start with street tuning and then finish up on the dyno. I just completed my first round of street tuning and holy cr*# is it fast. I know the air intake doesn't really add HP but the increased boost makes it sound sooooo good. The only issue I had was it kept spinning the wheels in third gear...time to update tires! Cary said everything looks great and the next step is dyno. They don't have availability until January so I will post my graphs and wheel HP/Torque numbers once that's completed. I can say that the "sport display" in the car said I was putting down 560hp (I'm assuming this is at the crank and probably wildly inaccurate).

I found 3 local shops that rent out dyno time. The cost varied from $125 per hour to $250 per hour which includes someone to set the car up and do the pulls. Anyone know if it matters what type of dyno is used or if they have adequate equipment like fans during the pulls?

I'll update after the dyno tunes in January!
I have SSR intakes also and that sound is freaking sweet after the E85 tune. I am also having the same issue on 3rd gear on S2+ street tuning. Cary told me to turn off traction and MDM. I don't feel safe doing that at all. I'm already sliding all over the place with traction on WOT.

I'm planning to get dyno tunes in January also. Let me know which shop you choose. Maybe we can get it done together. I found a shop that is charging $150/hr Dynojet.
      12-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #63
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

I hear ya man. It was sketchy doing the pulls with traction control completely off. Need wider/stickier tires with this tune.

Where did you find a dyno jet in sac?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #64
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

I had my dyno session with Cary today. He was great to work with and I am super happy with the results. Not only is it making an insane amount of power with stock turbos and fuel system but the delivery is really smooth. I highly recommend doing a dyno tune and not just sticking with street logging; it got me an extra 40+ Hp and the power delivery is so much smoother and usable when compared to the street logged tune.

Keep in mind this was done on a Dynocom Dyno which some people say puts down slightly higher numbers than a dyno jet but either way it is extremely impressive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4