Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

05-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Comp 6mt

2016 F82 Comp - Is this normal front tire wear?

I have a 2016 f82 competition with 48k miles and it has been lowered for the past 15k miles on BMW MPHAS. I’ve noticed some inner tire wear on the front set. To be honest I don’t know if this happened after lowering or not, but I will say I’ve been keeping an eye on it for the past 4K miles and the wear pattern doesn’t seem to have gotten any worse. When I first noticed this 4K miles ago I for sure thought I would see metal cords by now but that’s not the case.

Anyway, I’ve done some research and it seems this is a toe issue, but I’ve had a few alignments over the past 15k miles and they come back in the green. My question is…is this front inner tire wear normal for lowered f80s? I do plan on changing the tires out soon anyway, but I want to fix whatever underlying issue is causing this before doing so. There is no rubbing from what I can tell. Any thoughts? Or is this normal for f80s?

Pictured is the front driver and passenger side tires, both showing the same exact wear. Appreciate any input!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rahul718; 05-15-2022 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It seems like every time I’ve gotten an alignment it’s always come back in the green and I think that’s where the technicians stop. It also seems like this is a toe issue. Can anyone confirm? If so, what specs should I shoot for, for an even wearing street tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
EuroSteez
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
It seems like every time I’ve gotten an alignment it’s always come back in the green and I think that’s where the technicians stop. It also seems like this is a toe issue. Can anyone confirm? If so, what specs should I shoot for, for an even wearing street tire?
Not sure if this helps, since I'm not sure if the design is identical between the KW HAS & the MP HAS, but I had identical front tire wear on my driver's side tire when I installed my Titan7 wheels along with my KW HAS suspension. Turns out, KW HAS (and some other aftermarket suspensions) can limit the inner tire clearance you have, especially with aftermarket wheels. In my case, my unusual front tire wear was actually being caused by my tire SLIGHTLY rubbing against my front spring under certain conditions. The fix ended up being to rotate my driver's side spring slightly to give more tire clearance, and I added a 3mm spacer just to be sure. I would recommend checking to see if you're also having a spring rubbing issue against your inner front tires. I haven't had any problems since and here's a link to an article from Apex wheels that talks about the suspension/tire clearance issue on the F8x platform (it's at the bottom of the page): https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

Hope this helps and good luck!
Appreciate 1
Rahul718144.00
      05-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSteez View Post
Not sure if this helps, since I'm not sure if the design is identical between the KW HAS & the MP HAS, but I had identical front tire wear on my driver's side tire when I installed my Titan7 wheels along with my KW HAS suspension. Turns out, KW HAS (and some other aftermarket suspensions) can limit the inner tire clearance you have, especially with aftermarket wheels. In my case, my unusual front tire wear was actually being caused by my tire SLIGHTLY rubbing against my front spring under certain conditions. The fix ended up being to rotate my driver's side spring slightly to give more tire clearance, and I added a 3mm spacer just to be sure. I would recommend checking to see if you're also having a spring rubbing issue against your inner front tires. I haven't had any problems since and here's a link to an article from Apex wheels that talks about the suspension/tire clearance issue on the F8x platform (it's at the bottom of the page): https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

Hope this helps and good luck!
Hey thanks so much for this! I will look into it for sure, although I don’t recall seeing any rubbing or contact points.
Appreciate 0