BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-22-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
ChrisSTR
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 coupé

Μ4 - christmas tree

I had a kinda bizarre problem and I want your view in the subject.

After 2 months in the garage, I started up my M4 in order to take it a ride. The engine started like a charm but I got 3 fault messages: Open Hood, fault in the airbag and problem with the gearbox. At the same time the rpm and km/h wasn't working. I selected a gear, I "heard" that I took it and i got away.

So the car was working flawless except these 3 messages stuck in there. Ι drove it for like 30 minutes and all of a sudden everything came to normal. And no fault codes in the OBDII after that. Pretty annoying...

Anyone with the same experience? (specs: 2015 - 16'000 miles)

Last edited by ChrisSTR; 03-22-2020 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSTR View Post
I had a kinda bizarre problem and I want your view in the subject.

After 2 months in the garage, I started up my M4 in order to take it a ride. The engine started like a charm but I got 3 fault messages: Open Hood, fault in the airbag and problem with the gearbox. At the same time the rpm and km/h wasn't working. I selected a gear, I "heard" that I took it and i got away.

So the car was working flawless except these 3 messages stuck in there. Ι drove it for like 30 minutes and all of a sudden everything came to normal. And no fault codes in the OBDII after that. Pretty annoying...

Anyone with the same experience? (specs: 2015 - 16'000 miles)
Might be low battery issue. Try keeping it on battery tender if you are going to not touch it for 2 months. That's a pretty long time.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Might be low battery issue. Try keeping it on battery tender if you are going to not touch it for 2 months. That's a pretty long time.
Aaand a pretty expensive replacement as well if you ruin it.

I'd never keep a car stored that long without a battery tender connected to it.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

+1 vote for low battery issues causing this.
This quarantine is going to kill/drain a lot of batteries.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
ChrisSTR
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

That's what I was thinking... The downside is that I don't have acces to electricity in my garage, so I think I need to take it for a drive now and then...
      03-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
That's what I was thinking... The downside is that I don't have acces to electricity in my garage, so I think I need to take it for a drive now and then...
Same here.
Does anyone have a solution for this beside removing the battery and keeping it in the house on a tender?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X.X.I.V View Post
Same here.
Does anyone have a solution for this beside removing the battery and keeping it in the house on a tender?
Drive it.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
ChrisSTR
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Same here.
I don't know how easy is to take off/put it on... But I think given the circumstances it's the only solution.
      04-07-2020, 04:54 AM   #9
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Same here.
You could just disconnect negative terminal and leave it in the car for few months, it won't drain. Unlatch rear seats before closing the trunk because it won't open without connected battery. You'll have to climb in trough the cab to reconnect. Before doing this, battery voltage should be 13.2V with engine off. In case no voltmeter device available use cluster test mode. Test 11 shows voltage and it's pretty accurate.

On the other note, I wouldn't suggest doing this often but it will work.
Depending on idling laws in your area, driving isn't really necessary. Idling for 5-10 minutes every 14 days will keep the battery charged. After startup hold the brake pedal for about 7 seconds and it's activated. It doesn't say that in the owners manual because of local laws and environment. They're still using the old suggestion about driving the vehicle for 30 minutes which is practice for wet and some AGM style batteries.

F8X system charges battery mostly when there's no load on the engine.
Coasting or decelerating gives the biggest burst, then it goes braking and idling.
It's hard to give exact percentages since this system takes into the account outside temperature and current battery state of charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Definitely a low battery issue, my E92 M3 went bat shit crazy when the battery was low/bad. Fortunately a new battery for it was only $250. Too bad it's like 6x more for the F80.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:34 AM   #11
ChrisSTR
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post
You could just disconnect negative terminal and leave it in the car for few months, it won't drain. Unlatch rear seats before closing the trunk because it won't open without connected battery. You'll have to climb in trough the cab to reconnect. Before doing this, battery voltage should be 13.2V with engine off. In case no voltmeter device available use cluster test mode. Test 11 shows voltage and it's pretty accurate.

On the other note, I wouldn't suggest doing this often but it will work.
Depending on idling laws in your area, driving isn't really necessary. Idling for 5-10 minutes every 14 days will keep the battery charged. After startup hold the brake pedal for about 7 seconds and it's activated. It doesn't say that in the owners manual because of local laws and environment. They're still using the old suggestion about driving the vehicle for 30 minutes which is practice for wet and some AGM style batteries.

F8X system charges battery mostly when there's no load on the engine.
Coasting or decelerating gives the biggest burst, then it goes braking and idling.
It's hard to give exact percentages since this system takes into the account outside temperature and current battery state of charge.
Cool information there! Thanks!How do I acces TEST 11?
      04-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #12
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Cool information there! Thanks!How do I acces TEST 11?
It works with engine on and when driving as well. It's always activated with long press of odo reset button and in F series each time it has to be unlocked. Video shows only system test, when unlocked it's possible to see rest of the read outs.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
ChrisSTR
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post
It works with engine on and when driving as well. It's always activated with long press of odo reset button and in F series each time it has to be unlocked. Video shows only system test, when unlocked it's possible to see rest of the read outs.

Thanks a lot mate!! You've been the most helpful!!