BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #89
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...0001124-2.html
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #90
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
What the hell does an intercooler have to do with being CARB approved?
I'm pretty sure any modification to the intake/engine/exhaust system requires CARB approval to be installed in California. Otherwise California police can write you a ticket for your vehicle being illegally modified, or the vehicle will not pass inspection. If it wasn't a blanket type of law, there would be so many challenges in courts that it's just easier to make this blanket law and have the CARB approval process.

Not agreeing/disagreeing with the law, just explaining what I think is going on. My cousin lives in Cali and is a pretty avid car enthusiast, and we talk a lot about this stuff. It's the same reason people are going to extensive lengths to cut their secondary cats open at the side weld seams to remove the internals and weld it back to make it look 100% stock. You're obviously not going to find a CARB approved cat bypass pipe, but if it looks stock, nobody is going to question it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #91
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I've had Wagner coolers on past audi builds, they are quite well built

This looks like an oe replacement rather than re-design like the forge
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #92
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Looks like another good option. Wagner makes some REALLY nice stuff for the N54, but usually crazy expensive relative to the competition.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #93
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

forge is back to stock. just FYI
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #94
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just to give everyone a heads up, BMS will be releasing their charge cooler for the F8X platform soon. $799 intro pricing.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #95
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Just to give everyone a heads up, BMS will be releasing their charge cooler for the F8X platform soon. $799 intro pricing.
Wow, that is really a good price. Where did you get this information ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 02:32 AM   #96
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Quote:
Wow, that is really a good price. Where did you get this information ?
Directly from BMS.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #97
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Hope it's not that chinese cooler rebranded

https://m.alibaba.com/product/608235...45bc284fiHSDMz
Appreciate 1
M3anPower175.50
      03-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #98
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

The design seems to be very similar with CSF's...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #99
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Quote:

I rather a midget sit on top and blow on my CP then use one of these knockoffs
Appreciate 1
domino_z1196.00
      03-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #100
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly my thought
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #101
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

New to this game

https://www.vividracing.com/agency-p...152642102.html
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #102
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

They all have one thing in common. They are no better than stock
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #103
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
From my S5 days (water to air intercooler) the cores would leak because of pressure within the intercooler fluid loop, and not caused by pressure from boost produced from the 'charger...the option we had for aftermarket cores were a bar and plate design, and needless to say, the reduction in surface area over a traditional design resulted in higher intake air temps, R&D stopped subsequently.

The cause: we found that when the pump shuts itself off, the fluid would then push up against the tanks cap, the push caused pressure to build up and eventually collapse the cores).

The solution: I made an overflow line from the top of the tank, approx 3-4' in length, and capped the end of the tube. Once the pump turned back on, the "overflow" fluid would be sucked out of the tube back into the loop.

^^ kept the OE cores from leaking.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      05-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #104
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Bumping this thread back up, as it was a good read with some points i am interested in. I installed the CSF heat exchanger (running OEM top mount charge cooler with no plans to change), and after having the CSF heat exchanger installed, I noticed my car does not seem as responsive in throttle response, and seems like it takes a little bit longer for boost to build. I installed the CSF exchanger to help with the hot AZ summers. Charge pipes were checked as well as boost leak and none were found.

I read earlier in this thread someone mention pressure loss. Can this be a result of having a bigger core, and what I may be feeling, or does that not apply since the S55 is air to water? I know in air to air cars, larger cores improve ability to withstand heat soak, but also can impact responsiveness as there is more air to move through the larger core.

Any input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #105
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Bumping this thread back up, as it was a good read with some points i am interested in. I installed the CSF heat exchanger (running OEM top mount charge cooler with no plans to change), and after having the CSF heat exchanger installed, I noticed my car does not seem as responsive in throttle response, and seems like it takes a little bit longer for boost to build. I installed the CSF exchanger to help with the hot AZ summers. Charge pipes were checked as well as boost leak and none were found.

I read earlier in this thread someone mention pressure loss. Can this be a result of having a bigger core, and what I may be feeling, or does that not apply since the S55 is air to water? I know in air to air cars, larger cores improve ability to withstand heat soak, but also can impact responsiveness as there is more air to move through the larger core.

Any input is appreciated!
Either something is wrong that you didn’t detect, or it’s in your head. There is no charge-air flow through the front mount heat exchanger. If anything, boost should build faster, as cooler IAT’s = more dense air. If you upgraded to a larger AWIC core, or if The car had an air-air intercooler (like most cars) that you swapped for a larger core, you could experience some pressure loss.

Did you perform a pressure test? Did you inspect the hot-side charge pipe o-rings? Did you inspect the cold side charge pipe? There’s not a lot of things in between the turbo(s) and the throttle body. Are you comparing winter performance to summer performance? What map are you on?

All of this stuff plays a part.
      05-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #106
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
Either something is wrong that you didn’t detect, or it’s in your head. There is no charge-air flow through the front mount heat exchanger. If anything, boost should build faster, as cooler IAT’s = more dense air. If you upgraded to a larger AWIC core, or if The car had an air-air intercooler (like most cars) that you swapped for a larger core, you could experience some pressure loss.

Did you perform a pressure test? Did you inspect the hot-side charge pipe o-rings? Did you inspect the cold side charge pipe? There’s not a lot of things in between the turbo(s) and the throttle body. Are you comparing winter performance to summer performance? What map are you on?

All of this stuff plays a part.
+1

I have been running CSF cooler for years without any problems. If anything the car feels a lot more responsive in the summer

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #107
Terrance41
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

I would quicker change the heat exchanger before the stock intercooler. You are increasing the capacity and cooling. So you would have more cooler fluid going into the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #108
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
From my S5 days (water to air intercooler) the cores would leak because of pressure within the intercooler fluid loop, and not caused by pressure from boost produced from the 'charger...the option we had for aftermarket cores were a bar and plate design, and needless to say, the reduction in surface area over a traditional design resulted in higher intake air temps, R&D stopped subsequently.

The cause: we found that when the pump shuts itself off, the fluid would then push up against the tanks cap, the push caused pressure to build up and eventually collapse the cores).

The solution: I made an overflow line from the top of the tank, approx 3-4' in length, and capped the end of the tube. Once the pump turned back on, the "overflow" fluid would be sucked out of the tube back into the loop.

^^ kept the OE cores from leaking.
Hey Loe, been a while brotha. Hope all is well.

One thing tuners started doing was keeping IC pump running for a period of time to remove excess heat from IC by circulating coolant after shutdown and when you unlocked the car, coolant pump will start circulating for the same period or you started the car. Can tuners here do that with the M's?

That was helping big time even though my AMS HX kit did that for 45 seconds after shutdown automatically and I never had an issue with my charger IC coolers. After 112k miles motor blew but not the original coolers
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #109
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Hey Loe, been a while brotha. Hope all is well.

One thing tuners started doing was keeping IC pump running for a period of time to remove excess heat from IC by circulating coolant after shutdown and when you unlocked the car, coolant pump will start circulating for the same period or you started the car. Can tuners here do that with the M's?

That was helping big time even though my AMS HX kit did that for 45 seconds after shutdown automatically and I never had an issue with my charger IC coolers. After 112k miles motor blew but not the original coolers

I wouldn't doubt that tuners could do what you suggested. They would have to trigger it to shut off when the fluid temp would reach above and below a certain threshold when the engine is shut off.

The F8x cooling system is incredible, the intercooler itself is cool to the touch when the engine is running, which makes me think that the fluid loop temps rise when the engine is off, enough to build up pressure over time to cause that collapse, and subsequently leaks.

For those wondering what we are talking about, think of when water in a closed lid pot heats up, when pressure builds, it can raise up the lid. That pressure is what is likely causing the cores to breakdown over time.

So if the pump can keep running for lets say 5-7 mins post shut-off, that could help alleviate the issue, but it would still be dependent on engine bay temps because that would heat the fluids again, which is why I say have it triggered above and below a threshold temp.

With that being said, I'm not sure if there is a sensor that monitors the temperature of the fluids in the intercooler loop to do so? Woudl be very neat to find out!
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M750.00
      01-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #110
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

^^That's why I got in the habit of slowly cracking the IC cap after the car has been sitting in garage for >3 hours and you get the whoosh from excess pressure.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1