Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #45
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
I have a 2016 M3 model, NOT 2017, is yours a 2017?
Apple CarPlay was only introduced in MY17 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #46
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej
That's so cool,, I'll wait to see how everybody likes it.. My dealer found my car and shipped it to my dealership.. I wanted it, but it wasn't on the car..

I would like to see someone to make a poll on it,, to see how everybody responds ....

Do you like it and use it
Don't use it
Would've never ordered it for the $300

Or something like that...
Personally, I'm very glad I ordered it. The only reason I ever exit CarPlay mode is if I need to adjust settings in the iDrive, which is never.

As soon as I start the car, my iPhone connects immediately and Spotify starts playing automatically. If you are a Spotify user, the built-in app makes it easy to jump between your playlists and control your music.

I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.
After spending more time with my new car, I feel the need to correct my review from an earlier post in this thread. Initially CarPlay was great. However, the more I use it the buggier it gets. It used to connect and run flawlessly with my phone. Every time. Now, I'm finding that it will often randomly disconnect and freeze up. Many of my recent commutes have been made in silence because CarPlay froze up when I drove away and there was no way to unfreeze it.

It's also incredibly aggravating that it automatically reads your messages out loud. The apps won't run simultaneously, so if you are sitting in a parking lot and want to read messages on your phone while the car is streaming music, it will turn the music off and start reading your latest messages through the speaker. It attempts to mirror whatever you are doing on your phone on your CarPlay. I understand this is to align with the hands-free phone law, but the user experience is just poor. CarPlay has no settings to allow you to turn on or off specific features, so you are forced to use everything or nothing.

I wanted to love it, but it's turning into a disappointment. Hope future updates will improve the experience and solve for some of these flaws.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #47
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE1 View Post
After spending more time with my new car, I feel the need to correct my review from an earlier post in this thread. Initially CarPlay was great. However, the more I use it the buggier it gets. It used to connect and run flawlessly with my phone. Every time. Now, I'm finding that it will often randomly disconnect and freeze up. Many of my recent commutes have been made in silence because CarPlay froze up when I drove away and there was no way to unfreeze it.

It's also incredibly aggravating that it automatically reads your messages out loud. The apps won't run simultaneously, so if you are sitting in a parking lot and want to read messages on your phone while the car is streaming music, it will turn the music off and start reading your latest messages through the speaker. It attempts to mirror whatever you are doing on your phone on your CarPlay. I understand this is to align with the hands-free phone law, but the user experience is just poor. CarPlay has no settings to allow you to turn on or off specific features, so you are forced to use everything or nothing.

I wanted to love it, but it's turning into a disappointment. Hope future updates will improve the experience and solve for some of these flaws.
I've only had the car one day and although there are many things I like about it, there appear to be more that I don't like - specifically the text messages that you mention.

I feel like the back and forth is clumsy, and simple things like having the selector on phone favorites - you should be able to push down on the iDrive controller to navigate to the list, but NO, you must scroll past recents, contacts, and voicemail to get to the top of the list. Not too intuitive.

If this were the only integration on a car that didn't have nav, or phone integration, you'd live with it and say it's a good product. When BMW has brought the iDrive system miles above previous ones, it makes it seem out of place, and clumsy.

Maybe my mind will change the more I use it, but the first impression isn't great.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
rx7gslse
Recovering Mazda Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO ZCP F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrdrn View Post
My wife's X5 has ApplePlay and it sucks. As stated before you basically have to pick between the idrive universe and the apple universe. The only thing appleplay does better is text messages. Otherwise idrive is much better. Put it this way... after a week my wife gave up on appleplay. Needless to say I won't be spending $300 to download it from connecteddrive store. Maybe down the line they will integrate better but at this moment in time.
Carplay does texts better? I find it annoying.

With IDrive, I just select the preset and I can read the messages from the display.

With carplay I have to listen to them. When you get group messages it takes forever. "Text from John Doe, to Jane Doe, Steve Smith, Don Johnson and Barak Obama recieved on April eleventh at 1:02pm - 'Hi.' Would you like to reply?"

takes forever compared to just reading "Hi."
      04-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #49
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7gslse View Post
Carplay does texts better? I find it annoying.

With IDrive, I just select the preset and I can read the messages from the display.

With carplay I have to listen to them. When you get group messages it takes forever. "Text from John Doe, to Jane Doe, Steve Smith, Don Johnson and Barak Obama recieved on April eleventh at 1:02pm - 'Hi.' Would you like to reply?"

takes forever compared to just reading "Hi."

I think the only thing it does about texts better is notifies you that you have a text. I like how it instantaneously goes on the screen... but at the same time I wish I could customize an alert timing, or they could just announce it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #50
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Bump - is the conclusion that Apple Play is not worth it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #51
Bashar368
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 green

I ordered my 2017 Last June and I thought I was going to get CARPLAY but i missed it by a week

After driving my escalade with the carplay I am so Happy my M3 didn't come with that shit
      11-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #52
davidfield
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i F23 MPE mods4car module

The only reason that I can see to have apple car play is so tha you could use google maps for navigating as the maps are much more up to date than the BMW maps. I've been comlaining to BMW for the last 5 months about teh lack of changes when the map is updated. The have been numerous motorway changes and new roads in my area which have opened since before map 3 update was released. We have now had map4 reasease and teh changes are still not on. I have been told by BMW to complain to Here as this is where they get their maps from. It shouldn't be me complaining but BMW themselves. If tomTom can do it them why not BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #53
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I don't think GoogleMaps allowed on CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #54
Andy P
Motul USA
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d M sport

Does anyone know if we can get this installed in to a 2015 x5?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #55
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy P View Post
Does anyone know if we can get this installed in to a 2015 x5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Apple CarPlay was only introduced in MY17 vehicles.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1528963
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #56
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

IMHO, CarPlay is only worth it if you have touchscreen
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #57
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

My issue with car play is I get no notification of a new text. From what it seems that's not normal? I have no idea I got a text
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:46 AM   #58
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
My issue with car play is I get no notification of a new text. From what it seems that's not normal? I have no idea I got a text
I get banner notifications but no tone notifications. I emailed bimmer-tech regarding the lack of tone notifications, perhaps they can create a patch. It would be nice if the patch could have he exact text tone coming from the car speakers. I have CarPlay in other cars and they all have banner and tone notifications 🤣
Appreciate 1
omaralt761.00
      02-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #59
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
I was able to get text tone notifications coming out of my speakers. But it only works when you go to your maps and enable a destination. This works with Apple, google or waze maps. You can turn off the audible guidance and also switch the screen back to your music. Now when you get a text, the tone shall come out of your speakers as well as a visual banner on the screen.

Keep in mind, I have nbtevo_p, I haven't tried this out on older firmware versions 🤣
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #60
WillyBeamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i m sport BSM

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [9.00]
I want to install apple car play in my 18 m3. There is no option of purchasing it in the ConnectedDrive store. Is there a way I can get apple car play without going to the dealer???

Ig handle willybeamin305
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #61
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBeamin View Post
I want to install apple car play in my 18 m3. There is no option of purchasing it in the ConnectedDrive store. Is there a way I can get apple car play without going to the dealer???
Weird that I don't see it as an option in ConnectiveDrive either on my 2018.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #62
Karnidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
You can play Spotify without Apple CarPlay, via bluetooth audio. And if you have navigation, I don't really see why you need ACP.
      03-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #63
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnidge View Post
You can play Spotify without Apple CarPlay, via bluetooth audio. And if you have navigation, I don't really see why you need ACP.
It's mainly for the fullscreen & touchscreen features.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #64
dwz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBeamin View Post
Weird that I don't see it as an option in ConnectiveDrive either on my 2018.
Same thing for me...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #65
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwz View Post
Same thing for me...
PM me with VIN.
I will check whether it is possible or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #66
mgcyr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 GTS, ‘17 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnidge View Post
Waze. Just for Waze. It a great addition to ACP if you live in a city that has a lot of traffic.
Appreciate 0