R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #133
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
A slight discoloration isn't the end of the world as it's cosmetic but many of us are OCD about our M cars so we get it.

I'd Make a warranty claim to Brembo and or BMW.

Can u park the car for a few weeks? Pull the calipers off and ship them to Brembo, demand that they repaint or replace. CCBs are a near $9,000 option in the US so I wouldn't accept no for an answer. If Brembo won't budge then push the issue with BMW, or maybe start with BMW. Either Brembo , bmw corporate or the dealer needs to make an accommodation. These brakes just cost too much not to be backed up by the manufacturer.
I am afraid that warrantly laws in Belgium are not so consumer oriented as in other countries. I paid 7425 euro for the CCB's and just the new calipers are now almost half that cost, this is crazy.

I will keep posting updates on this thread once I have contacted a shop and if we can match the colour I will post which colour code we used.
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      03-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #134
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
The micro level cracking on the rotor surface as seen in the pic attached off a new M3 - completely normal correct? I'm curious if it presents similarly on all CCBs or if it varies where some appear to be smoother than others?
They leave the factory like that. It's part of the manufacturing process. BMW calls it "relaxed microstructure"
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      03-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #135
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
No track use on this car. I use it as a daily driver and about 80% is on the highway, lot of traffic jams so lot of stop and go. I think the calipers got in this way caused by a certain wheel cleaner fluid, it seems like the gold calipers are anodized and react badly to wheel cleaner fluids.

Attachment 1998397
That's from heat. The calipers are painted and not anodized so they are more vulnerable to color change from heat but the clear coat finish makes them typically more resistant to cleaners. Anodized is opposite. They don't discolor from even extreme heat but since there's not a protective coating it makes them more vulnerable to acidic cleaners.

CCB's generate more heat than steel, they're just more tolerant. That's why they have to be bigger than the steel counterparts.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #136
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Quote:
A slight discoloration isn't the end of the world as it's cosmetic but many of us are OCD about our M cars so we get it.

I'd Make a warranty claim to Brembo and or BMW.

Can u park the car for a few weeks? Pull the calipers off and ship them to Brembo, demand that they repaint or replace. CCBs are a near $9,000 option in the US so I wouldn't accept no for an answer. If Brembo won't budge then push the issue with BMW, or maybe start with BMW. Either Brembo , bmw corporate or the dealer needs to make an accommodation. These brakes just cost too much not to be backed up by the manufacturer.
I am afraid that warrantly laws in Belgium are not so consumer oriented as in other countries. I paid 7425 euro for the CCB's and just the new calipers are now almost half that cost, this is crazy.

I will keep posting updates on this thread once I have contacted a shop and if we can match the colour I will post which colour code we used.
Did your CCB come with the car or you installed it afterwards ?
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      03-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #137
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Did your CCB come with the car or you installed it afterwards ?
I ordered the car in August 2015 with the CCB’s.
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      10-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #138
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Bump for any and all updates!!

Any high mile original CCBs out there??

Embarrassingly to few miles on mine to report out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:26 AM   #139
M3god
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

I know this thread is old but just hit 40k miles on mines.. only thing annoying about these ccb is the rocks getting in the brake shield but besides that there ok
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      09-14-2021, 07:05 AM   #140
gmarshman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Metallic Grey

There is a factory fix for that, my dealer did it free of charge. They initially sold them with the wrong shield around the rotors.
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      09-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #141
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarshman View Post
There is a factory fix for that, my dealer did it free of charge. They initially sold them with the wrong shield around the rotors.
Do you know if that was rectified after a certain model year in production or does it apply to all cars all the way through the end of the F8x run?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #142
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm at 39k and had a few rock sessions but mine now squeak like shit. I need to get to the mountains and drive it hard to heat and clean the rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #143
Uzr133
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I finally got my Carboteq instrument and the first thing I wanted to do was to compare the findings/estimates from weighing the rotors (as previously posted) to the precise measurements as obtained from the Carboteq.

Note that these are the front Rotors which were originally removed based on the state of the "wear indicators". It also appears that the wear indicators might change appearance as they come off the track (from hot/heavy use) and then after running up some local neighborhood miles (general use). I'm wondering if we will actually pick up some more pad transfer material in the wear indicators as the rotors/pads see less stressful use. (IOW - My wear indicators seem to look better after the rotors were removed (after driving around town a bit) than when I was watching them at the track). Anyway, the Carboteq instrument is supposed to be the definitive measurement. At the price for the tool ($6500.00), it better be!

It should also be noted, for folks not familiar with the Carboteq or the info stamped on the rotors, that there are three pairs of measurement points stamped onto each rotor. Each of these measurement points contains an upper value (new), and a lower value (done). These Max/Min numbers are separated by a line which is used to align the laser on the Carboteq instrument for a precise measurement at each designated point. These min/max numbers and the Carboteq instrument are all calibrated to work together for precise measurements. The Carboteq can also be used without having to remove the rotors from the vehicle (although the ones I have on hand had already been removed and preserved)

The Carboteq instrument is very quick and easy to use and it should be quite precise.

*** The first table is the rotor usage as calculated/estimated by the weight of each rotor.

*** The second table is the rotor usage as calculated by the values as indicated by the Carbgoteq.
This is one of the few meaningful data-points I've seen on CCB rotor wear. Thanks!

Have you gathered any additional data-points using your Carboteq tool?

Can anyone else post or link to any other credible data-points regarding CCB rotor wear?
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      10-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #144
Uzr133
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
... Also, The wear indicators are NOT a particularly gtood method to determine rotor wear. In fact, the CCB docs state that the wear indicators are used to simply indicate when it is time to remove the rotor and actually weigh it. They are only visual wear indicators and NOT the final deciding factor. ...
I'd agree with that. The Mercedes/AMG technical docs (WIS) specify a process that uses the wear-indicator circles to evaluate CCB wear ... and it's rubbish! It involves using a clear overlay plastic tool that "masks out" squares and you're to photograph the setup then count the squares where "light points" are a percentage of the square's area and produce a number which then dictates whether the CCB rotor is to be replaced.

The problem is that there's no clear definition of what delineates a "light point" and the photo results vary widely based upon lighting, camera angle, whether the rotors have been properly burnished (bed-in), etc. The whole thing ends up being more subjective than deterministic ... which will result in actions that are either overly costly or dangerous for the customer.

For such a fundamental safety item, it's amazing that the only (seemingly) definitive wear-measurement tool that's not prohibitively labor intensive is the Carboteq tool.
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      12-27-2023, 07:11 PM   #145
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2023 year end - time flies.

Bump for any new data or updates.