Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Installing M Performance CF Splitters on Coated Car

During my recent cross country road trip I ever so lightly scuffed my passenger splitter, so, I'm planning to go for the M Performance CF Splitters. I'm wondering if they can be installed on a ceramic coated car. My guy that coated it said polishing to bring it down and then installing...I thought that may be overkill. Google search was mixed with no specific reference but with many saying they've had success installing 3M taped spoilers to coated cars and others saying they haven't. Search here had limited results.

Unlike the rear spoiler the drag on these I'd think would only work to push them on the car. Also, I assume BMW's Betalink is far stronger than 3M tape, so would the BMW procedure using Betalink mean they adhere better? Would Betalink adversely react to the coating?

What is the prevailing view?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

polish first to remove the coating, no sense in risking it not sticking
Appreciate 0