BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
JamesF80m3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Body shop cant match individual color

My F80 front bumper was swiped and now needs to be re painted, I dropped it off to my body shop and the owner told me hes having a hard time finding the formula to make the color. He said BMW has not released it yet. Does anyone have any tips?

The color is Grigio Telesto
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I would take it to a BMW collision center to ensure you get a perfect match. You're gonna pay an arm and a leg, but it'll be factory perfect when they're done. My Frozen Blue CS is in for a bumper repaint now, and based on the estimate.... oof.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
JamesF80m3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by depaulhifi View Post
I would take it to a BMW collision center to ensure you get a perfect match. You're gonna pay an arm and a leg, but it'll be factory perfect when they're done. My Frozen Blue CS is in for a bumper repaint now, and based on the estimate.... oof.
Luckily the guy who hit me his insurance is paying.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

It's a Lamborghini color.
      09-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by depaulhifi View Post
Depends on which one. Some are great. I know 1 that is fantastic. But plenty of posts about some that are not so great. Some even horrible. Better know which to go to.

Better to ask on regional threads.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      09-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
SCKOMS
SCKOMS
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible

i tried to order touch up paint for a small chip and was told the same....can't find the formula for Fashion Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Depends on which one. Some are great. I know 1 that is fantastic. But plenty of posts about some that are not so great. Some even horrible. Better know which to go to.

Correct, just going to a BMW collision center will not ensure anything in terms of quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

You need a new body shop. Any body shop worth their salt can make any color that exists via paint mixing systems. Or they can source it from a supplier that mixes it based on paint codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Correct, just going to a BMW collision center will not ensure anything in terms of quality.
Give a monkey proper paints and supplies. Doesn't mean it's going to paint a Picasso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
You need a new body shop. Any body shop worth their salt can make any color that exists via paint mixing systems. Or they can source it from a supplier that mixes it based on paint codes.
And probably means it will take blending with other body parts. And I'd rather not have other parts blended. Much easier for a good eye to catch.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #10
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashir View Post
That's fair, and I'm sure there are some yolo BMW collision centers out there, but I think the customer would have more leverage with a BMW shop vs. a non-BMW shop.

In my case, the manager said there's only one guy in the shop that he'll let touch my car, and he won't give it back until its 100% factory perfect, which is exactly what I asked for. And when I do get it back, its going straight to the PPF shop like I should have done on delivery day. Very expensive lesson learned, but I knew what I was getting into when I went with Frozen Blue and I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it again.

BRB calling my congressman about passing legislation imposing stricter penalties for being a garbage can while drunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
honestly this. if it was a bmw specific color i could maybe understand, but it's just laziness if he can't do it. this isn't a bmw specific color and it's rare, but not the rarest color ever either since it's used with other manufacturers. i would be very skeptical of the work of "your bodyshop".
Appreciate 0