Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #111
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Thanks Mike, figured you'd be open to sharing your experience and potentially save other forum members from having to figure out how much that same mistake might cost them.

Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Boy can I.

Short version. Had an F30 with 120k on the clock. Wanted something different. Drove the Stinger - drives excellent. Powerful, well balanced, and practical.

Bought one. 3 weeks later, I sold it. Which isn't my style because I always do my research.

Issues? Warped rotors. Stalling. Paint peeling off the trunk. A radio that wouldn't work at random times. This is all within 3 weeks.

Kia corporate was about as lousy as you'd expect, and the dealer network was even worse. To cut the rotors, not replace them, would have taken 3 visits. And they don't do loaners.

Want more info?
https://mikedambrosio.kinja.com/i-bo...-it-1829711640

I went back into an F30, 335 this time. I love it and I'm glad to be back at BMW.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #112
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Dude you and your EVs
What can I say? I live in NorCal now and that carpool lane sticker is a meaningful quality of life improvement.

At least I didn't get a Stinger GT right
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #113
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Dude you and your EVs
What can I say? I live in NorCal now and that carpool lane sticker is a meaningful quality of life improvement.

At least I didn't get a Stinger GT right
I'm just messing with you.

True very true. That thing is a mess
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #114
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Good effort on their behalf. It's a far cry from the original Kias that truly were penalty boxes to ride in.

As an aside, there have been stories around the forums of needing to lemon 335 for various reasons, so bmw isn't immune to issues either.

The Porsche and AMG owned by friends and family have had many small things as well. Except in those cases, brand loyalty and big HP and loaner cars are around to help smooth the experience.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that no matter what the car is there is a chance for issues, so you might as well get whatever you like regardless of brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #115
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

Good effort on their behalf. It's a far cry from the original Kias that truly were penalty boxes to ride in.

As an aside, there have been stories around the forums of needing to lemon 335 for various reasons, so bmw isn't immune to issues either.

The Porsche and AMG owned by friends and family have had many small things as well. Except in those cases, brand loyalty and big HP and loaner cars are around to help smooth the experience.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that no matter what the car is there is a chance for issues, so you might as well get whatever you like regardless of brand.
I agree. All manufacturers can have issues from time to time.

The story above is ridiculous though especially when someone spent 50k on a car and it's brand spanking new.

Knock on wood most of the BMWs we've had over the years have been pretty rock solid. The most problematic one that sticks out is my 2011 335is with N54. Loved it but it wasn't without its issues.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      11-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #116
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I agree. All manufacturers can have issues from time to time.

The story above is ridiculous though especially when someone spent 50k on a car and it's brand spanking new.

Knock on wood most of the BMWs we've had over the years have been pretty rock solid. The most problematic one that sticks out is my 2011 335is with N54. Loved it but it wasn't without its issues.
My z435 was in the shop 18 times in 36 months. I got to know the bmw line up very well thanks to that car.

$50k for a stinger is sticker. Ouch.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      11-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #117
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
No - other owners complained of similar issues. If you got a yellow one, you were treated to an entire repaint of your whole car. Then they'd mess that up.

There were also paint drips in the trunk that suggested rushed production. And while Brembo made the calipers, Kia made the rotors, and simply sitting to long could cause them to warp.

We all complain when BMW messes up, and rightly so - hell, my E92 is STILL waiting for a wiring harness fix from NA. But the way I'm treated and how the cars are built...no comparison.
Wow, I didn't think it was that bad.

One of my biggest pet peeves with car searching is dealership BS. I immediately write off any dealership that even tries to pull none sense on me. I know my cars, I don't need a sales pitch. Those who are honest with me are the ones that tend to get my business, the others can just go off themselves.
minn1913970.00
ra2289302.00
      11-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #118
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
No - other owners complained of similar issues. If you got a yellow one, you were treated to an entire repaint of your whole car. Then they'd mess that up.

There were also paint drips in the trunk that suggested rushed production. And while Brembo made the calipers, Kia made the rotors, and simply sitting to long could cause them to warp.

We all complain when BMW messes up, and rightly so - hell, my E92 is STILL waiting for a wiring harness fix from NA. But the way I'm treated and how the cars are built...no comparison.
Wow, I didn't think it was that bad.

One of my biggest pet peeves with car searching is dealership BS. I immediately write off any dealership that even tries to pull none sense on me. I know my cars, I don't need a sales pitch. Those who are honest with me are the ones that tend to get my business, the others can just go off themselves.
I blame no one but myself, but I figured that I could get a good deal on the car and not worry about Kia dealers again.

4 trips to 4 dealers just to buy one should have been my first clue. And who's looking for paint peeling on a new car?

Gaze in horror!
Attached Images

minn1913970.00
      11-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #119
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

[QUOTE=SoManyBlueCars;23933911]
Quote:
I blame no one but myself, but I figured that I could get a good deal on the car and not worry about Kia dealers again.

4 trips to 4 dealers just to buy one should have been my first clue. And who's looking for paint peeling on a new car?

Gaze in horror!
Man that's terrible. Really appreciate the first hand info. from you though. Good food for thought and helpful to others I'm sure.

I still think it's cool you tried it out, although that's easy for my to say not having to go through all the BS that ensued.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #120
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Gaze in horror!
Holy sheet and I thought I had quality problems with my GT350.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #121
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Agreed for the most part, but after having two GT350s become big headaches for me. I have to admit, it is nice if you end up spending a lot of time at a dealership and in a loaner car. BMW dealers (or Porsche, Audi, MB etc) are obviously more up to date and they have much nicer loaners than a base Fiesta/Focus. Most Ford/domestic dealerships are very old and run down (at least in MN) and in need of some serious facelifts. That isn’t everything to me, but as I get older and experienced these problems more with cars it is becoming more so. I hate to admit it, but it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #122
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Agreed for the most part, but after having two GT350s become big headaches for me. I have to admit, it is nice if you end up spending a lot of time at a dealership and in a loaner car. BMW dealers (or Porsche, Audi, MB etc) are obviously more up to date and they have much nicer loaners than a base Fiesta/Focus. Most Ford/domestic dealerships are very old and run down (at least in MN) and in need of some serious facelifts. That isn’t everything to me, but as I get older and experienced these problems more with cars it is becoming more so. I hate to admit it, but it is.
yes. Nice lounge and nice loaners and good service people take the sting out of these issues.

It also helps if the car is a toy that isn't a daily driver.

For a four doors car like Stinger GT that is almost certainly a daily driver it's a tough situation.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00