ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
andTWINS
Rep
Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7

RX-7 FD Owner Thinking of Coming Back to BMW

Hello,

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I wanted to hear some ownership experiences from people who track their M3/4's as well as just daily them, especially those of you that have higher miles. Currently, I daily an 08 Civic and have an FD as a fun project car. Well, it used to be fun. I have undertaken a huge project on it, but don't have the time I used to to work on it, so it is almost a burden at this point. Add to the fact that with the amount of mods it now has and how much I've spent on them, I'll be scared to death to push it too much, because we all know how reliable rotary's are .

Long story short, I had a modded 07 335i with the N54 a few years back, and though very fun, wasn't exactly reliable either. In fairness, most of the issues were either electrical, or because I would beat on it pretty hard (engine was fine, it was the auto, solenoids, fuel pump, etc.). From what I can tell, it appears that BMW has learned some lessons and the cars seem to hold up better. If the FD keeps appreciating and I can sell it for what I think I can, and sell the Civic, I would hopefully be looking at a used M3 or M4.

Lastly, if I did make the jump, I would keep it pretty stock for a while aside from maybe brake fluid, pads, and tires for the track. Any other (mild) recommendations? Especially for cooling.

Thanks, and here's some pics of the FD:
Attached Images

09-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Well to BMW's credit, 2007 335i's was the first year and was pretty bad for reliability. They got better through the years.

Never tracked mine, but I definitely don't think cooling is ever an issue. Keeping it in Sport+ employs a few other heat exchangers. I have put it in that setting and watched the temp gauge drop driving the exact same way.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
andTWINS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Well to BMW's credit, 2007 335i's was the first year and was pretty bad for reliability. They got better through the years.

Never tracked mine, but I definitely don't think cooling is ever an issue. Keeping it in Sport+ employs a few other heat exchangers. I have put it in that setting and watched the temp gauge drop driving the exact same way.
Thanks for the reply! And that is great to hear about the cooling aspect. Especially in a boosted car.

Last edited by andTWINS; 09-26-2018 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

swap an LS7 V8 into the FD and call it done

F80 cooling system is BOSS, no issues

Just my $0.02, make your FD reliable and go for it. Old school goodness
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

How would comparing the experience with one of the best sports cars ever made to a modern BMW be relevant in any way? I'm curious as to what conclusions you're looking to draw from any information shared.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
How would comparing the experience with one of the best sports cars ever made to a modern BMW be relevant in any way? I'm curious as to what conclusions you're looking to draw from any information shared.
Seems like OP wants to consolidate his daily driver and fun car into 1 car, and that's the classic reason many consider m3

I am somewhat with you, Fc4, which is why I suggested LS swap into FD to add reliability.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
andTWINS
Rep

While an LS would certainly be more reliable, I'd just get a a C5Z instead. Gotta keep the rotary in the RX! And yes, consolidation would be a primary concern.
      09-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Yes the Rx-7 is what it is because of the engine. Don't throw that off with a LS. There were so many brought into this country, lets keep them original.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
swap an LS7 V8 into the FD and call it done

F80 cooling system is BOSS, no issues

Just my $0.02, make your FD reliable and go for it. Old school goodness
Lol.. +1 here. Beautiful, timeless FD styling plus a huge motor that's barely any heavier than a 13Bt....and more powerful, torquey, fuel efficient, oil efficient, reliable, sounds better, and cheaper to mod/maintain? Sign me up.

But then, I want a 2J S2000 lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
From a reliability POV, they can be very reliable. In my experience, they die because of crap owners (poor maintenance), and crap tuners (including owners messing with things they don't understand).
I wish that were true that if you spend $$$ on maintenance, nothing unexpected happens to old sports cars.

Lately, I've found that you spend the $$ and time on maintenance, and stuff still breaks from the tough combo of age and power, and you spend even MORE $$ and money, and you start thinking about babying it to avoid the situation...not fun.

Basically, you keep any old sports around because you're emotionally attached and it's fun. OP isn't having fun anymore, so it's time to sell.

That's the approach I take with my own stuff anyway...
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

I'm currently shopping for a FD RX7 RHD, not selling my M4 though. Any tips you'd like to share on what model years to avoid and what to look out for? I'm going through a respected dealer and not buying private party.

M4 is amazing, the F8x series is. Very reliable, people will whine about the crank hub but it's a highly isolated issue. These cars are beasts, bulletproof
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
andTWINS
Rep

Quote:
I wish that were true that if you spend $$$ on maintenance, nothing unexpected happens to old sports cars.

Lately, I've found that you spend the $$ and time on maintenance, and stuff still breaks from the tough combo of age and power, and you spend even MORE $$ and money, and you start thinking about babying it to avoid the situation...not fun.

Basically, you keep any old sports around because you're emotionally attached and it's fun. OP isn't having fun anymore, so it's time to sell.

This is exactly how I feel!
      09-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
andTWINS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
I'm currently shopping for a FD RX7 RHD, not selling my M4 though. Any tips you'd like to share on what model years to avoid and what to look out for? I'm going through a respected dealer and not buying private party.

M4 is amazing, the F8x series is. Very reliable, people will whine about the crank hub but it's a highly isolated issue. These cars are beasts, bulletproof
Are you in the states? If so, what company are you importing through? I'd honestly stick with LHD if you're in the states. As for particular models to avoid, the differences between model years and trims are minuscule, especially since you'll probably want to upgrade some of the basics depending on what's been done to the car. Absolutely upgrade the cooling system. I'm a little more extreme than most in that I've deleted as much as possible to remove as many failure points while also being able to get to things in the engine bay and diagnose problems much easier. Hence, no more A/C and heat, power steering, anything emissions related, abs, radio, air bag, etc. Also ditched the twins and mechanical water pump system for an electric one.

It's one of the best driver's cars out there, but with the age comes more problems. That and the lack of respectable shops in the community that truly know what they are doing when something inevitably goes wrong. If you end up buying one and are in the states, I can absolutely help point you in the right direction as far as shops/vendors/engine builders. I've found that most of the shops and many people in the community are a bigger problem than the cars/engines themselves.
      09-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andTWINS View Post
Are you in the states? If so, what company are you importing through? I'd honestly stick with LHD if you're in the states. As for particular models to avoid, the differences between model years and trims are minuscule, especially since you'll probably want to upgrade some of the basics depending on what's been done to the car. Absolutely upgrade the cooling system. I'm a little more extreme than most in that I've deleted as much as possible to remove as many failure points while also being able to get to things in the engine bay and diagnose problems much easier. Hence, no more A/C and heat, power steering, anything emissions related, abs, radio, air bag, etc. Also ditched the twins and mechanical water pump system for an electric one.

It's one of the best driver's cars out there, but with the age comes more problems. That and the lack of respectable shops in the community that truly know what they are doing when something inevitably goes wrong. If you end up buying one and are in the states, I can absolutely help point you in the right direction as far as shops/vendors/engine builders. I've found that most of the shops and many people in the community are a bigger problem than the cars/engines themselves.
Wow, thanks for the reply! I've been eyeing the 93. Any reason as to why I should avoid the RHD and go LHD?

The dealer is about 2 hours north of me in Richmond, Driver Motorsports. Looking to stay under 25k but more in the 17-21 range

Yeah there are 1-2 shops around me that I trust and do have experience with the vehicle platform so that puts me at ease
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andTWINS View Post
It's one of the best driver's cars out there, but with the age comes more problems. That and the lack of respectable shops in the community that truly know what they are doing when something inevitably goes wrong.
+1, that's pretty much any car you mod that's old.

I think you've answered your question about moving on.

Just my $0.02, cheap lease an f30 and get someone else's prepped c5z for cheap.

F80 really is amazing but it's designed as a compromise car that you can daily and track. Just separate the roles of the cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:

This is so freaking well said.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
+1, that's pretty much any car you mod that's old.

I think you've answered your question about moving on.

Just my $0.02, cheap lease an f30 and get someone else's prepped c5z for cheap.

F80 really is amazing but it's designed as a compromise car that you can daily and track. Just separate the roles of the cars.
Damn it your posts are making too much sense

An F30 is a great car that the OP would enjoy as a daily (torquey, comfy, plus can still offer a bit of the RX7 turbo driving experience [power band, etc]), C5Z is very cheap to get into now and very fun / rewarding when driven hard.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
Damn it your posts are making too much sense

An F30 is a great car that the OP would enjoy as a daily (torquey, comfy, plus can still offer a bit of the RX7 turbo driving experience [power band, etc]), C5Z is very cheap to get into now and very fun / rewarding when driven hard.
Thanks man, I'm glad it's helpful to someone.

They are unfortunately words born from experience of a wallet getting hit up for p-car tax on maintenance and repair parts
Appreciate 0