Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

PPF install & Ceramic coating- Clear bra or Matte finish?

Hi have an Alpine White M4 vert. and planning to the PPF done on the car as I live in the Pothole State of New Jersey and road debris everywhere.. what is the difference between the clear bra and matte finish besides the dull finish of the matte film? would the matte film help block radar?

As far as ceramic coating is concerned, why get ceramic coating on top of the PPF when the plastic is already shiny (clear bra) and the car would be prepped prior to install of the ppf?

What do you recommend? Clear or Matte finish?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

on white, gloss looks better

coating PPF adds more gloss and slickness, and keeps the film easy to clean
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      08-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Hi have an Alpine White M4 vert. and planning to the PPF done on the car as I live in the Pothole State of New Jersey and road debris everywhere.. what is the difference between the clear bra and matte finish besides the dull finish of the matte film? would the matte film help block radar?

As far as ceramic coating is concerned, why get ceramic coating on top of the PPF when the plastic is already shiny (clear bra) and the car would be prepped prior to install of the ppf?

If you apply the matte PPF to your car you will get a car that looks matte. Meaning you won't have a shiny car so regular PPF is what you need. Unless you want the Matte look.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      08-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

I would recommend gloss for AW. The matte finish requires more attention and care. The stealth would be slightly more complex as every single surface needs to be covered so that means the car needs to be taken apart -- the gloss you can get away with cutting around things and leaving like a .05 mm gap or something.

The ceramic coating will protect the PPF as the PPF still needs maintenance from droppings, bugs, acidic things. It's not required. Some people put ceramic coating underneath before the PPF.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      08-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

thank you for all the replies..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

what is the prep work done b PPF installers prior to applying on the vehicle? I'm thinking for getting just the PPF for the front of the car and no ceramic coating..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

standard is just wash and clay.

add-ons would be polishing and paint correction
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
what is the prep work done b PPF installers prior to applying on the vehicle? I'm thinking for getting just the PPF for the front of the car and no ceramic coating..
My installer told me it's harder to apply PPF on a ceramic coated car because it's slicker.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0