R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #23
Myfirstbmwinsertcodehere
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I would stick with the Civic, and whenever you get the itch borrow the 435i from your dad, and save for an M3.

Have you driven an M3? If not please do, maybe the 435i has more than enough power for you. Having an M3 loaded with the same features won't be cheap. Also, some actually prefer the exhaust note on the 435i (I like both but prefer the unique aggressiveness of the F8x M exhaust note)
I would definitely do the Dinan upgrades if I get the 435, it seems a bit quiet for me, coming from the 330ci with the ZHP sound. I like Dinan because it is stronger, but not overly loud to the point that you lose class in the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Myfirstbmwinsertcodehere
Rep

Can anyone comment on the experience -maintenance wise- for a used M3 that has 4-5+ years?

The E92s, considering how old they are, do they spend a lot of time in the shop? Do some of their electronics stop working frequently with age?

I remember that the 330ci in its 10 year lifespan, cost like 10k with replacing tires, electronics, A/C, lighting etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Myfirstbmwinsertcodehere
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I would stick with the Civic, and whenever you get the itch borrow the 435i from your dad, and save for an M3.

Have you driven an M3? If not please do, maybe the 435i has more than enough power for you. Having an M3 loaded with the same features won't be cheap. Also, some actually prefer the exhaust note on the 435i (I like both but prefer the unique aggressiveness of the F8x M exhaust note)
I was going to this month, but apparently the new M3s and M4s are kind of rare in dealerships. I think they are focusing A LOT on importing cheaper BMW models, such as the 328i, they make a lot more money that way.

But I will definitely be looking to test drive one, can't wait! I will post my experience on how it feels vs a 435i.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #26
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirstbmwinsertcodehere View Post
Can anyone comment on the experience -maintenance wise- for a used M3 that has 4-5+ years?

The E92s, considering how old they are, do they spend a lot of time in the shop? Do some of their electronics stop working frequently with age?

I remember that the 330ci in its 10 year lifespan, cost like 10k with replacing tires, electronics, A/C, lighting etc.
This isn't exactly what you're looking for... but my E46 M3 cost me an absolutely unbelievable amount of money, to the point where I don't think I could bring myself to own another high-milage german car.

IMO, if you have a high-milage german car, I would have $5k ready to use for a car repair at all times. I concede the odds are that you're not going to have to use it, but when I was faced with a $6k repair bill for a car that lost way more than $6k in value because it was broken... it sucked. It sucked especially hard when another $2k bill came in 6 months (I know, rare). It's really frustrating to spend that kind of money just to get back to square one.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #27
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
6k a month, in one year is 72k, so if my job left me 115k, that's a surplus annually of 43,000 for everything else. Which is pretty nice, if simply starting out.
You are forgetting about $30K in taxes. A good rule of thumb for saving for retirement is 20% of gross (to maintain same standard of living). You need to pay back loans, which the minimum payments will be ~$1K a month.

$115K
-$30K for taxes
-$23K for savings (for both Roth IRA and 401K)
-$12K for loans
=$50K or roughly $4.2K a month.

That's not saving for a house, or for an emergency fund. You probably want to go on vacation once or twice a year. I know you're not leaning in this direction, but could you drop $800 a month on a 2016 M3 lease and still be "responsible"? Sure. You'll probably have to avoid eating out, drinking scotch on the regular, and getting a new iPhone every year (or whatever).

I'm not one of those dicks that loves to go around telling people to buy a 12 year old Corolla because that's the only responsible thing to do. I bought an M3 at 29, a year after having a kid, because it was important to me. Just make sure your numbers are tight, no matter what you do. Believe me, worrying about money fucking sucks.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Hello again guys, I'm here just clear up a few things:

http://www.payscale.com/college-sala...ls-by-type/mba

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...hool-graduates

http://poetsandquants.com/2015/07/07...-went-to-work/

Starting salaries among all sources: 110-135k

As for my previous comment on "huge salary" I meant that 115k is pretty much -huge- (for me) in PR, where living expenses and pretty much everything else is cheaper than in the US, except for cars.

In PR, you can get a luxurious apartment with ocean view/beach access for less than 2.5k a month.

If you separate, let's say 1.5k a month for a car, including insurance, food and other immediate expenses, let's say it totals to 5-6k monthly.

6k a month, in one year is 72k, so if my job left me 115k, that's a surplus annually of 43,000 for everything else. Which is pretty nice, if simply starting out.
I don't think anyone is doubting that you will get that salary, but rather we are pointing out the fact that 115k is not as much money as you think. Like the above poster said, you forgot about the taxes, which will definitely be more than 30k. When I was single and making 120k a year, I was paying roughly 38% in taxes, so that's around 45k. You would want to contribute the maximum amount to 401k for retirement, which would be $17,500. Let's say you rent a 1-bedroom apartment and the rent is 1k/month, so 12k yearly. Also, you might want to save some month for down payment on a house, so let's say 15k a year. After these big ticket items all you have left is

120k - 45k - 12k - 17.5k - 15k = 30.5k

Out of that, you have to pay for gas ($350/mon), food ($350/mon), vacation travel (let's say ONLY 1.5k/yr, which is very conservative; basically no international travel), personal leisure + unexpected circumstances (let's say you are very frugal - $200/mon). On top of that you have student loans; I don't know how much that is so I will assume it's only $300/mon. Adding all these up.

$350 * 12 + $350 * 12 + $1,500 + $200 * 12 + $300 * 12 = $15,300

So what you have left is $30,500 - $15,300 = $15,200 or $1,266/mon

So $1,266/month is what you have left for your car. Can you buy and maintain a M3 with that money, sure. But you won't have ANY money left afterwards, and for a 25-year-old young person, you may likely soon regret buying this car like this because you will be forced to give up many other social activities that someone at your age should be enjoying with. My suggestion: look for a car that will not cost you more than $500/mon including insurance and maintenance, and leave the rest of the $750 for other fun stuff (go to Thailand with friends and party/drink, etc.). Those fun events will gradually go away as you age and start thinking about having a family, and by that time, your salary will go up and you can come back and have more enjoyment in a M3 and not feeling reluctant to give up other things in life.
      10-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Didn't realize OP was discussing a hypothetical salary.

Lock down the job first.....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #30
Myfirstbmwinsertcodehere
Rep

Salary, hypothetical or not, does not affect that much of the situation.

It is about true, daily driving value, which is somewhat subjective, which is why it is so useful to get several opinions.

Let's be honest here.

The speed of a Dinan (CAI, FF Exhaust and Stage 2 Tuner) 435i (0-60 4.3s?) is more than you will probably EVER need in Puerto Rico, unless tracking it often, and even then, it should be properly loud, fun and quick.

And I could get it in great conditions, at like I don't know, 70,000 miles for like 20k from my father, when he goes to upgrade the M4.

This -affordable- 435, like someone said, "500~" a month (the loan payment from my dad plus a reserve stash for the mechanic) is the CURRENT situation sweet spot.

And I'm sure, coming from a friggin Civic, living with this modded 435i will leave me happy for the 3+ year wait for my first ///M car!

Thanks again everyone! I'll post pics of the 435i once I add the Dinan parts!!!

...and of course, I'll post my before and after experience.

By any chance, has anyone here ever tried a 335/435/235 with Dinan parts? (any of the ones mentioned before).

Would love to hear your impressions!
Appreciate 0