EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: Did Alfa Romeo copy the BMW M3 when styling the Giulia QV?
Yes 8 27.59%
No 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

07-01-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
joeykayo
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White F80 M3 MT

Question Did Alfa Romeo copy the BMW M3 when styling the Giulia QV?

I personally do.

I made a little a little comparison of the side profile:

I was just Googling to see if anyone else noticed the similarities. To my surprise, I found a bunch of people in the comments saying how much better the styling was on the Alfa Romeo and that it was crazy to even compare it to a BMW.

The whole time, I was thinking...they straight up copied the side profile of the F80 M3!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Profile-wise, yes. Why wouldn't they? The F80 exhibits both aggressiveness and grace, unmatched by any 4-door in production.

There are subtle differences that Alfa needed to incorporate so they wouldn't be accused of F80 worship, if they haven't been so accused already.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Lol you can overlay pretty much every sedan in this segment, and they'll all look similar on side profile due to similar wheel base. Go put c63 sedan on it, bet it will be similar. Did they all copy m3? Oh please.. Get off of your high horses.. Sure m3 has been benchmark for awhile, but giulia and c63 all have enough differences to even say they "copied".
And since alfa originally started performance sedan category back in the past, you could even argue bmw copied alfa from the get go. See how that would be a bad argument?
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Lol you can overlay pretty much every sedan in this segment, and they'll all look similar on side profile due to similar wheel base. Go put c63 sedan on it, bet it will be similar. Did they all copy m3? Oh please.. Get off of your high horses.. Sure m3 has been benchmark for awhile, but giulia and c63 all have enough differences to even say they "copied".
And since alfa originally started performance sedan category back in the past, you could even argue bmw copied alfa from the get go. See how that would be a bad argument?
+1 They are both 4 door sedans. There is only so much you can do to differentiate them. Both very good looking IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Overlay the C63 with its saggy ass. I bet you see a difference.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      07-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Overlay the C63 with its saggy ass. I bet you see a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

We’re not talking about esthetics only...
they adopted the same wheelbase,
same width,
same height,
same A-B-C-pillar location,
door handles practically at the same locations.

As they almost had no choice, they clearly didn’t start from a clean sheet and I won't be surprised to see even more similarities. It's already too much of a coincidence IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
joeykayo
Rep

Quote:
C63 AMG overlayed on F80 M3

C63 AMG Sedan

F80 M3

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Overlayed on F80 M3

Here you go. The M3 and C63 are very easy to differentiate.

What high horse are you talking about? Just stating that the Alfa Romeo looks a lot like the F80 M3. I didn't design either of them so it doesn't matter to me personally.

Last edited by joeykayo; 07-01-2016 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: added images of the Alfa Romeo and descriptions
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Cars look similar sure...but "copy", No. Obviously you're hard up about this so your mind is made up. It's your opinion, what do you care what we think. Overwhelming majority says no.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Cars look similar sure...but "copy", No. Obviously you're hard up about this so your mind is made up. It's your opinion, what do you care what we think. Overwhelming majority says no.
To be fair, since your mind isn't made up already... did you look at the numbers? I'm pretty positive they used the same outlines because the cars don't differ more than a millimeter at key areas like wheelbase, width, height, ... that can't be a coincidence. If the M3 was the target, it's probably easier to start with the same base anyways, meanwhile focusing on differentiating and improving upon other areas like the engine, aerodynamics, transmission, dampers, and so on.

They try to kill the M3 on substance, but I think they will be beaten on experience, all the little things that make a difference. Very close call.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalunit View Post
To be fair, since your mind isn't made up already... did you look at the numbers? I'm pretty positive they used the same outlines because the cars don't differ more than a millimeter at key areas like wheelbase, width, height, ... that can't be a coincidence. If the M3 was the target, it's probably easier to start with the same base anyways, meanwhile focusing on differentiating and improving upon other areas like the engine, aerodynamics, transmission, dampers, and so on.

They try to kill the M3 on substance, but I think they will be beaten on experience, all the little things that make a difference. Very close call.
They definitely benchmarked the M3. They even announced it directly during the unveiling, it is clearly the target they choose to build from. It is not a new concept that an auto maker uses the same blueprint formula as it's rival.

I feel though that outside of dimensions and proportions. The car is pure Italian and pure Alfa. It's design is quite unique and it's engineering is also different. The interior is nothing like a BMW. I just don't see any similarity at all except in size and dimensions.

Alfa knows how to make performance cars they just haven't in a long time at this new found level AMG, Cadillac's V division or M, have been playing in.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Profile-wise, yes. Why wouldn't they? The F80 exhibits both aggressiveness and grace, unmatched by any 4-door in production.

There are subtle differences that Alfa needed to incorporate so they wouldn't be accused of F80 worship, if they haven't been so accused already.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #13
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykayo View Post
C63 AMG overlayed on F80 M3

C63 AMG Sedan

F80 M3

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Overlayed on F80 M3

Here you go. The M3 and C63 are very easy to differentiate.

What high horse are you talking about? Just stating that the Alfa Romeo looks a lot like the F80 M3. I didn't design either of them so it doesn't matter to me personally.
All im trying to say is , not one person outside of bmw fanboy circle, will look at giulia and say "oh wow that looks so much like the bmw 3 series".
Sharing same wheelbase and certain exterior dimensions dont make two vehicles "look alike".
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #14
joeykayo
Rep

Quote:
All im trying to say is , not one person outside of bmw fanboy circle, will look at giulia and say "oh wow that looks so much like the bmw 3 series".
Sharing same wheelbase and certain exterior dimensions dont make two vehicles "look alike".
You're probably right! All good. Just thought it would be interesting to compare. I probably am paying more attention than the average person.

I love the way my F80 looks and I'm sure that people who bought the Giulia QV love the way their car looks.

I just thought that they looked pretty similar considering their goal was to out shine the M3, I feel like they could have done a better job differentiating themselves. The one thing that really looks out of place to me is the 4 leaf clover on the front fender. Looks weird on a red car especially.

Last edited by joeykayo; 07-02-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:14 AM   #15
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I don't understand you guy's. Even the windshield & rear windows have the same placement and angle. Doors are the same height, shoulder line has the same angle...

Apart from some badge engineered cars, I never have seen such a carbon copy of two cars outer dimensions my whole life! Good luck finding another example of this.

I've owned 4 (!) Alfa Romeo's in the past and the M4 is actually my first BMW. It wasn't an easy decision to make knowing anytime soon Alfa would deliver the Giulia (but will all the delays...). I'm happy with the M4, but I'm not blind either. If anything, this doesn't feel like a BMW forum at all, more like an Alfa Romeo forum where everyone is in denial.

Appreciate 0