Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #45
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
For those interested, here are some pics of the puller that's required if you ever want to remove the spline lock once it's installed:
Price please?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #46
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Shoot us an email or PM for pricing; per forum rules we can't post prices here.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #47
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
estimated number of hours a shop will charge to install it?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #48
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Tom @ EAS wrote up a nice article outlining how they do it, we have a flat rate if done at VTT which I can share with you via PM/etc, but in general we don't quote expected hours for other shops since it can vary so wildly depending on how they approach/expertise/familiarity/etc.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:15 AM   #49
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

any chance of an Arizona approved installer?
      10-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #50
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom @ EAS wrote up a nice article outlining how they do it, we have a flat rate if done at VTT which I can share with you via PM/etc, but in general we don't quote expected hours for other shops since it can vary so wildly depending on how they approach/expertise/familiarity/etc.

Chris
We have an overview of of the VTT Splinelock install to see what's involved:

▀▄ eas | VTT "SplineLock" CrankHub Installation Overview for S55
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1561598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
any chance of an Arizona approved installer?
Make the trip to SoCal, we'd be happy to service your M4 for you. We're also California's authorized installer.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 02:03 AM   #51
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We have an overview of of the VTT Splinelock install to see what's involved:

Make the trip to SoCal, we'd be happy to service your M4 for you. We're also California's authorized installer.

Im tempted but I have no idea how we would schedule something like that. Or what the entire cost of the trip would be. Cheaper than a new motor I know that haha.
      10-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #52
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Im tempted but I have no idea how we would schedule something like that. Or what the entire cost of the trip would be. Cheaper than a new motor I know that haha.
https://www.bimrs.org/
safe to assume any reputable indy bmw shop can install it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #53
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheirThere View Post
Thanks for the link, I would assume so as well. Im actually only an hour away from Vivid racing...Im wondering if they could handle it.
      10-06-2019, 12:29 AM   #54
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I would assume so as well. Im actually only an hour away from Vivid racing...Im wondering if they could handle it.
Quote:
Quote:
Check your pm
      10-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #55
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

evening. 2 questions really

1) how is the new V2 going? any issues to speak about? it looks like the teeth are meaner than the V1. i know there was rumours that V1 on rare occasion never bite in crank, is that risk removed on V2??? (if there was a risk)

2) looking at the pic on the website. i see 2 hubs... 1 is more hollow (left compared to right) are these actually 2 difference hubs for different cars or does it get a cap over the hollowed out area?

cheers
lee

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #56
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Why not spline the entire hub and manufacture splined gears that slide onto the hub and stay locked in? Would this make timing the engine impossible?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #57
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
evening. 2 questions really

1) how is the new V2 going? any issues to speak about? it looks like the teeth are meaner than the V1. i know there was rumours that V1 on rare occasion never bite in crank, is that risk removed on V2??? (if there was a risk)

2) looking at the pic on the website. i see 2 hubs... 1 is more hollow (left compared to right) are these actually 2 difference hubs for different cars or does it get a cap over the hollowed out area?

cheers
lee
Going great, lots of positive feedback from V2. The bite is more aggressive, which means the shop installing needs to take their time, but it's

I am not sure what pic you mean, but likely different motor application. We make these for N54, N55, S55 currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
Why not spline the entire hub and manufacture splined gears that slide onto the hub and stay locked in? Would this make timing the engine impossible?
Tends to not hold up, but there are always multiple approaches to problem solving.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #58
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tends to not hold up, but there are always multiple approaches to problem solving.

Chris
Could you elaborate, please? It seems to me that you've done well to solve the hub issue, but nothing to solve gear slip. Or is there something I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #59
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Could you elaborate, please? It seems to me that you've done well to solve the hub issue, but nothing to solve gear slip. Or is there something I'm missing?
Hub slip is gear slip effectively. The crank and all timing related pieces have to stay, well, in time. Anything slips and it all goes out the door.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #60
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, simply want to understand. It's not possible for the gears to slip when the hub is spline locked in with the CBC?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #61
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No worries brother! The hub to crank is a friction fit (stock). The gears are mounted to the hub. If the hub slips, the gear slips too. Make sense?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #62
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries brother! The hub to crank is a friction fit (stock). The gears are mounted to the hub. If the hub slips, the gear slips too. Make sense?
Yes, I totally get that they will slip if the hub slips. My question is whether or not it is possible for the gears to slip independently of the hub. I.e. if the hub stays locked in place, does that guarantee the gears will as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #63
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No, gears are not going to move independently of the hub.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #64
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, gears are not going to move independently of the hub.
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying this for me. I appreciate the time you take on these forums!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #65
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying this for me. I appreciate the time you take on these forums!
Timing gear and hub are machined as a single piece. The remaining gear (oil) is not critical to timing.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
Kev608170.50
      12-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #66
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bump for the best-selling AND best-performing option on the market and the only one with a no-slip guarantee avail when installed by an authorized facility.

Basics: Why a spline vs. a key or pin?
While there are many ways to solve crank hub slip issues, of the three major methods (spline, key, pin) the spline is the only one primarily designed to transmit torque. Splines are considered to be "torque dense", meaning extremely efficient at transmitting torque, and do not suffer from balance issues as can be had with some key/pinned setups. Typically many splines are used, which means a more uniform transfer of torque and a lower loading on a given part of the shaft/hub interface. Don't take our word for it though, just look at your own car; transmission input shafts, axles, clutch disks and more all use splines as the chosen torque transmission method. As we see it, the only disadvantage of using a spline over a key or pin is in the manufacturing cost. Don't trust us though, do a little google searching and you'll find this to be repeated many times, a couple quick examples in no particular order (if you want some light spline related reading for the evening):

https://gearsolutions.com/features/inside-splines/

http://westmichiganspline.com/theory/

Design Details!
At a glance summary: we switched to straight splines, made them bigger, and increased the interference fit. How tight? Tight enough that you will need a special puller to remove the Spline Lock if for some reason you ever choose to (puller available for a small additional cost). What about hardness? Great question, glad you asked. The new Spline Locks are made of 440C Tool Steel material with a Rockwell hardness of 55-60 HRC. Check out the pics below (note the hardening process turns the metal a matte grey, then the surface where the seal rides is polished):

No-slip guarantee? Here's the scoop!
Simple. If installed by our shop (VHP in Hayward CA) or one of our approved shops (right now that list includes EAS, and in PR Bimmer Solutions) we guarantee the hub won't slip. The no slip guarantee says the spline lock will not slip for the life of your engine (original owner only). If any issues arise (they won't), diagnosis and/or repair must be performed by VHP or approved installation shop, which is just another way to saying we want people who know what they're doing installing it, and if anything comes up, we want those same qualified people repairing it. If found to have slipped, we will replace the hub, and labor at no cost. This does not cover any possible engine damage.

Do I need to use the CBC with this?
Yes, the Spline Lock and the CBC together are a complete solution.
[B]

Bottom line: The best selling & best performing option on the market, zero reported V2 spline lock (I informally call it the splock) slip events. It works, period.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0