GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Rollrate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Brake Cooling Duct Selection & Install

Lessons learned from my first serious track day in November showed the two most easily remedied factors limiting performance were 1) driving skill and 2) brakes.

Not much I can do about driving skill during NE winter months (except the occasional indoor karting blast) but I resolved to do something about the brakes before spring.

I'm running a 2018 F80 ZCP with DCT, MPHAS and stock steel brake setup....I couldn't stomach $8k for CCBs. For the track day I installed new Ferodo DS2500 pads advertised as "Track Day and Light Race Use". Note: I was trying to avoid the squeal reported with other more aggressive pads e.g. DS1.11 and Pagits. That effort succeeded...there is no squeaking at all street or track and the feel is about the same as stock pads even when cold.

Then after two days and around 200 laps at Millville Thunderbolt (my wife and I both drove in different groups) the Ferodo's were more than half gone. Toward the end of each session, the pedal travel had increased noticeably, not alarming but enough that I felt like braking earlier and lighter, especially coming off long pit straight.

Also I noticed the front calipers on an F82 running the same event had turned from blue to a nasty green/yellow which has been reported by others in these forums due to overheating. The F82 was Austin Yellow so it kind of matched but I don't think Tanz Blue would rock the multi-colored caliper look.

Posts by others suggest brake cooling ducts make a big difference so I started shopping. Found two duct kits for F8x, Revozport and Lightweight. Both priced around $700. The Revozport kit "is to be mounted on the M Performance front splitter" which I don't have and the Lightweight setup appeared to inject air closer to where it should enter the center of the rotor.

So I ordered the Lightweight kit direct from Germany and received it about 2 weeks later. The customer service was satisfactory. Box contents shown below. The quality appears to be good and I like the vane and heat shield built into the rotor shroud. My first thought is that the intake ducts will be vulnerable to 1) damage from rocks or pieces falling off GT350's, Porsches etc. trying to stay ahead of me and 2) plugging with leaves or other trash that could travel through the duct all the way into the rotor. Hmmm.

I will post more later with pictures during and after install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Brasko1420.00
ra2289303.50
drroc418.50
      12-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
In for the install pics

Hopefully you can get some pics showing how the rotor shroud fits/attaches with & without the rotor installed, & exactly how/where the intake ducts fasten under the car
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Subscribed
Would love to see the install
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Shortyy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

I have basically done my own version of these by drilling the OEM dust shield with a hole cutter, mounting trumpets onto the shield then pipe attached. I have done this for front and rear so all 4 corners now get decent cooling.

I done a track day ather fitting this on more than half worn Pagid RS29’s and the brakes were mint all day, even after doing 8-10 hard laps of the track the pedal was still nice and firm and gave you a lot of confidence.

A few other guys have done the same as me on here, that’s where I got the idea. It’s wayyyy cheaper than the kits you can buy and does the same job.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyy View Post
I have basically done my own version of these by drilling the OEM dust shield with a hole cutter, mounting trumpets onto the shield then pipe attached. I have done this for front and rear so all 4 corners now get decent cooling.

I done a track day ather fitting this on more than half worn Pagid RS29’s and the brakes were mint all day, even after doing 8-10 hard laps of the track the pedal was still nice and firm and gave you a lot of confidence.

A few other guys have done the same as me on here, that’s where I got the idea. It’s wayyyy cheaper than the kits you can buy and does the same job.
Where did you attach the hose? Did you just attach them to the bottom of the suspension?
When I did my last event at Laguna with the Pagid RS29s, I didn't have any fade. My front calipers did change the color though The front rotors were just under 500C... I actually had a piece of rubber that was laying inside a wheel make a nice smoke show.

The thing that I don't like about the Revozsport kit is that it doesn't appear to be possible to just buy the ducts in case they get damaged. I have also seen a photo where the rotor has made a hole in the "dust" shield. Finally, as other said, the location for the hose in that kit is not ideal.

It seems that the Lightweight inlet ducts are also not very disposable, and would be fairly expensive to replace in case they get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
Shortyy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Where did you attach the hose? Did you just attach them to the bottom of the suspension?
When I did my last event at Laguna with the Pagid RS29s, I didn't have any fade. My front calipers did change the color though The front rotors were just under 500C... I actually had a piece of rubber that was laying inside a wheel make a nice smoke show.

The thing that I don't like about the Revozsport kit is that it doesn't appear to be possible to just buy the ducts in case they get damaged. I have also seen a photo where the rotor has made a hole in the "dust" shield. Finally, as other said, the location for the hose in that kit is not ideal.

It seems that the Lightweight inlet ducts are also not very disposable, and would be fairly expensive to replace in case they get damaged.
I just cable tied the hoses in place so they point down and towards the front of the car in the air stream.

My calipers are still nice and blue! Haha.

I have seen it where the brake disc has worn through a Revozsport kit too.

Doing all 4 corners on my car cost under £100 ($130) and I have Front and rears done vs the other kits which are about $700 and only do the fronts. It was a no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
jplohg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Can anyone share pics on the DIY? Shortyy?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

Sub'd.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
Rollrate
Private
Rep

OK gang, the install is complete. Here's the story:

Step 1. Battle Harden the CF Intakes
Without some kind of protection I believe debris including sticks, stones, leaves, pieces of broken Porsches etc. could either damage the CF intake leading edges or enter the duct and get into the shroud or rotor. So I epoxied in an aluminum grid (cut from lighting panel material) and put heavy duty weather stripping around the edges.

BEFORE:
Name:  IMG_4556 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5007
Size:  259.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4555 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5001
Size:  560.9 KB

AFTER:
Name:  IMG_4699 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 4999
Size:  459.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4689 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  446.8 KB

Step 2. Install Rotor Shrouds.
Remove the OEM aluminum shroud. There are three 10mm bolts, one of which is impossible to get to without removing the caliper. That's no big deal, just two 18mm bolts and 5 minutes. The new CF shroud uses only two of the three bolt attachment locations.

BEFORE:
Name:  IMG_4685 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5049
Size:  457.8 KB

AFTER:
The shroud is nicely made.
Name:  IMG_4553 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  392.7 KB

There's a guide vane in in the CF shroud, to direct the airflow to the center of the rotor where air enters the rotor interior.
Name:  IMG_4720 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 4997
Size:  421.4 KB

Look down by the steering arm ball joint. I put a couple of washers inbetween the shroud and the attachment point to line things up more parallel and avoid interference with the rubber ball joint cover.
Name:  IMG_4711 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5004
Size:  391.9 KB

Step 3. Final Assembly

The intake attaches directly to two of the OEM belly pan mounting points using the OEM screws. The duct hose and screw clamps fit well.
Name:  IMG_4729 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 6068
Size:  450.2 KB

Step 4. Final Pics & Conclusions

Overall this was an easy job. Start to finish about 4 hours to battle harden the intakes and 4 hours for the installation. The design is thoughtful, the parts are well made and everything fit as advertised.

After the installation was complete I took it on a test drive with no problems. The clearance between the intakes and ground is only about 3", so after the test I removed the intakes and duct hose. That's only about a 20 minute job and I will put them back in for track weekends.

I'm excited to see the results, hoping for later braking, firmer brake pedal feel toward the latter stages of each track session, longer wear out of my Ferodo DS2500 pads and no caliper discoloration. Stay Tuned

Name:  IMG_4733 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5102
Size:  396.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4752 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 5124
Size:  460.0 KB

Last edited by Rollrate; 02-03-2019 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 7
shay2nak1070.00
ra2289303.50
drroc418.50
Nugget649.50
jlhymb44.00
David0ff1056.00
      02-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #10
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Wow ~~~ very clean install~!!! I would like to put it on mine but worried if it scrapes ~ since mine is lowered. Going over speedbumps ~ I'm scarping my under brace
      02-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
Rollrate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysid2007 View Post
Wow ~~~ very clean install~!!! I would like to put it on mine but worried if it scrapes ~ since mine is lowered. Going over speedbumps ~ I'm scarping my under brace

Thanks! I'm lowered too. The intakes are only a few inches ahead of the wheel centerline so speed bumps in my neighborhood aren't an issue. My concern is potholes and debris so I plan to install the intakes for track use only.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollrate View Post
Thanks! I'm lowered too. The intakes are only a few inches ahead of the wheel centerline so speed bumps in my neighborhood aren't an issue. My concern is potholes and debris so I plan to install the intakes for track use only.
Yeah, that sounds good ~ limited usage only ~!! How much did the kit cost??
      02-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysid2007 View Post
Yeah, that sounds good ~ limited usage only ~!! How much did the kit cost??
$700 if you read the OP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I posted photos of my Revozport kit install over a year ago and it appear this kit does a better job of positioning the cooling duct for the rotor. (It was mine that had the shroud burn-through).

I don’t like the idea of the Lightweight scoops being lower than everything else, though, and I’m certain I’d knock them off bombing over kerbs on track. Imola, in particular, has a chicane that you can take a huge cut to improve your entry line and I’m certain the scoops would be gone on lap 1, and my car wasn’t lowered at the time.

I’d love to see the combination of Revozport scoop with the Lightweight shroud.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
Rollrate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I'd love to see the combination of Revozport scoop with the Lightweight shroud.
That same hybrid idea crossed my mind when I was shopping. The Lightweight intakes are only a few inches ahead of the wheel center, so in theory they will rise over bumps with the wheel (not counting suspension travel). We'll see. If they tear off, I may end up going hybrid or something DIY.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Did you replace the 18mm caliper bolts or did you just reuse them? I was watching the brake DIY video, and the recommendation was to replace the 18mm bolts and torque them to 110 Nm.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Rollrate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Did you replace the 18mm caliper bolts or did you just reuse them? I was watching the brake DIY video, and the recommendation was to replace the 18mm bolts and torque them to 110 Nm.
Thx for the headsup. I didn't replace the 18mm caliper bolts but will check with our local shop for a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #18
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thx for the headsup. I didn't replace the 18mm caliper bolts but will check with our local shop for a second opinion.
Let me know what they say, as I am doing a duct install as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #19
amarxyz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyy View Post
I just cable tied the hoses in place so they point down and towards the front of the car in the air stream.

My calipers are still nice and blue! Haha.

I have seen it where the brake disc has worn through a Revozsport kit too.

Doing all 4 corners on my car cost under £100 ($130) and I have Front and rears done vs the other kits which are about $700 and only do the fronts. It was a no brainer for me.
Interested to see this setup as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarxyz View Post
Interested to see this setup as well.
I'll make a how to post once I finish my rear. The total material cost is just under $200.
Attached Images

Last edited by drroc; 03-05-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Rollrate
Private
Rep

Update: Good news/Bad news

First track day at Pocono on the "mega" north/south layout, 3.5 miles per lap with cooling ducts installed, NT-01 tires and Ferodo DS1.11 pads. Wife & I drove different groups, total about 200 miles on track. Absolutely no fade, calipers still blue and front pads down less than 2mm.

No issues contacting the apex curbing however I exited one corner too hot, drifted over the outside curb and put one wheel into the dirt. Cost one duct intake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #22
VroomBahpop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Lessons learned from my first serious track day in November showed the two most easily remedied factors limiting performance were 1) driving skill and 2) brakes.

Not much I can do about driving skill during NE winter months (except the occasional indoor karting blast) but I resolved to do something about the brakes before spring.

I'm running a 2018 F80 ZCP with DCT, MPHAS and stock steel brake setup....I couldn't stomach $8k for CCBs. For the track day I installed new Ferodo DS2500 pads advertised as "Track Day and Light Race Use". Note: I was trying to avoid the squeal reported with other more aggressive pads e.g. DS1.11 and Pagits. That effort succeeded...there is no squeaking at all street or track and the feel is about the same as stock pads even when cold.

Then after two days and around 200 laps at Millville Thunderbolt (my wife and I both drove in different groups) the Ferodo's were more than half gone. Toward the end of each session, the pedal travel had increased noticeably, not alarming but enough that I felt like braking earlier and lighter, especially coming off long pit straight.

Also I noticed the front calipers on an F82 running the same event had turned from blue to a nasty green/yellow which has been reported by others in these forums due to overheating. The F82 was Austin Yellow so it kind of matched but I don't think Tanz Blue would rock the multi-colored caliper look.

Posts by others suggest brake cooling ducts make a big difference so I started shopping. Found two duct kits for F8x, Revozport and Lightweight. Both priced around $700. The Revozport kit "is to be mounted on the M Performance front splitter" which I don't have and the Lightweight setup appeared to inject air closer to where it should enter the center of the rotor.

So I ordered the Lightweight kit direct from Germany and received it about 2 weeks later. The customer service was satisfactory. Box contents shown below. The quality appears to be good and I like the vane and heat shield built into the rotor shroud. My first thought is that the intake ducts will be vulnerable to 1) damage from rocks or pieces falling off GT350's, Porsches etc. trying to stay ahead of me and 2) plugging with leaves or other trash that could travel through the duct all the way into the rotor. Hmmm.

I will post more later with pictures during and after install.
Do they still sell the lightweight duct kit? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

A floored M DCT shifting is one of the most Beautiful sounds I have ever heard....
Previous: 1999 Prelude SH, 2002 C5 Corvette, 2017 Civic Si, 2010 Tundra, too many motorcycles to list and too dangerous, The M4 is my bike riding on fours
Appreciate 0