Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #23
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: DC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Well...its definitely a valving issue. After a short track day (3 20 min. sessions) and so street driving i'd say 90%-95% of the bounce is gone. It doesn't matter if its sport or touring valving for what we are paying it sux. It finally rides like an M should in my opinion. That being said if i could do it all over i would have just purchased a used set of coil-overs and had them dynoed and rebuilt before installing since that's what i ended up doing except my set was new. Shout out to Inertia Labs http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Hello,

What spring rates are you running? Also only the fronts were done?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #24
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post
Hello,

What spring rates are you running? Also only the fronts were done?
600 front 800 rear. Rears were ok. Just the fronts were revalved. Softer springs won’t fix the bounce I almost went down that road.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
991dc5
Private
Rep

So anyone with rs2 touring kit can give me their dampening to at least reduce the low speed bounce? I have tried tinkering on my own with no avail. I think I will get a set of ast or kwcs if I can't get a balance.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #26
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Don't get AST. They're absolute garbage. They're tech sucks also. I had a set on an Evo 9 and a set that came with another and chucked them as soon as I could. I'd rebuilt the Evo set twice and they never stayed together
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Don't get AST. They're absolute garbage. They're tech sucks also. I had a set on an Evo 9 and a set that came with another and chucked them as soon as I could. I'd rebuilt the Evo set twice and they never stayed together
Was this before or after AST purchased Moton? Prior to the purchase, AST did have major quality control issues and even stopped selling dampers in the US for a few years while they redesigned their dampers. Their redesigned 5xxx series dampers now use Moton technology and they have addressed quality control issues. I know several people running their 5200 and 5300 damper setups on the track with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Not me. Lots of issues. Especially because of my track use.. This was just a couple of years ago. Seriously they aren't any good. Even the people I sold both sets to had so many blown units they punted them off to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #29
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
You could feel the car continue to bounce at stop signs. Not nearly enough rebound.

That's not at all what we're talking about in this thread.

You are describing blown shocks with too little rebound valving that lets the chassis bounce at rest.

What the OP (and others) are describing are shocks with too much low speed valving (and too much gas pressure/stiction), which requires more force to initiate damper movement than the road is imparting on the suspension at very slow vehicle speeds. In other words, the forces entering the suspension are too low to get the suspension to compress/extend and thus the chassis follows every little undulation in the road, springing back to neutral very rapidly.... aka: bouncy or busy.

This, as stated, is due to two things:

1 - too much low (shaft) speed valving force (this prevents the suspension from breathing with the road whilst keeping the chassis relatively stable)
2 - too much internal gas pressure which acts as a spring and resists compression/creates stiction

Very common on track-based coil-overs with very aggressive low speed valving curves. If you look at a shock dyno and see a tall, near vertical ramp up just off of zero.... that's a clue.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #30
whitstap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I’ve seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don’t have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
In other words pair them with softer springs or have them revalved

Last edited by whitstap; 10-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #31
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstap View Post
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I've seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don't have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
In this case would I even benefit from increasing the rebound dampening to lessen this effect? I've been trying to adjust it according to the call I made to JRZ by leaving their recommended compression setting (6F and 4R), and increasing the rebound in increments. However the issue persists. The bouncing is evident even at freeway speeds, I've rode on spring equipped m3's and even they do not have my issue.

I am on the touring kit which is supposed to be more daily oriented already.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #32
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I’ve seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don’t have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
What's the gas force? A lot of times they "zero" it out on the dyno plots, but in actuality it shifts the whole curve up.

Quote:
In this case would I even benefit from increasing the rebound dampening to lessen this effect? I've been trying to adjust it according to the call I made to JRZ by leaving their recommended compression setting (6F and 4R), and increasing the rebound in increments. However the issue persists. The bouncing is evident even at freeway speeds, I've rode on spring equipped m3's and even they do not have my issue.

What are the F:R ride frequencies? The "bouncing" could be pitching. I had pitching F:R frequencies once. The car felt like it was ALWAYS moving and you felt every undulation in the road surface. It sucked.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      10-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #33
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I've seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don't have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
What's the gas force? A lot of times they "zero" it out on the dyno plots, but in actuality it shifts the whole curve up.

Quote:

What are the F:R ride frequencies? The "bouncing" could be pitching. I had pitching F:R frequencies once. The car felt like it was ALWAYS moving and you felt every undulation in the road surface. It sucked.
unfortunately I do not have that information.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #34
whitstap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

I’m not sure of the gas force but Brian at JRZ would know, that can increase the initial comp and rebound feel if the pressure is high... the stock edc dampers have quite a bit of damping force built into them, not a lot at slow shaft speeds but digressive at mid speeds and a lot of high speed at full closed... I’ve seen the dyno plots for them and I was suprised as even the sport plus settings for the civic and ZCP setups are nowhere near full closed, haven’t ridden in or driven a cs but apparently they use more... for fun if you want to feel full stiff on the edc shocks just unplug one of the sensors and they stay at full closed https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603360 awesome thread by jetbill if your interested ... anyway sorry for getting off topic... to answer the question about getting the most out of your current setup I would try going full closed with the rebound and unless you feel like it’s getting onto the bumpstops or bottoming out too easily and quickly I would open up the compression all the way and see how it feels... if it’s too soft and bottoms out too easily start adding compression, and if it improved the slow speed rebound oscillations but is too rough over big bumps reduce the rebound a bit but I doubt there will be too much rebound available... ride height and rake can effect weight transfer as well without changing spring rates... of course I could be wrong and there are a lot of factors that I don’t know just making an educated guess... good luck

Last edited by whitstap; 10-09-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
jetbill196.50
      06-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #35
d00bies
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

my bad guys, haven't been back on the forum for awhile. forgot my password lol. i ended switching over to airlift performance, rides like a dream. But if you're in the market for coilovers around the 2-3k price point, go with kw's. I had the rs2 with spring rates out of the box. i tried adjusting compression and rebound every way possible. i hate that little bounce you get at slow speeds over a crack in the road. If im spending 3k+ on coilovers i shouldn't have to worry about gas force or none of that. we installed a bunch of kw's on mercedes and bmw's at my shop, never had this problem, even the low end coilovers like k sport and br racing dont have that bounce. just wanted to try out jrz since it was the popular brand on this forum. I always like to try different brands for the experience. if jrz's valving cant even handle little cracks in the road, they wont be able to handle the track for sure lol. jrz definitely should spend a little more on r+d. These are not cheap suspension on cheap cars that people are purchasing!

Last edited by d00bies; 06-16-2020 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:50 AM   #36
d00bies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Bouncy huh...

First let's confirm that you're adjusting the dampers in the correct direction. Full soft is clockwise, and full stiff is counter clockwise. JRZ is backwards compared to most manufacturers.

Next, as a test, set the compression to full soft and set the rebound to 50% aka 12 clicks out / counter clockwise.

Lastly, make sure your tires are set to an appropriate pressure, likely in the low to mid 30's.

This setup should feel 'soft' during bump soak up, without post-bump oscillation.

What's difficult to articulate is how you define 'bouncy'. For some people that could be excessive damping in the chassis while for others it could be too little damping. Try to really describe what's not working the way you expect. The RS twos have a lot of damping range so I'd be very surprised if you're looking for something with even more rebound damping force.

good coilovers are suppose to absorb bumps and cracks. not bounce like a pogo stick imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:59 AM   #37
d00bies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hello, hate to revive an old thread but better than starting a new one right? Anyways, I recently installed the jrz RS two touring with GC plates. I'm also experiencing alot of bounce at low speeds. The high speed rebound seems fine but the high-speed compression can also be felt over small shallow bumps on the highway.

My kit has no helper springs, so only the stock jrz rates. My stripped dc5 track car on inferior fortune autos feel less bouncy without too much bump.
had custom built fortune autos on my e46 m3. they were aite. valving on their shocks aren't that great either, if you're gonna use the same valving on every shock, whats the point of letting people do custom spring rates? honestly to me, kw's are far more superior than jrz and fortune autos. I'd go with moton coilovers if you want the high end stuff.

Last edited by d00bies; 06-16-2020 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #38
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00bies View Post
good coilovers are suppose to absorb bumps and cracks. not bounce like a pogo stick imo.
I think this is where problem begins. If yo don't want pogo stick it means that you want chassis to absorb impact, shock don't do much, but if you want shocks do the work there are some occassions where pogo stick begings. Please someone correct me if above statement is wrong.

While good coilovers completely absorb bumps and handle them extremely well it takes some time to settle. So meantime if you hit another bumps or cracks before suspension fully recovers that is when multiple bounces/pogo sticks begin. I have been trying to find a good balance between them but haven't found a solution yet.

Low speed bounce mostly happens in some uneven roads where the road have some soft ups and downs where suspension reacts to much and it gets worse when fronts trigger rears or the vice versa.

I also still believe we need some terminology here in suspension forum to have a consistent chat. I noticed sometimes people talk about completely different things by using same words.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #39
Engrmikl
Rep
Drives: 12 335is, 02 M3

JRZ RS2

Waking up an old thread here
What you guys might be feeling is that all the RS1 and RS2 are a twin tube designs and react differently to the Pro series or something similar which are monotube. The twin tube if I understand correctly has the gas and fluid mixed and less oil so heat soak and aeration might cause some of the problems you are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 09:12 AM   #40
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

FWIW my RS2 Touring for my F87 M2 also had the bounce effect. It became a little bit better when I set the dampers to almost full soft.

For some reason however my set kept making spring bind and clunking noise, so JRZ upgraded me to the RS Pro. Wow what a difference - they ride awesome even on factory settings and best of all no bounce lol. This is what I was expecting to get from the RS2 (but didn't).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #41
Mrfurious214
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White M3

This really stinks to read. It's confusing how many people like JRZ if this issue is happening so frequently. I was really interested in these but now idk
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #42
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

I have both the RS2 and RS Pro 3-way.

I was one of the first people to purchase the FallLine JRZ RS2 Kit from IND. Since then, I upgraded to the RS Pro 3-Way. About 6 months ago, I went back to the RS2 and have been on it since. My ride quality is really really nice. I am pretty much 100% street driving only.

I have tried so many different spring configurations and have settled on Eibach ERS 500 lb/in front with 1000 lb/in rear.

I found that you need to have the rear spring a little more than double the stiffness of the front spring to keep the chassis oscillating close to flat. 1000 lb/in is pretty much the stiffest you can go in the rear without using a helper. I would run a 400 or 450 on the front, but I find that it's too soft for my aggressive GT4 splitter.

While it's true that the RS Pro has better damping, I was really surprised when I went back to the RS2. So much so that I was thinking about selling the RS Pro 3-Way. Keep in mind that my RS2 have been on my car since 2016 (minus the one year I was on the RS Pro).

In my suspension journey for the F-Chassis (staring in 2012 with the F30), this is the best set up I've had for my needs. It's comfortable, flat, and doesn't bottom out.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M750.00
      04-13-2023, 08:41 PM   #43
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I have zero bouncing on RS2, I was a KW fan boy then decided to try JRZ RS2 and these don't disappoint. I'm happy with ride quality on Eibach springs 600f/800r track not touring.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 06:36 PM   #44
zsm494116024
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
On the street, stiffer springs will not reduce the "bounciness"; a softer spring will smooth out the bounce. I've seen JRZ RS2 come with different spring rates but mine was: Front 500lb main spring + 150lb tender spring. Rear 700lb main spring.

I swapped my front main spring to 350lb. It's a bit too soft. I suggest a 400lb would be perfect for the street.

But before you go that route, try adjusting the compression/rebound on the rear first. This will eliminate almost all the "bounce". Start from this and adjust to taste...

STREET SET UP

FRONT
Compression: 5
Rebound: 9

REAR
Compression: 2
Rebound: 5

Note: 0 is full soft

Hey what is your track setup for spring rate and JRZ?
Appreciate 0