Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Out of state buying

So Ive been looking at getting into in M3 in the very near future, and unfortunately most of the cars I find that meet my criteria are out of state. Not an issue, but an inconvenience.

Anyways, when it comes to sales tax I was told 2 different things

1. If I purchase the car and have it shipped, I dont need to pay the sales tax, licensing, or title fees. I need to pay that when it get to my home state and register it.

2. Shipped or not...I have to pay sales tax of the state it was purchased in, but no licensing or title fees.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Im in AZ, and looking to purchase from either CA or TX

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

You wouldn't he able to drive the car in the state you're buying if you intend to register the car out of state unless you can get the dealer to give you a 1 way registration which I believe would allow you drive the car immediately out of state within 12-24hrs? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you wanna ship the car you'd need a bill of laden from the transport company.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
M2 Pilot
Private
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, c8 Corvette

I'm not sure, but I think this will depend on the state you live in and the state you're buying in. The dealer should be able to provide correct info (mine was, bought the car from FL. dealer & live in NC). Or you might start with contacting each states' DMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
cehrl7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2022 X3MC  [10.00]
I live in Indiana and bought a M3 from Texas. I paid the sales tax(Indiana) to the dealer and had it shipped. I also paid for the registration up front. The dealer gave me a temporary tag for 45 days, while I waited for the plate. It was very easy and would do it again.
Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Once I actually find the car I want...which is posing a bigger problem than I thought...ill definitely have them clarify. From what it looks like tho is California wanted to charge you their sales tax which is definitely higher than AZ, and why pay more than I have to is my thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Tax is easy if your state has tax reciprocity with the state you're buying in. If that's the case, they'll simply add the tax as they would if you were buying in your state. Seems that for registration, they will simply ship the car with a temp tag and get your plates for you and mail them. But again, varies by state.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing, however, is to make sure the dealer has experience and good reputation in shipping cars out of state. If they don't, you are in for a world of trouble.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Tax is easy if your state has tax reciprocity with the state you're buying in. If that's the case, they'll simply add the tax as they would if you were buying in your state. Seems that for registration, they will simply ship the car with a temp tag and get your plates for you and mail them. But again, varies by state.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing, however, is to make sure the dealer has experience and good reputation in shipping cars out of state. If they don't, you are in for a world of trouble.
Depending on timeline of the purchase I would really like to go out to whichever dealer and drive it home. Buying anything sight unseen makes me nervous.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

I do have question though...most dealers Ive been talking to have pretty much told me "No Negotiations, whats listed is the price" whats with that? My wife and I just purchased a new highlander in June and Negotiated 1500 under invoice. Am I just being told this because Im doing this over emails/phone calls versus going into a dealer.

Since when cant you negotiate a price?!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I do have question though...most dealers Ive been talking to have pretty much told me "No Negotiations, whats listed is the price" whats with that? My wife and I just purchased a new highlander in June and Negotiated 1500 under invoice. Am I just being told this because Im doing this over emails/phone calls versus going into a dealer.

Usually when that happens, they're either in it for more than they're selling it for. Or have a huge profit margin and are just waiting for the right buyer to come along and swoop it up at the listed price.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:

A lot of the larger dealership networks are going to the Carmax model of no haggling. You just have to make sure that's the actual policy, not the classic line of "the internet price is our best price", which is hogwash.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:25 AM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:

1- tax is paid when you register the vehicle at the DMV. California provides a temp registration to drive the vehicle out of state, but if it's being trucked out of state, it's not needed. Only pay sales tax to the state you're registering it in.

2- the dealerships that aren't willing to negotiate probably saw the new G80 concept.

In all seriousness though for part 2, I got my car for 1500 below invoice from a California dealership. I wouldn't even pay invoice for a BMW.
      09-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ya, I have a feeling this "were a one price dealer" is a bunch of BS especially since Im doing this mainly through emails.

Actually this whole experience has been garbage. Dealers not returning calls/emails and to the point of lying. I really despise dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
So Ive been looking at getting into in M3 in the very near future, and unfortunately most of the cars I find that meet my criteria are out of state. Not an issue, but an inconvenience.

Anyways, when it comes to sales tax I was told 2 different things

1. If I purchase the car and have it shipped, I dont need to pay the sales tax, licensing, or title fees. I need to pay that when it get to my home state and register it.

2. Shipped or not...I have to pay sales tax of the state it was purchased in, but no licensing or title fees.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Im in AZ, and looking to purchase from either CA or TX

Thanks!
1. It depends. Some (larger) dealers will collect tax and registration even for out of State buyers as they have agreements with third parties to process the registration in whichever State the car will be registered in. Some will not collect any tax and registration if you're out of State.

2. See #1. Each dealer is different. If they do not have a third party processor that will handle registration in YOUR state of residence on your behalf, they may not collect any tax or registration at all. You can also purchase and drive the car off the lot out of state without paying tax using a dealer provided temporary registration that usually cost less than $100. Like anything else, you will pay all taxes and reg in your State when you register the car.

The bottom line is that there is discretion allowed to dealers by the States they do business in. There is reciprocity between States so ultimately, it doesn't matter where you pay the tax, as long as it's paid. Assuming you're dealing with reputable dealerships, and you're not trying to skirt on paying tax, this is really a non-issue.

Lastly, I suggest not buying any car sight unseen. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Isn't there a law in Arizona that you don't pay sales tax if you purchase from a private seller?
      09-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #15
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

BS, you can buy out of state, you pay the tax in your state, have the dealer give you a temporary tag so you can drive it home, contact your insurance company prior to picking up vehicle so you will have insurance while transporting it back to your home state. I purchased mine in VA and drove it home to NJ and paid NJ tax and got the state inspection all under 2 weeks. Buying out of state is a breeze as in state dealers act like they are doing you a favor by jacking up the price for a base model. Good Luck with your purchase.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #16
SCKOMS
SCKOMS
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible

Talk to your local DMV. The best option is to take your bill of sale/contract there and pay the sales tax and registration fees yourself.
I just bought an M4 from a Cali dealership who use a 3rd party to process sales tax and registration. They overcharged me on both AND they charged me a processing fee for the 3rd party. Good luck to me getting reimbursed.
They did handle the shipping well and at a very reasonable charge ($1250 SoCal to Chicago).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #17
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCKOMS View Post
Talk to your local DMV. The best option is to take your bill of sale/contract there and pay the sales tax and registration fees yourself.
I just bought an M4 from a Cali dealership who use a 3rd party to process sales tax and registration. They overcharged me on both AND they charged me a processing fee for the 3rd party. Good luck to me getting reimbursed.
They did handle the shipping well and at a very reasonable charge ($1250 SoCal to Chicago).
Well I did end up buying my M3 from a dealer in colorado and because I had it shipped I didnt have to pay registration and only had to pay AZ sales tax so it worked out well instead of large tax/registration fees being rolled into the loan.
      10-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #18
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I was told by my CA dealer that CA DMV can get you a temp sticker for you to drive back to your own state.

But I had my car shipped. Did not pay any CA fees. Only paid my own state fees after delivery and when registering.
Appreciate 0