Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Lostmfound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Paul tuned question

Anybody PJT and running meth in the J pipe. Paul recommends chargepipes but after some research i would prefer the meth in j pipe for my set up
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

There are more than a handful blown engines with this particular meth configuration. If you're considering this approach as a way to save money on a proper PI system, then my personal recommendation is to save for a while. Do things right the first time, or don't do it at all.

A PI system, especially w/ AIC6 controller isn't entirely immune to failure, but below are some of the cons with a J-pipe meth feed:

1. Uneven meth distribution on Cylinders 4-5
2. Not enough distance for meth atomization depending on nozzle size
3. Unpredictable meth controller failure leading into excessive meth dump (KABOOM)
4. Unpredictable meth controller/pump failure leading into a dangerously lean condition caused by lack of meth flow (KABOOM)

With everything said, meth feed in the charge pipes (pre-IC) is more effective in cooling the charge air, and provides more room for safety in case any unexpected issues arise.
Appreciate 6
      08-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Lostmfound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
There are more than a handful blown engines with this particular meth configuration. If you're considering this approach as a way to save money on a proper PI system, then my personal recommendation is to save for a while. Do things right the first time, or don't do it at all.

A PI system, especially w/ AIC6 controller isn't entirely immune to failure, but below are some of the cons with a J-pipe meth feed:

1. Uneven meth distribution on Cylinders 4-5
2. Not enough distance for meth atomization depending on nozzle size
3. Unpredictable meth controller failure leading into excessive meth dump (KABOOM)
4. Unpredictable meth controller/pump failure leading into a dangerously lean condition caused by lack of meth flow (KABOOM)

With everything said, meth feed in the charge pipes (pre-IC) is more effective in cooling the charge air, and provides more room for safety in case any unexpected issues arise.

Got it thanks for feedback. I was planning on running pi and meth. When you say proper PI are you referring to port injected meth or port injected fuel?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I know a handful of S55's here in AZ that run meth or some 50/50 water meth in the J-Pipe and use the Snow Performance 2.5 kit with one #6 nozzle. This allows the intercooler to do its job as well as cool the charge air even more. I was planning on going this route but running water meth just for cooling purposes. Everything I have been told, the flow atomizes enough even in the J-Pipe to distribute evenly.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmfound View Post
Got it thanks for feedback. I was planning on running pi and meth. When you say proper PI are you referring to port injected meth or port injected fuel?
Port Injection tapped into the LPFP fuel line using your fuel of choice (e.g. ethanol, methanol, race, or pump).

Give this F80Paul thread a read to get an idea of the fuel possibilities: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1461904
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

This will be interesting 👀
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You are paying Paul a lot of money to custom tune your car, I'm assuming that because you trust he's an expert on tuning.

I'm not an expert on methanol injection, I would go with what the tuner recommends

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Lostmfound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You are paying Paul a lot of money to custom tune your car, I'm assuming that because you trust he's an expert on tuning.

I'm not an expert on methanol injection, I would go with what the tuner recommends
He most definitely is an expert. But i would say cary is an expert as well. I went with Paul because i prefer the way he tunes full e85 S55s. That doesnt mean i dont trust other experts and prefer some things that they may offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Lostmfound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Quote:
Port Injection tapped into the LPFP fuel line using your fuel of choice (e.g. ethanol, methanol, race, or pump).

Give this F80Paul thread a read to get an idea of the fuel possibilities: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1461904

Awesome thread thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I like meth injection for cooling ability but to add fuel that way its always been sketchy to me due to distribution across cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:52 AM   #11
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Anybody PJT and running meth in the J pipe. Paul recommends chargepipes but after some research i would prefer the meth in j pipe for my set up
What did you end up doing after all? I also wanted to run duel 6mm nozzles but Paul wanted me to only use one on the chargepipe. Kind of bummed out because I wanted my setup in the j pipe
Appreciate 0