Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-26-2021, 12:50 AM   #2179
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
An MPE muffler can still be considered the stock muffler, as that is what some cars came optioned with from the factory. I took a look at his IG page and just to confirm, it looks to be a MPE muffler as shown by the exhaust tips and the muffler appearing to be tucked in, unlike the non-comp/comp/cs muffler. I also noticed from the sound, since the MPE muffler is Titanium. It gives off a different tone, more of like a high pitched sound which I really like. Too much titanium on the exhaust system will frankly sound terrible, but having the muffler be titanium gives off a nice touch.
You're right that you could option MPE as an add-on!

For this guy though, I think he really just has the stock muffler and put on carbon tips to match his diffuser. I noticed in the video, it looked like he had the signature BMW muffler "udder" hanging down (although less noticeable due to the diffuser). If you look at the following photo from his insta, you can see the "udder" there and its design grooves/channels (it's dark but you can just make it out). MPE would be tucked up & away a little more and be smooth (no groves or channels) - with that diffuser I doubt you would be able to see it.

04-26-2021, 03:32 AM   #2180
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
An MPE muffler can still be considered the stock muffler, as that is what some cars came optioned with from the factory. I took a look at his IG page and just to confirm, it looks to be a MPE muffler as shown by the exhaust tips and the muffler appearing to be tucked in, unlike the non-comp/comp/cs muffler. I also noticed from the sound, since the MPE muffler is Titanium. It gives off a different tone, more of like a high pitched sound which I really like. Too much titanium on the exhaust system will frankly sound terrible, but having the muffler be titanium gives off a nice touch.
You're right that you could option MPE as an add-on!

For this guy though, I think he really just has the stock muffler and put on carbon tips to match his diffuser. I noticed in the video, it looked like he had the signature BMW muffler "udder" hanging down (although less noticeable due to the diffuser). If you look at the following photo from his insta, you can see the "udder" there and its design grooves/channels (it's dark but you can just make it out). MPE would be tucked up & away a little more and be smooth (no groves or channels) - with that diffuser I doubt you would be able to see it.

Dude, good eye. I tried to look pretty for the muffler but really couldn't see it. Even just looking at the photo you posted, you have to really look to spot the ugly oem muffler.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #2181
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dude, good eye. I tried to look pretty for the muffler but really couldn't see it. Even just looking at the photo you posted, you have to really look to spot the ugly oem muffler.
Hehe at least we don't have M2C levels of udder going on. Also, a simple coat of black VHT header paint really makes a massive impact in drawing your eye away from the muffler
      04-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #2182
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
I have the MPE, with AA's midpipe

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #2183
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
I have the MPE, with AA's midpipe
How has that setup worked out for you?
previous

Last edited by McBobby Jr; 04-26-2021 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: super long quote that was unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #2184
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
How has that setup worked out for you?
I like it, there's a vid of it here somewhere

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #2185
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

Quote:
Sounds great! Another W for the stock muffler
thanks, f80ho did a full on video of mine vs his, he should be posting soon. this was part of it.

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #2186
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
How much did the sound change by going resonated? Did it quiet down a lot? What rear section are you running?
It's quite a bit more quiet with the resonators, and the sound quality is much better, IMO. The resonators kill the brassy VQ35 sound that the non-resonated EL sometimes makes.
I have tried both back to back on the same day with everything else stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #2187
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
How much did the sound change by going resonated? Did it quiet down a lot? What rear section are you running?
I've been running resonated for 2 months, only ran un-resonated for 10 minutes so with that caveat I can answer the opposite of your question.

Not much volume difference switching to unresonated with normal driving. Driving at WOT the farts and burbles are louder, more aggressive and raw.

Resonated to me sounds more tame but cleaner and classier.

This is on a stock ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #2188
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Resonated to me sounds more tame but cleaner and classier.
So what you're saying is:

Redacre369.00
TimmyM56241.50
Kilabyte3948.00
bensf8222.50
      04-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #2189
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

I love the volume of the non-resonated midpipe paired with catless downpipes, but the tone gets lost in the sound. But I also love the sound of the resonated midpipe with catless downpipes, but just not quite loud enough. If only there was a way to have both.
previous
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #2190
joon.
XMMMM
Rep
Drives: F98 X4MC

Quote:
Chainsaw you say? I raise you the following:

Possibly the worst S55 exhaust I have ever heard
This one is in the classified section. It was bought for like $1,500 & the dude is reselling it for like $4,000 because of its 1/1-ness. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #2191
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Hey guys as promised here is a video showing some acceleration drive bys, revs, etc. of my exhaust.

It's not the greatest and it was a quick recording and edit but it will have to do for now since I know a lot of people want to hear this exhaust.

I put the notes in the video but here it is again:
- This (was) is a base M4, so it's not a ZCP
- I have no tune
- There are no exhaust burbles
- Active Autowerke equal length midpipe, non-resonated
- DINAN axleback
- Stock downpipes

Thank you Luc@Speed&Tech and RJ for the awesome job!

Enjoy...
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread

Last edited by bmwmdistrict; 04-26-2021 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      04-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #2192
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Sounds good bro!

The more vids I watch the more I feel like getting rid of the MPE for a steel muffler. Maybe it's just my video where to me it sounds "truckish" where these mufflers sound smoother. I need to get under there and check clearances again. I haven't heard my car from the outside but inside it sounds insane.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      04-27-2021, 12:18 AM   #2193
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Hey guys as promised here is a video showing some acceleration drive bys, revs, etc. of my exhaust.

It's not the greatest and it was a quick recording and edit but it will have to do for now since I know a lot of people want to hear this exhaust.

- I have no tune
- DINAN axleback
- Stock downpipes

Enjoy...
Sounds great! OEM valve settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #2194
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Sounds great! OEM valve settings?
Yes it's using the OEM valve controls which are retained with the Dinan axle back. I almost had a valve control kit installed but decided not to. I'm honestly glad I didn't install it, it's plenty loud when I want it to be and pretty quiet in efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:56 AM   #2195
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Sounds good bro!

The more vids I watch the more I feel like getting rid of the MPE for a steel muffler. Maybe it's just my video where to me it sounds "truckish" where these mufflers sound smoother. I need to get under there and check clearances again. I haven't heard my car from the outside but inside it sounds insane.
I would not get rid of the MPE. That's just me but it's not worth the money to remove it and get something else. I personally think the MPE + AA EL is the best there is, but I wasn't going to buy a brand new MPE and cut up that midpipe just to get a AA EL midpipe to work. That's way too much money on an exhaust at that point.

So I went with what I did and I have no regrets, Dinan + AA EL is a very close second best. I think the Dinan gives it a deeper growl which I really liked.

I was coming from a completely stock exhaust so the whole thing had to go regardless. I wanted to do it once and do it right. But like anything else it comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      04-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #2196
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Sounds good bro!

SS gives a lower fuller tone, naturally resonates differently than titanium. I've personally never been a fan of titanium for an exhaust. They look cool, but a lot of times people get caught up in other characteristics of titanium and assume it's by default better than SS. And that's not always true, when arguably the most important characteristic of an exhaust is the tone.

Follow your gut, maybe meet up with a local to compare Don't feel pigeonholed into your MPE just because "titanium."
      04-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #2197
f80tanz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Sounds good bro!

Quote:
Sounds good bro!

I realize that sound is subjective, but I got to say that seeing you continually say it sounds 'truckish' is just not true to me. I have the same setup with stock downpipes, non-resonated EQ, & MPE, and I couldn't be happier. It's definitely louder than MPE on its own, and higher pitched at WOT without the rasp. Efficient mode feels super quiet, which is a nice option to have. I thought your car sounded great in the video you made, and I think everyone realizes that it's very hard to capture the true sound of an exhaust via video.

That being said, the Dinan setup with AA non res EQ also sounds great bsm.m4 . Congrats, hope you enjoy it, and I bet you are starting to forget you even had to wait for it!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #2198
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post

- I have no tune
- DINAN axleback
- Stock downpipes

Enjoy...
that sounds perfect. was going to go with dinan but went with remus due to dinan being back ordered. hoping remus + aa sounds like that
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #2199
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
that sounds perfect. was going to go with dinan but went with remus due to dinan being back ordered. hoping remus + aa sounds like that
It should be very very close. I almost went with Remus myself. I just couldn't justify the extra grand when I was really happy to hear how the Dinan setup was.

You should be very happy with the Remus.
Appreciate 1
six75LT916.50
      04-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #2200
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80tanz View Post
That being said, the Dinan setup with AA non res EQ also sounds great bsm.m4 . Congrats, hope you enjoy it, and I bet you are starting to forget you even had to wait for it!
Thanks! Yes you're right, I can honestly say the wait was worth it!
Appreciate 0