R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I'm looking into an MCS 2WR true coilover kit, one question that came up is about spring length. Bimmerworld suggested 6" length springs but I noticed there are many other lengths available since it's a piecemeal setup.

Edit: more specifically, they recommended

(Edit: switched f/r label)
Rear: Hypercoil 6" 700lb 2.25 diameter
Front: Hypercoil 6" 800 lb 2.25 diameter
2x 2.25" hypercoil helper springs / spring guide sets also.

It's hard for me to get a good frame of reference for the spring length.

Currently I have KW V3 and it is a little too low in the rear on the highest setting. Anyone have any advice on spring length or does 6" sound good?

Last edited by melanthius; 05-12-2021 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
I'm looking into an MCS 2WR true coilover kit, one question that came up is about spring length. Bimmerworld suggested 6" length springs but I noticed there are many other lengths available since it's a piecemeal setup.

Front: Hypercoil 6" 700lb 2.25 diameter
Rear: Hypercoil 6" 800 lb 2.25 diameter

Currently I have KW V3 and it is a little too low in the rear on the highest setting. Anyone have any advice on spring length or does 6" sound good?
Believe it also comes down to sway bar clearance. I know bimmerworld recommends running 6" in the rear at the top position rather than inverted in order to clear the sway bar.

Did they tell you to run the rear inverted with the remote setup or right side up? I don't believe they supply the offset spacers anymore either to push the shock further from the sway bar when ran inverted, as they feel it moves the shock travel outside of the center line of travel.

I am wondering the same as you. Currently have 1WNR divorced that I am thinking of converting to a rear coilover.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:

Believe it also comes down to sway bar clearance. I know bimmerworld recommends running 6" in the rear at the top position rather than inverted in order to clear the sway bar.

Did they tell you to run the rear inverted with the remote setup or right side up? I don't believe they supply the offset spacers anymore either to push the shock further from the sway bar as they feel it moves the shock travel outside of the center line of travel.

I am wondering the same as you. Currently have 1WNR divorced that I am thinking of converting to a rear coilover.
I didn't get to the point yet where they mentioned specific installation orientation, but they did mention sway bar clearance issue over the phone. They seem to be standing behind the setup I posted above (as far as clearance goes), but at the same time I wasn't sure about how it would affect ride height adjustment range.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did they tell you to run the rear inverted with the remote setup or right side up? I don't believe they supply the offset spacers anymore either to push the shock further from the sway bar as they feel it moves the shock travel outside of the center line of travel.

I didn't get to the point yet where they mentioned specific installation orientation, but they did mention sway bar clearance issue over the phone. They seem to be standing behind the setup I posted above, but at the same time I wasn't sure about how it would affect ride height adjustment range.
6" with a helper should give you plenty of ride height adjustment and sit higher than the KWs you have. I am curious to what they tell you about installation orientation.

Also - I believe the lower spring rate should be in the rear.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't get to the point yet where they mentioned specific installation orientation, but they did mention sway bar clearance issue over the phone. They seem to be standing behind the setup I posted above, but at the same time I wasn't sure about how it would affect ride height adjustment range.
6" with a helper should give you plenty of ride height adjustment and sit higher than the KWs you have. I am curious to what they tell you about installation orientation.

Thanks @rborane !!! Exactly the confirmation I needed.

I might have gotten the fronts/rears mixed up as it was not explicitly called out on the quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Isn’t that fairly high rate for a real coilover spring?

I am running 800F/400R…

The car is going to be a bit lose in the back with that setup…

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post

I am running 800F/400R…

Not sure but it is what bw is recommending for the use case I described, dual purpose street/track. At least springs can be changed fairly cheaply.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

I am running 800F/400R…

700lbs/in on a coilover is the same as 1000lbs/in in the stock spring location. Not super stiff, and quite frankly, coilover not required at that spring rate.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Isn't that fairly high rate for a real coilover spring?

I am running 800F/400R…

700lbs/in on a coilover is the same as 1000lbs/in in the stock spring location. Not super stiff, and quite frankly, coilover not required at that spring rate.
How do you figure the conversion number to equate what a coilover rate would be in the divorced (oem) position?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
How do you figure the conversion number to equate what a coilover rate would be in the divorced (oem) position?
I measured the motion ratios in those areas so I can convert either to wheel rate. 1000lbs/in in the original location, or 700lbs/in at the damper both equate to about 408lbs/in wheel rate.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1515.50
      05-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:

I am running 800F/400R…

Quote:

I'm running a 900F/800R. It's definitely not too loose on track.

Op, those rates sound reasonable to me.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I know I mentioned this to you privately but I thought I'd leave the info here for future reference

Bimmerworld recommended running standard orientation (non-inverted) with springs and adjusters on top in the rear
Appreciate 1
rborane240.00
      05-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

You will want a 6" if you run helpers, you might be able to do a 7" but then it will hit the sway or be very close, or maybe try 7" no helper... If you run it inverted it will hit the swap even with the SPL end links.
Attached Images

F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 11:07 PM   #14
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
You will want a 6" if you run helpers, you might be able to do a 7" but then it will hit the sway or be very close, or maybe try 7" no helper... If you run it inverted it will hit the swap even with the SPL end links.

Thanks man my setup will include helpers. Placed the order today!
Appreciate 2
rborane240.00
sly1types426.50