R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #573
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I have never driven an F8x with cloth seats. All I know is that I sat in ones with and without full leather option... and extended leather was a deal breaker for me. On a car this nice, the full leather really transforms the interior and made its interior look and feel more comparable to the price tag. I had a 911 without full leather and I vowed never to do that again.

I am sure there are some legitimate benefits to cloth as mentioned above (comfort, temperature, etc.) but personally I think cloth makes the interior look cheaper (to my eyes) and then you add the plastic dash and surfaces everywhere and I just couldn't do it.

Full leather was the only way for me. But I suggest if possible to sit and drive both. There's no right or wrong here - just a personal decision based on how it all feels to you.
Do you have pics of the plastic dash? This is something new to me..
I ordered my F80 with full leather. So I don't have pics to show you. But most of the F8x's new or used on the lots today have the "extended" leather option which is leather seats only. If you go sit in one you can see the plastic dash etc.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #574
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

I had both CSAT cloth and full leather [seats](dealer's lot car), so I can say leather makes it easier to remove dust collected driving on the track [with windows open]. Cloth seats actually hold you better vs ZCP leather seats, so I miss those a bit.
"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #575
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

I had both black leather and cloth. I pick Cloth all day. It just looks and feels better
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      07-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #576
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Leather doesn't absorb swamp a$$ as much as cloth.
Appreciate 1
RobbyMack738.50
      07-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #577
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Had cloth on my 17 M3. Honestly for a sport build I loved it. Stayed cooler than leather which is crucial in florida heat. Looked sporty, didnt really show any wear, durability was great.

Nothing but positives from a previous cloth user by me, it was great on the F80. It also matched the carbon fiber trim quite nicely.

Never understood those that complain about "luxury" in an M3/4 which shares common interiors with a modest 3/4 series. I got the M for performance not the luxury standpoint. If luxury was of that much importance I'd be driving a M5/550 or a 7 series/S class.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 07-10-2018 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
SherM4n630.00
Prossx293.00
RobbyMack738.50
      07-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #578
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I value performance over luxury but in this case high performance seats ARE luxury to me. I love the speed cloth in my E92 M3 and I love CSAT in my F80. My E92 is now 10 years old and a click over 100K miles; the speed cloth has to this point held up extremely well, better than the leather (which I've never treated, cleaned, or conditioned). As others have pointed out carbonstructure goes surprisingly well with the CF trim even though the patterns aren't terribly similar.

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      07-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #579
Bob (Los Angeles)
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

No to cloth

I regretted cloth from the day I took it home, about two years ago, in my F80. Probably will sell the car sooner than I normally would significantly because the cloth looks and feels dated and stodgy, even though it is immaculately clean and unworn. Obviously, this is just my taste. Besides the contrary opinions in this thread, 911T’s as well as other Porsches are equipped with cloth, evidencing that cloth must to many be modern and sporty. Just not me. For me, it’s buyer’s remorse that did not fade, the cloth seats.
      07-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #580
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
Looks cheap and ugly
Definetely doesnt look ugly or cheap but maybe im biased lol i get a lot of compliments and it matches the interior carbon fiber trim but yes leather costs extra
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #581
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
These are my first cloth seats in 18 years. I was a stanch leather only supporter for a very long time. However, when I sat the the carbonstructure F80 I was blown away by how much better it felt than my leather 340i interior comfort wise. Sure, it wasn't as "luxurious" but it felt good, it holds you in place better, and it has a nice texture to it that breaks up the monotony of the interior a bit. I don't regret it at all.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #582
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatcoloristhat View Post
Definetely doesnt look ugly or cheap but maybe im biased lol i get a lot of compliments and it matches the interior carbon fiber trim but yes leather costs extra
maybe i need to see it in person
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #583
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

All M cloth is underrated until you see how they still look brand new 10 years later and then people wished they got it instead of leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #584
cookiesncream
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I've had the carbonstructure cloth in my 16 F80 M3 with 18k miles for 6 months now and it's been holding up really well. I'm interested to know how the older 15s with 50k+ miles are holding up.

And I definitely agree with the previous posts, pictures don't do the cloth justice.
      07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #585
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

2015 model, 4 years old now, 50k miles now.

Carbonstructure still looks perfect - including on the driver's seat. No wear on the cloth.

Driver's bolster started to show some wear fast - by 15k. I started using leatherique on it and moved my seat back to get in/out and it stopped wearing and looks pretty good.

Overall my entire interior looks damn near brand new.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #586
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M4 (soon)

Hello guys, i am happy to see im not the only one with this dilemma. I just ordered M4 CP and i have +- 14 days to possibly change the configuration. My goal is to make it unique with good reseeling value. Thats why i went for rare individual color (Urban green) and cloth seats. I am sure cloth is better in all ways i am just not sure it will hold its value as well as leather. I am planning to only use it as weekend car so seat material wearing out is not that much of an issue for me. Do you guys think it might actually make the car more valuable lets say after 10 years because the fact that there will be less cars with cloth seats ? I am kinda judging by myself because everytime i was looking for used bmw i basically skipped the cars with cloth seats :/ Thanks for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #587
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckM4 View Post
Hello guys, i am happy to see im not the only one with this dilemma. I just ordered M4 CP and i have +- 14 days to possibly change the configuration. My goal is to make it unique with good reseeling value. Thats why i went for rare individual color (Urban green) and cloth seats. I am sure cloth is better in all ways i am just not sure it will hold its value as well as leather. I am planning to only use it as weekend car so seat material wearing out is not that much of an issue for me. Do you guys think it might actually make the car more valuable lets say after 10 years because the fact that there will be less cars with cloth seats ? I am kinda judging by myself because everytime i was looking for used bmw i basically skipped the cars with cloth seats :/ Thanks for any suggestions.
Don't purchase for some perceived resale value because you'll likely be disappointed. Buy what you want because you want it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #588
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Don't purchase for some perceived resale value because you'll likely be disappointed. Buy what you want because you want it.
Extremely good advice and OP should heed it.

That being said, I'm partial towards cloth seats and will say in all my 20+ years of BMW ownership and forum participation, rare seat materials always command more in resale. E46 M3s with M alcantara cloth seats command much higher resale, of you can find them.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      09-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #589
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:

That being said, I'm partial towards cloth seats and will say in all my 20+ years of BMW ownership and forum participation, rare seat materials always command more in resale. E46 M3s with M alcantara cloth seats command much higher resale, of you can find them.
I loved the Speed Cloth in my '05 IB ZCP ///M3, but I was turned off to the E46's alcantara seats because the the red/blue pattern reminded me of commercial airliner seats. I just couldn't do it. The F8X's Carbon Structure seats are pretty cool, but I wanted the Full Leather dash/door treatment.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #590
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
You see that is the problem, i dont know what i want when it comes to seats i have never seen cloth seats for f82 in person and while i like the looks of it and the supposed comfort, i like leather as well for its more luxury feel. i am just looking for small pros and cons to help me decide.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #591
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for advice, it was what i was thinking. i want to keep the car strictly OEM and im also planning to keep it for many years so i want something unique in case of selling it one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #592
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You see that is the problem, i dont know what i want when it comes to seats i have never seen cloth seats for f82 in person and while i like the looks of it and the supposed comfort, i like leather as well for its more luxury feel. i am just looking for small pros and cons to help me decide.
If I were to offer you advice.....advice that should be taken with a grain of salt......go with the leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #593
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for advice, it was what i was thinking. i want to keep the car strictly OEM and im also planning to keep it for many years so i want something unique in case of selling it one day.
Unique doesn't always/traditionally sell well/easily, so again, I caution you with entering into your purchase with that mindset. After all, you're choosing an off color green potentially with cloth seats. The prospective market for potential buyers will undoubtedly be small.

Buy it because you want it. Buy it with the understanding that it may not have the perceived value to others that it has to you, and thus, may be harder to sell should you ever decide to. Only you can make the decision about whether or not cloth will be satisfactory for you. There aren't really any pros or cons; there's no right or wrong. What's a negative to one person (...leather upkeep) may not be to another person. What may be considered a cheap alternative that takes the premium out of a car like the ///M3/4 (...cloth) may be seen as a plus to a self proclaimed "purist". At the end of the day, only you know what you'll be happy driving. Listening to strangers' opinions not only keeps you from being true to yourself, but it could ultimately end up being a financial/emotional disappointment.

If resale was/is a major concern, look no further than Alpine White, Black or one of the blues......all with black leather. Your buyer's pool would be large.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #594
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

When I bought my Austin yellow M3 ZCP (full leather), there was a java green M4 ZCP and as much as I loved the Java green, there was no way in hell I’d even consider buying it - because it had cloth seats.

I see some here like cloth, but IMO, BMW is a luxury brand and every car should come with leather. But i do think BMW has the worst leather. I think the Merino leather I’ve got is no where near as nice as the leather in the Audi’s and MB’s I was looking at. I also liked the M2C, but I know I couldn’t live with the crap rubber they call Dakota leather - I had that in my 335xi and will never buy a car with that crap again.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25016.50
PhatLyfe985.00