Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #419
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
So what if you were to drive in have traffic often and or needed an option to have the car driven by your wife who does not drive stick, would u take Alfa as opposed to f80 w/DCT?
Two answers for that.

First, I would of still went BMW because I just don't trust Alfa or their US dealer network yet. Or the fact they are in it for the long haul in the US either. I felt like I was a beta tester for Ford and the Voodoo motor, I wasn't willing to do it again.

Second, just strictly car to car I would've went Alfa. It's not night and day better than my ZCP F80, but it is more dynamic and noticeably quicker in the mid range. Plus, I personally liked the interior. It was different in a good way. I still love my F80 interior and BMW does ergonomics better than anyone IMO, but I still liked the Alfa.

Hope that helps and not TL/DR
Thank you. Good points. I agree with your second point especially. Perhaps if I stick M performance exhaust into my DCT non zcp m3, I will move through mid life crisis.... btw goin to test drive 911 this weekend... will see if it is the ultimate driving machine or not....
test drove panamera 4s hatchback and it was great but the car is so insulated and everything is trying hard to say luxury when it is truly supposed to be sporty... hard to explain but the car has the potential and weight did not bother me much and I loved the air suspension but I m not spending 100k on a so so car (because it's large and heavy on spec)... I not mature enough for the panamera
      09-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #420
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
have both currently

there is another long thread on it where i shared my thoughts

cliffs - alfa has the better chassis, bmw has the better interior
Couldn't find it. Link?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #421
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Thank you. Good points. I agree with your second point especially. Perhaps if I stick M performance exhaust into my DCT non zcp m3, I will move through mid life crisis.... btw goin to test drive 911 this weekend... will see if it is the ultimate driving machine or not....
test drove panamera 4s hatchback and it was great but the car is so insulated and everything is trying hard to say luxury when it is truly supposed to be sporty... hard to explain but the car has the potential and weight did not bother me much and I loved the air suspension but I m not spending 100k on a so so car (because it's large and heavy on spec)... I not mature enough for the panamera
What are you test driving? They certainly are the ultimate driver’s car. I absolutely love mine.
Panamera is certainly a great luxury performance car but it’s no 911 or Cayman/Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #422
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
What are you test driving? They certainly are the ultimate driver’s car. I absolutely love mine.
Panamera is certainly a great luxury performance car but it’s no 911 or Cayman/Boxster.
My m3 non zcp DCT is making me to have mood swing. I like it one day, not so much the other day... so I started browsing around.
Love ZCP especially in manual but don't feel like loosing a lot of cash (on trade) and ending up with the same, basically, car.
Tried Alfa QV. It's a mix of like (engine and sound and steering and dynamics), don't like (minor exterior and interior details), and fear (reliability, ability to hold its value, maintenance cost and part availability) is a big one.
And in general it feels like getting a similar market car is like divorcing your wife and marrying her sister. Similar compromises, something is better and something worse...
So I decided to try up market. Setting my eyes on 911 T. Sat in one and honestly did not like the door pulls and other cheap weight savings elements. I really liked 911 S though. It had PDK but everything felt so right. Anyway planning a test drive of the T - one with manual and one with PDK gear box. Will take it from there... if I
Like it will be looking to get a slightly used one and call it the day.
About panamera, it was just a test drive. Asked the dealer if I can try it even though I was inquiring about 911 and he was so cool gave me the car to try. I was impressed. The most lux performance car I have driven was the current 7 series M version and Alpina version. Loved both for what they are but panamera is much much better and sportier drive. The only thing I did not like was the gear shifter. Who told them pple want this matchbox on a stick? Many cars have it these days... they should look into Alfa Romeo 4c. It has 4 buttons: drive, reverse, neutral, manual (then u used paddles).
      09-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #423
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark'sM3 View Post
So I just traded in my White QV for a YAS M3 a few weeks ago. While I did enjoy my time with the Alfa, there was just a few things that I felt could have been done better or it needed:

- 6 Speed!
- Infotainment system needs work (navi needs a lot of work, and yes, I know you can use your phone)
- Brake by Wire was "meh" and needed some time to get used to
- Fit and Finish
- Some better equipment choices (e.g. 20 Inch Wheels)

I don't track my cars so that's a whole different discussion. I wanted something different and the QV provided that. There were a couple of gremlins (dash went out; front passenger headlight cover bracket broke), but my dealer took care of those. Most QV dealer issues have involved those services departments that have the Fiat/Jeep/Dodge partnership than the Fiat/Maserati partnerships.

Here are few review threads of my car from a popular Giulia forum. Read as you see fit......

Day One:
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...pressions.html

1st 1000 Miles:
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...000-miles.html

5k:
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...qv-review.html
After reading your 5k mile review it sounded like you were going to keep that car forever. You even said you were planning on keeping it a long time. What are your top 3 gripes you think that made you switch to the M3? I am also very interested in the QV and would like to hear your opinion since you've owned a QV.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #424
Mark'sM3
Private
Rep
Drives: YAS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
After reading your 5k mile review it sounded like you were going to keep that car forever. You even said you were planning on keeping it a long time. What are your top 3 gripes you think that made you switch to the M3? I am also very interested in the QV and would like to hear your opinion since you've owned a QV.
See my responses on Page 19.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #425
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark'sM3 View Post
See my responses on Page 19.
I did read them, but those are things that you already knew going into the QV...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #426
Mark'sM3
Private
Rep
Drives: YAS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
I did read them, but those are things that you already knew going into the QV...
Actually, I did not. For that matter ever since I bought my e46 back in 2003 I haven't even considered another BMW - partly because I was simply happy with my e46 and partly because I wanted to try some of car manufacturers/models.

The F80 really felt brand new to me (of course as it should...) and I liked what I saw/felt.

That said, the QV was a terrific car and has many things going for it. If Fiat really want to stay in this market they really need a 6 speeds, a little bit better infotainment/tech, and a consistent dealer experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #427
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are you test driving? They certainly are the ultimate driver's car. I absolutely love mine.
Panamera is certainly a great luxury performance car but it's no 911 or Cayman/Boxster.
My m3 non zcp DCT is making me to have mood swing. I like it one day, not so much the other day... so I started browsing around.
Love ZCP especially in manual but don't feel like loosing a lot of cash (on trade) and ending up with the same, basically, car.
Tried Alfa QV. It's a mix of like (engine and sound and steering and dynamics), don't like (minor exterior and interior details), and fear (reliability, ability to hold its value, maintenance cost and part availability) is a big one.
And in general it feels like getting a similar market car is like divorcing your wife and marrying her sister. Similar compromises, something is better and something worse...
So I decided to try up market. Setting my eyes on 911 T. Sat in one and honestly did not like the door pulls and other cheap weight savings elements. I really liked 911 S though. It had PDK but everything felt so right. Anyway planning a test drive of the T - one with manual and one with PDK gear box. Will take it from there... if I
Like it will be looking to get a slightly used one and call it the day.
About panamera, it was just a test drive. Asked the dealer if I can try it even though I was inquiring about 911 and he was so cool gave me the car to try. I was impressed. The most lux performance car I have driven was the current 7 series M version and Alpina version. Loved both for what they are but panamera is much much better and sportier drive. The only thing I did not like was the gear shifter. Who told them pple want this matchbox on a stick? Many cars have it these days... they should look into Alfa Romeo 4c. It has 4 buttons: drive, reverse, neutral, manual (then u used paddles).
Reporting back on my 911 test. Tried three different cars: 911 T PDK, 911 4S PDK, and 911 T Manual 7-speed.
After 30 minute drive in each of the p-cars, what M3 seems to be missing for me (now that I know) is the race car feel. Yes it has some of it but it is mostly a daily car and then performance. P-car is the other way around. My next project will be to get the 911.

Now out of those I drove, I liked the T with PDK the most. And trust me I wanted to love the manual but that gear box and clutch did not sing to me. I come from BMW E90 6-speed which I loved; the p-manual is weird. I m sure I can get used to it but sounds like it would be like getting what other pple want and not what I really liked. I am actually disappointed as I wanted manual real bad....

Anyway, my feedback on 911s - the best engine is S, the best seats are 18 way (though basic fabric seats are fine), best gearbox is PDK, and best platform is RWD.

Best option is rear wheel steering. One of the cars had it but I didn't know. When I asked the dealer how two same cars can feel so different, he said it was this option. I loved the car with this option the most.

About sound system, Porsche has optional systems but it is so loud inside (from road noise) that I cannot understand how can one hear anything but the road and engine. 4s was quieter because T has less of insulation but still a race car is a race car.
///Mobbin1478.00
      09-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #428
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Reporting back on my 911 test. Tried three different cars: 911 T PDK, 911 4S PDK, and 911 T Manual 7-speed.
After 30 minute drive in each of the p-cars, what M3 seems to be missing for me (now that I know) is the race car feel. Yes it has some of it but it is mostly a daily car and then performance. P-car is the other way around. My next project will be to get the 911.

Now out of those I drove, I liked the T with PDK the most. And trust me I wanted to love the manual but that gear box and clutch did not sing to me. I come from BMW E90 6-speed which I loved; the p-manual is weird. I m sure I can get used to it but sounds like it would be like getting what other pple want and not what I really liked. I am actually disappointed as I wanted manual real bad....

Anyway, my feedback on 911s - the best engine is S, the best seats are 18 way (though basic fabric seats are fine), best gearbox is PDK, and best platform is RWD.

Best option is rear wheel steering. One of the cars had it but I didn't know. When I asked the dealer how two same cars can feel so different, he said it was this option. I loved the car with this option the most.

About sound system, Porsche has optional systems but it is so loud inside (from road noise) that I cannot understand how can one hear anything but the road and engine. 4s was quieter because T has less of insulation but still a race car is a race car.
Once you drive them, you realize now much more dynamic the Porsches are.

PDK is simply the best dual clutch, however, on the T I prefer the manual bc part of the special-ness of the T is that you get shorter gear ratios with the NA ul.

My 991.2S has the sport package (rear wheel steering is part of it) and it is truly something great. I like the 7 speed manual but will say as good as it is (takes some getting used to) I prefer the 6 speed in my 718 GTS.

I think with any sporting car, especially a 911 which only weighs 3200-3300 lbs that you can expect more road noise but I never though it took away from the great sounds of the flat 6.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #429
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Once you drive them, you realize now much more dynamic the Porsches are.

PDK is simply the best dual clutch, however, on the T I prefer the manual bc part of the special-ness of the T is that you get shorter gear ratios with the NA ul.

My 991.2S has the sport package (rear wheel steering is part of it) and it is truly something great. I like the 7 speed manual but will say as good as it is (takes some getting used to) I prefer the 6 speed in my 718 GTS.

I think with any sporting car, especially a 911 which only weighs 3200-3300 lbs that you can expect more road noise but I never though it took away from the great sounds of the flat 6.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      09-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #430
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

car and driver's update on their QV. No surprise, issues, need new diff, service department is booked, out of service for at least a month.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ability-update

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
M-Pilot4859.00
      09-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #431
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

While we are off topic, where is the review you owe all of us of the cs?

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #432
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
car and driver's update on their QV. No surprise, issues, need new diff, service department is booked, out of service for at least a month.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ability-update
QV spent a month in the shop at 10,000 miles . . . my M3 has spent the last month in the garage so which makes more sense? A car that is a joy to drive but may spend a month in the shop over a year or two or a car that feels sterile, disconnected, twitchy and candidly is not a joy to drive so it never leaves the garage? Add to that the absolute pitiful resell market and neither car is particularly a winner.

I have my 2017 F80 ZCP with manual transmission down to $55,795 and nada. No activity at all, not even any inquiries
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #433
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
While we are off topic, where is the review you owe all of us of the cs?
Have a look in my main thread. There are detailed initial impressions and results from my first track day

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1533482

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-27-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
dkhm31881.50
      09-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #434
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
QV spent a month in the shop at 10,000 miles . . . my M3 has spent the last month in the garage so which makes more sense? A car that is a joy to drive but may spend a month in the shop over a year or two or a car that feels sterile, disconnected, twitchy and candidly is not a joy to drive so it never leaves the garage? Add to that the absolute pitiful resell market and neither car is particularly a winner.

I have my 2017 F80 ZCP with manual transmission down to $55,795 and nada. No activity at all, not even any inquiries
I think you are comparing the f8x to a 911, to which I would say yes, it sucks donkey balls.

btw, I look in rennlist classifieds and also save 991 911's in my favorites on cars.com all the time - and they usually sit sit sit, with exception of low mileage gt3's.

Previously:
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      09-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #435
SonicJlee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post

Now that I've had my 2018 Giulia QV for a month alongside my 2016 F80 with comp pack, I now find myself gravitating towards the Giulia - for me, it is more fun of the two. I still prefer the look of the F80 interior (my car has golden brown leather, M performance digital steering wheel, carbon fiber shift knob and surround, carbon fiber parking brake handle, and aluminum pedals which makes it a little more special). However, I much prefer the seating position and pedal placement of the Giulia. Regarding resale, I think BMW produced too many F80s towards the end of production which is impacting used prices at this time. Resale value should improve once the new inventory clears (also will depend on rate of off lease cars entering the used market). Pricing of used 2017 Giulia QVs is promising but time will tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
minn1914034.50
mcc3456332.00
AlexN171.50
      09-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #436
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Part of the problem with the complexity of modern cars is that if they cannot diagnose an issue or odd sound, they sometimes just replace the entire component rather than trying to repair it. For example, BMW and Porsche replacing entire dual clutch transmissions if something is even suspected of being wrong.

In this case, the article never stated whether there was anything wrong with the rear diff. And fuel pump... yeah, bmw never had a problem with those. I went through 3 of them in 10k miles with the N54. It seems that every manufacturer except Alfa that has teething issues or major recalls gets a pass by the public. But in any case, there is no excuse to be waiting a month to get your car back, I surely hope that I never have to deal with this. Only solitude I have is that my dealer is also a Maserati and Cadillac dealer so hopefully no Chrysler for me.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      09-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #437
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Part of the problem with the complexity of modern cars is that if they cannot diagnose an issue or odd sound, they sometimes just replace the entire component rather than trying to repair it. For example, BMW and Porsche replacing entire dual clutch transmissions if something is even suspected of being wrong.

In this case, the article never stated whether there was anything wrong with the rear diff. And fuel pump... yeah, bmw never had a problem with those. I went through 3 of them in 10k miles with the N54. It seems that every manufacturer except Alfa that has teething issues or major recalls gets a pass by the public. But in any case, there is no excuse to be waiting a month to get your car back, I surely hope that I never have to deal with this. Only solitude I have is that my dealer is also a Maserati and Cadillac dealer so hopefully no Chrysler for me.
15k+ miles and 19 months of driving bliss here so far. Still only been in the shop once just for an oil change at 10k. However, I tend not to carelessly beat the living shit out of my Quadrifoglio like the magazines do, so naturally, the car has performed even better than expected.

The only issue I’ve ever experienced was my preset radio stations randomly getting erased once, plus I am now ready for a fresh set of tires. Unless Michelin starts making the new 4s in my size, I see no reason to not get another set of Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires. They are amazing and I don’t want to do anything to disrupt the Alfas amazing road feel. Other than that, it’s been absolutely flawless during my ownership.

Last edited by mcc3456; 09-27-2018 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #438
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
The car is JUNK and the front is hideous!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #439
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbnsx View Post
The car is JUNK and the front is hideous!
Lol! Tell us how you really feel.

I met a guy in the parking lot of my office and after talking for a a while the other day he offered and let let me drive his QV. I offered him a turn in my new F80 but he passed, saying he had a 15 nom-ZCP so he felt he knew the car.

I had been watching head to head reviews of the QV against you name it on YouTube for the last week and everyone gushed about the car, so I was psyched to get a chance to drive one.

Ferrari engine, braking, suspension, ZF transmission and exhaust note are awesome. I prefer manual but the way the car downshifted in particular and the acceleration is impressive.

Yes the interior and idrive is kinda meh but that is not why you buy this car. Also, the car is more in the size of an E90 so I felt it was a little small but that was not an issue for me. Cockpit was actually comfy overall I just prefer the F30/80 size overall.

However, the one thing I thought did not live up to the hype was the steering. All the commentators raved about the steering. I thought it was a little soft in "race mode" compared to my F80 in sport. Then it hit me. Most of the commentators seem to be 35 or under. They really don't like hydrolic steering and therefore anything which approximates it is not going to be well received.

So I liked the QV, but I would not trade one for my F80 ZCP because of the steering. The steering is a deal breaker.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #440
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

QV used car price is dropping like a rock the last three months. I can get a 2017 loaded one with 10k miles for mid $50's now. If it drops below $50's, I will trade consider to trade my 16's F82. A lot more fun to drive and very "tossable". F82 is nicer looking but it is too bloated.
Appreciate 0