R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-04-2017, 05:27 AM   #67
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

To be fair I know of friends who got severe gearbox problems on their Porsche GT4. It seems first modells was fine. That I had and track alot no Issue. But GT4 cars produced after 2016 do have pleny of problems due to some change in the gearbox. My GT4 was made 2015, and was fine.

This have effected many of my friend driving GT4 on track.

To be fair, all cars got their problems, plenty on Porsche GT4 gearbox as I understand.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 11-04-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #68
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
To be fair I know of friends who got severe gearbox problems on their Porsche GT4. It seems first modells was fine. That I had and track alot no Issue. But GT4 cars produced 2016 do have pleny of problems due to some change in the gearbox. This have effected many of my friend driving GT4 on track.

To be fair, all cars got their problems, plenyt on Porsche GT4 gearbox as I understand.
This is a bizarre statement from someone either obsessed about Porsche or just having a peculiar thought process.

Whether Porsche GT4s have gear box problems on a race track matters little . . . okay none, matters zilch . . . regarding whether the entire Alfa brand launch has been a complete bust, almost all of them come back with issues, no one wants them and they are stock piling at dealerships.

Alfies are being sold as daily drivers. Big difference in some poor sap buying a $45k Alfie as only car that cannot stay out of the shop versus some rich dude's track car having an issue on the track . . ., but again is totally irrelevant as to why Alfas are now just sitting and accumulating on lots.

By all means, please put your money where your mouth is and buy one. They need to move some units to perhaps remain viable.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 11-04-2017 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #69
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Angry much? We hear you, It seems you are personaly effected as you mention them close to you invested and you might see thing from an other angle. We hear you, Alfa is crap. Still I might buy It, and others could also consider a stelvio jeep? My friend like that jeep accually:-) What do I know, Alfa could accually be a pyramid trick game..

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 11-04-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #70
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Angry much? We hear you, It seems you are personaly effected as you mention them close to you invested and you might see thing from an other angle. We hear you, Alfa is crap. Still I might buy It, and others could also consider a stelvio jeeb? My friend like that jeep accually:-) What do I know, Alfa could accually be a pyramid trick game..
Lol, it does come across that way in black and white, but come on . . . discussing the GT4 in this context was a bit a bit silly and I certainly am not doing anything to help their cause even if family and friends have stake in the brand. Just being honest here.

Alfa Romeo started out getting a fair amount of traffic. That is all but gone and it certainly could have been an effort to saturate the market quickly and sell the brand. Problem is, they saturated dealers, not the market.

The Stelvio thing though is hilarious. More and more just keep showing up and they don't have any place to park them . . . It is like a sea of Stelvios about 4 or 5 deep in an rea meant to be only one deep and it would take probably 30 minutes to get to the ones toward the back. You would have to see the picture to appreciate it. Funny, but sad at the same time and yet they still keep showing up.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #71
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I think adding a better/longer warranty would have been a wiser marketing move. Much like Audi did to help people forget how bad their cars used to be years ago.
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #72
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Your either delusional or just very dishonest.

At one point, every single Guillia they sold had come back at least once for issues. Some multiple times. That was 2 months ago after 7 months of selling the brand. No one is purchasing them because they suck, already have a horrible reliability track record and one can get into a comparable Audi, BMW or Mercedes cheaper. They have new lease deals and . . . crickets. No one cares.

You don't think a Lotus is a niche car? It is much more expensive than the 4C and they cannot keep them in stock. Look, they sell way more Vanquish and DB11s than the single 4C they have sold and a 4C is only about $67,000 before discount. No one wants them.

You can be a delusional Alfie fanboi cheerleader all you want, but the reality is the brand is a severe bust and it actually kind of sucks as I have friends and family heavily invested in the brand at two different dealerships . . . more keep showing up, no one wants them and it is almost comical how many there are now with no place to park them. I had hoped they would do better. They started out selling okay and getting some traffic, but has virtually dropped off to zero. Lol, Ghibilis are out selling them for crying out loud.
I get it, you’re well documented Alfa hater, and that’s your choice, but if you are claiming the Maserati Ghibli is outselling Giulia, or the Lotus is outselling the 4C, then you are factually incorrect. The numbers are pretty objective. As an aside, there nearly 2 Evora 400s in stock per Lotus dealer vs only 1 4C/4C Spider per Alfa dealer. Let’s also appreciate that the extremely niche Alfa 4C is not a direct competitor to the 50% more expensive, heavier, 2+2, daily driver Lotus. I actually love the Lotus, but it’s definitely targeted towards a different audience. The only thing they have in common is two doors, four wheels, and a steering wheel.

I can’t speak for your specific dealership dynamics down where you are, but Alfas are not repeatedly breaking down as you claim. That is complete BS misinformation. Very few have come back into our local dealerships for service, other than for normal software updates. No fire risk recalls here. Not sure why you feel the need to talk down such a fantastic car with your extremely negative attitude, but your unyielding glass half empty attitude certainly speaks volumes.

Last edited by mcc3456; 11-04-2017 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #73
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

My M4 GTS got 2 year warranty, as I recall Alfa got 3 year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I think adding a better/longer warranty would have been a wiser marketing move. Much like Audi did to help people forget how bad their cars used to be years ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #74
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

I accually asked my Alfa dealer If It was any warranty claims done to that car I was Looking at, Its almost one year old. Nothing done in terms of warranty, only softwear update.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      11-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #75
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
I accually asked my Alfa dealer If It was any warranty claims done to that car I was Looking at, Its almost one year old. Nothing done in terms of warranty, only softwear update.
That’s the reality of the situation for most Alfa Giulia owners.

I can’t even begin to share some of the dumb new Giulia owner complaints about things that were working exactly as they are designed to work, but clearly they did not read the owner’s manual.

I also saw another guy complain about a mechanical issue (leaking oil) when the undercar photographs clearly show he drove completely over a large stone or parking curb damaging the underneath aero dynamics (1 Sq Ft piece missing) and thereby damaging the oil pan. Stupid but true. If a person has half a brain, the car is extremely reliable.

Don’t believe the negative hype perpetuated by the BMW crowd these days. They tend to feel very threatened by anything equal to or better than their own cars. In fact, I just saw a guy post on a M3 vs Lamborghini Huracan thread that he thought his M4 was better after driving the Lamborghini.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #76
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

I considered the QV until I realized that there is no manual transmission offered in North America.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #77
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
I considered the QV until I realized that there is no manual transmission offered in North America.
I agree but I do remember one of the test drive reviews were in a 6MT.

I'm still not sure I would have made the jump with limited network for service (and also because I love my current 6MT).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #78
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I don’t really care for the looks of the Alfa - the headlights seem squinty or something, and I don’t like the shape of the grill. The wheels are also too small, the the clover (racing heritage aside) looks like an afterthought.

In conjunction with the reliability question, there’s also not nearly enough dealers in the US to make you comfortable that you could get quick service if you did indeed have a problem. The closest one to me is almost 40 miles away. I think there are 5 BMW dealers that I would pass before getting to the one Alfa dealer. Given that they’ve not been in the US for more than 30 years, who the hell would even be working on your car? What kind of experience could they possibly have? It wouldn’t make me feel great about leaving my 80k car there...
      11-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #79
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

I am in the minority here, but I think it's absolutely hideous. Sounds like a diesel truck, and just does not get me excited at all. Could care less how fast it is on the track.

You know what's the worse part about the Alfa, for me? The Fanboys !... Every comparison or video of the Alfa mentions how it's the "best car in the world" and the C63 and especially the M3, is garbage.

I6 DCT > V6 Auto. Also, the engine is not "Ferrari derived" just because it's Italian. It's like saying the VW Jetta has a "German derived" engine. Just because it's Italian does not mean it's Ferrari.

If a Hyundai is engineered by an ex-M engineer, it does not make that Hyundai an "M".

The Alfa is incredibly overrated and hyped up. End rant/

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp

Last edited by doberzus; 11-05-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttruong92215.00
      11-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #80
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
But you have to sell the cars in order to have warranty claims.

In the US, only 37 Giulia were sold in 2016. In 2017, Giulia sales were:

January 70
February 412
March 484
April 634
May 883
June 992
July 1.104
August 916
September 916
October 726

That's 7,137 cars in 2017. Add the 37 sold in 2016, you get 7,174 Giulia ever sold in all of US. That's not a lot.

I don't have the breakdown but I'd imagine only a small fraction of that is QV sales, and then you divide that number by the # of dealers and it's likely your dealer has sold very few QV's. Thus, the # of warranty claims per dealer is going to be low, and in some cases could even be zero, poor reliability notwithstanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #81
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what AR classifies as "software update" or the reasons why Guilias show up at service departments on flatbeds, but it perhaps matters little to the owners whether it is electronics or a part failure when they are stranded on the side of the road because their car died or stuck somewhere because their car will not start.

MC3456:

RE: "Hater"

Perhaps my standards and expectation are a bit high when it comes to cars because I am a car guy blessed with the ability to drive, race and own a lot of nice cars throughout the yeas.

I posted pictures and comments after taking 2 QVs out and flogging the heck out of them. My comments were then generally positive about the QV for its price. My comments now relate to dropping sales and challenges to keep them running.

RE: Inventory levels

You cannot base sales numbers on how many cars are listed on cars.com or the internet. Dealers could have 4 or 5 4Cs, but only have 2 listed (know this as fact) and there could be Evoras and 4Cs listed that have already been sold, but ad is not taken down. Number of dealerships and allocation is also a factor if trying to determine current nationwide inventory based on average units per franchise.

Evora sells right now are surprising strong. Sadly, 4Cs continue to sit. I think the 4C is a cool looking car and I would definitely classify it in the exact same market as an Evora, except it is cheaper.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 11-05-2017 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #82
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
I6 DCT > V6 Auto. Also, the engine is not "Ferrari derived" just because it's Italian.
You're right, it's not just because it's Italian, it's because it's (for the most part) Ferrari's F154 minus two cylinders.

Regardless, I didn't get one because I was afraid it would have too many first year and ongoing issues. Not regretting it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #83
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
You're right, it's not just because it's Italian, it's because it's (for the most part) Ferrari's F154 minus two cylinders.

Regardless, I didn't get one because I was afraid it would have too many first year and ongoing issues. Not regretting it.
I get it, I am not a fan of many components of the Alfa.

I regret not getting a ZL1 over my Hellcat... should have waited

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #84
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

At least it can be had in normal colors like red. I live near an Alfa dealer and might have given it a shot if a coupe version were available. I would rather have a DCT than a slush box also.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #85
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

This paricullary car is taken out to traffick / registration 2017 in feb and Its since then driven ap. 12000km, during that time they made no warranty claims but some updat of softweare as I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
But you have to sell the cars in order to have warranty claims.

In the US, only 37 Giulia were sold in 2016. In 2017, Giulia sales were:

January 70
February 412
March 484
April 634
May 883
June 992
July 1.104
August 916
September 916
October 726

That's 7,137 cars in 2017. Add the 37 sold in 2016, you get 7,174 Giulia ever sold in all of US. That's not a lot.

I don't have the breakdown but I'd imagine only a small fraction of that is QV sales, and then you divide that number by the # of dealers and it's likely your dealer has sold very few QV's. Thus, the # of warranty claims per dealer is going to be low, and in some cases could even be zero, poor reliability notwithstanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #86
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
I am in the minority here, but I think it's absolutely hideous. Sounds like a diesel truck, and just does not get me excited at all. Could care less how fast it is on the track.

You know what's the worse part about the Alfa, for me? The Fanboys !... Every comparison or video of the Alfa mentions how it's the "best car in the world" and the C63 and especially the M3, is garbage.

I6 DCT > V6 Auto. Also, the engine is not "Ferrari derived" just because it's Italian. It's like saying the VW Jetta has a "German derived" engine. Just because it's Italian does not mean it's Ferrari.

If a Hyundai is engineered by an ex-M engineer, it does not make that Hyundai an "M".

The Alfa is incredibly overrated and hyped up. End rant/
The engine in the QV is indeed derived from a Ferrari engine. It is the California's V8 with 2 cylinders truncated off.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #87
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

What about the transmission and other components? I thought i read somewhere that the QV shares more than just the engine from Ferrari's. If thats the case, that's gotta be a big plus for the QV.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #88
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
What about the transmission and other components? I thought i read somewhere that the QV shares more than just the engine from Ferrari's. If thats the case, that's gotta be a big plus for the QV.
Nope. It would’ve been huge if they use ferrari gearbox. Instead they use zf 8speed thats in every dam car these days. Its good gearbox though.
Guess shifter on steering looks ferrari ish. Really the engine is only ferrari derived..
Appreciate 0