Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #23
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman View Post
Don't worry I already searched and found many thread, but just did not want to highjacked someone's else thread.
Don't worry, the mods will likely combine this with one of the other threads. Bottom line, almost everyone who has it is going to tell you to get the ZCP and those who chose not to oder it are going to tell you not to get it...based on their needs/wants. If you can, check out/drive one of each. For me (my need/wants) the totality of the package (cosmetic stuff, exhaust sound, handling tweaks) made it a no-brainer. Not sure for you.

My only real advice is to get it if you think you'll regret it if you don't. No sense having regret be any part of a $75K car-buying experience.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #24
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Two options which are a total waste of money include.... the 5k competition pack and the 3-4K exec package.

The 5k competition package includes; heavy ass 20's with not so amazing 285 rear tires, holes in the seats, m stripe on seat belts, extra hp so it's not slower than the regular one.

The overpriced Exec package includes free leather (not bad), backup camera with front and rear sensors, heated steering wheel.

I would just get leather and 19s for sure.
You forgot about the new dampers, anti-roll bars, springs and the reprogrammed differential and EDC modes.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #25
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
Quote:
Two options which are a total waste of money include.... the 5k competition pack and the 3-4K exec package.

The 5k competition package includes; heavy ass 20's with not so amazing 285 rear tires, holes in the seats, m stripe on seat belts, extra hp so it's not slower than the regular one.

The overpriced Exec package includes free leather (not bad), backup camera with front and rear sensors, heated steering wheel.

You forgot about the new dampers, anti-roll bars, springs and the reprogrammed differential and EDC modes.
I'm pretty sure the dampers/EDC are pretty much the same and the springs only slightly stiffer.

The EDC is only updated to cope with rougher/harsher/heavier 20s with a thin 30 profile sidewall. Which is why I think they're the pretty much the same.

Gotta love the anti roll bars though.
      01-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #26
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
I already ordered my M3 2017 without it, but I check the M adjustable dampers. Now I'm wondering if I should not add it to the list.

The seats are different, but their look is similar.....are they so different ? I prefer the 19's wheels from the base model (we don't have 18's in Canada), and I could accommodate the extra power.

Other that that, what are the main difference between comp package and standard ? I'm also afraid of the car's stiffness on our beautiful Canadian road, full of holes.....Since it's my daily driver for all seasons, I don't want to hate the car because it's too stiff on public road. My previous ride was an Audi S4 2014....

Help !!
When did you order? You got the allocation?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #28
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:

I disagree on the executive package. It also includes the HUD which, once you've gotten used to it, becomes a must have. And a back up camera is a also a must have (it's law next year). If I could have added those two for $1500 I would have. But unfortunately bulky packages have become the norm
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #29
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
I disagree on the executive package. It also includes the HUD which, once you've gotten used to it, becomes a must have. And a back up camera is a also a must have (it's law next year). If I could have added those two for $1500 I would have. But unfortunately bulky packages have become the norm
OP is in Canada?

Executive package here is $5,000 and includes:
- Active LED headlights $2000 option otherwise
- Garage door opener $250 option otherwise
- Surround view top and side cameras
- rear electric shade (da fuq?)
- manual side shades (okayyy)
- FULL LEATHER - Want

I want the full leather but for $3000 it was not worth it. I kept the solo $2000 LED headlights option.

I got the competition package though - $6500. Why:
- I'm looking forward to suspension upgrades
- An exhaust that burbles is an absolute must
- I like the seats
- I was going to get grills anyways which is almost $500
So I see $6,500 as $6,500 less $900 adaptive suspension which I was going to get less $600 kidney grills + side vent grills = $5,000. I was going to replace the exhaust so this saves me that hassle, which otherwise would have been Remus at about $4,000 CAD. Finally I can sell the wheels if need be for VFF103s!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #30
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Take it from a guy who initially did not like the ZCP wheels. They take the look to another level. Plus the exhaust is a nice to have as well. Seats do lack lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #31
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I think the competition package, as always, is a worthy upgrade. But seriously, think about a couple years down the road when your back fat starts hanging out of those sleek cutouts and you grow some back boobs.

Not worth it man. Not worth it.
Agreed lol. Would get the ZCP if I could exchange those seats for the normal ones or those BMW performance ones. I'm already a slim dude and I need all the back fat I can keep
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #32
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbret View Post
It is totally worth it to me and I am glad I have it. Some love it, some hate it, some think the wheels are ugly others love them. To me it's perfect. Is the ride rough? Yes. But I'm only 46 with a healthy back so the stiff suspension is fine with me, same with the seats. It really comes down to personal preference and if you can afford to check the box....
YMMV.....
Agree except for the rough ride part. Mine rides just fine in Sport, hate the comfort setting, too bouncy.

My back isn't great but too much lumbar support causes me problems. I use a little my wife's X3 and it seems comparable to ZCP. ZCP has more support than the fully deflated regular seat IMHO.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #33
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I think the competition package, as always, is a worthy upgrade. But seriously, think about a couple years down the road when your back fat starts hanging out of those sleek cutouts and you grow some back boobs.

Not worth it man. Not worth it.

Back Boobs? That's disgusting
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #34
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the dampers/EDC are pretty much the same and the springs only slightly stiffer.

The EDC is only updated to cope with rougher/harsher/heavier 20s with a thin 30 profile sidewall. Which is why I think they're the pretty much the same.

Gotta love the anti roll bars though.
It's quite a bit more than just springs, and compared to the E92 CP the changes are rather substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Summary:
  • Power output: 444 HP
  • 0-60 DCT: 3.8 seconds (sedan/coupe), 4.1 seconds (convertible)
  • Tuned Adaptive M Suspension
  • New Springs
  • New Dampers
  • New Anti-Roll Bars
  • Reconfigured driving modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+)
  • Reconfigured Active M Differential and DSC Dynamic Stability Control
  • Forged, machine-polished, weight-and rigidity-optimized, multi-spoke 20-inch M alloy wheels (front 9J ×20; rear10 J ×20) Mixed tires sizes (front: 265/30 R20, rear: 285/30 R20)
  • Special lightweight M sports seats
  • Seatbelts with woven-in BMW M stripes cap
  • M sports exhaust system with black chrome tailpipes
  • BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior trim
  • High-gloss Black finish on the BMW kidney grille, the side gills and the model badge on the tail
  • $5500 for sedan/coupe, $5000 for convertible
M6-Coupe1124.50
      01-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #35
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp.

Omg Get It! Please!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #36
mray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GLC63AMGs, Mclaren 570s

Get it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #37
onetrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMBM3,CCB,6MT,Exec,Lgt,FL

Can you get comp pkg with standard seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #38
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Do it! Do it now!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #39
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Quote:
The Canadian website is so overdue.....there's a lack of informations about option, the price have been adjusted juste last week for the 2017 model year, and the 2016 model is still listed there....why's that ?

Anyway are you sure about the possibility of having the black 20's ? I've never found any picture of these.....

BTW my M will be Yas Marina Blue.....with orange seats
The black 666 were just announced for the 2017 lci on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #40
speed2th
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2017 M3 CZP

My wife felt the car is too stiff to ride at the back seat, even in the comfort mode. The exhaust sounds very good (louder than standard). I love the seat because my back stay cool as I am driving. Btw The style 666m wheels, msrp is $1130 each. I think the package really makes the car standard out from other standard m3
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #41
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Didn't have it on my 2015 and have it on my new one,

Genuinely shocked at the seats, used to get a bad back after 45 minutes or more, not in the comp seats, not even "numb bum" they are firm for sure but extremely comfortable.

I was one of the biggest 666 haters, now I can't get enough of them. They really do look special in person and especially when you see them moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #42
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

My take on the CP

Maybe a somewhat 'alternative' take on the CP

Overall, the differences between CP and non-CP are mainly apparent when driving winding roads in a 'spirited' manner. You'll notice greater precision, faster turn in, less body roll, greater ability to finely adjust lines, less drama when getting on the throttle out of bends etc. For example, in a CP car the transition to oversteer simply feels like your line is getting tighter and you need less lock....no drama whatsoever.

Suspension feels taught and 'refined'. There's a huge difference between that and 'harsh'. If you want a graphic demonstration of the difference try any BMW with non adaptive M-sport suspension and run-flat tyres. Choppy and harsh. The CP M3/M4 feels altogether better damped and more 'sophisticated', giving you more control at higher velocities. Personally I prefer 'Sport' vs 'Comfort', unless I have passengers

Unlike many magazine commentators, I liked the standard M3/M4 exhaust. I like the CP exhaust a lot more.

The suspension is tuned for the 20" wheels, which are lighter than the 19s, so its not the same as fitting larger, heavier after-market 20" rims to a car designed for 19" rims and tyres, which will usually make the ride somewhat harsher. The wider tyres do make a little more road noise, but that is only an issue when driving with passengers and having a conversation. By yourself you're either listening to the exhaust or to some great 'tunes' on the ICES

Personally I like the way the wheels look but they are a bit of a faff to clean. Better get a couple of wheel brushes if you drive a car with 666s. There are wheels in the BMW range I like more but taken together with the rest of the car, the 666s are fine (again IMO)

Seats. The CP seats have non-adjustable lumbar support. I don't know about you, but I always feel like the adjustable LS is poking me in the back and can never seem to find the perfect adjustment. I go back and forth and usually end up leaving it just at the point I can't feel it. My back isn't great and I've had a lot of problems with some previous cars but the CP seats just work for me. Comfortable from the onset with plenty of support. And they look absolutely great IMO.

One of my favourite all-time cars was the Z4M. I loved the way it just flowed down a road, cornered flat and responded brilliantly to driver input, with an exhaust tone that perfectly reflected its highly tuned engine. As James May of Top Gear puts it, some cars just make you 'fizz'. The Z4M was one of those cars. The chassis and handling were confidence inspiring and the whole car was a joy to drive. True Freude am Fahren. For me, CP takes the M3/M4 in that direction. It raises the cars' limits while making them more fun to drive in a spirited fashion. If you mainly cruise freeways and straight- as-a-die main roads, you really won't find any performance benefits, which only leaves cosmetics, but if like me you love driving and have roads that are genuinely fun to drive, you'll love what the CP does. In a nutshell, CP add a dose more 'M'mmmmm to the M3 and 4

Last edited by SteveC; 01-24-2017 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 8
Biorin2784.50
bloke7957.00
GrussGott18116.50
IM2C2066.50
Gertsee51.00
      01-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #43
seaman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2017

Well guy, in french we have an expression that said: "la nuit porte conseil", which means the night gives good advice....

I decide to check the competition package and will call my seller today. I hope it's not too late, but still have not received any VIN or upgrade on my order yet. I cross my finger....

Here's my point of view: in case I find the 20's too stiff for our road here, I can always buy a set of OEM 19's and sell the 20's. I'm sure I can find easily someone interested in.....even the front seats probably can be swap with the base seats.....if necessary.

But if I decide to not take it....and regret it later next summer, there's nothing I can do to have the dealer to install it.

Thanks to all for your precious advices, it's appreciated
      01-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #44
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Well guy, in french we have an expression that said: "la nuit porte conseil", which means the night gives good advice....

I decide to check the competition package and will call my seller today. I hope it's not too late, but still have not received any VIN or upgrade on my order yet. I cross my finger....

Here's my point of view: in case I find the 20's too stiff for our road here, I can always buy a set of OEM 19's and sell the 20's. I'm sure I can find easily someone interested in.....even the front seats probably can be swap with the base seats.....if necessary.

But if I decide to not take it....and regret it later next summer, there's nothing I can do to have the dealer to install it.

Thanks to all for your precious advices, it's appreciated
You can spec the CP with the black 19's now!
Appreciate 0