R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #1101
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Dude come on. ZCP makes the F80/82 a totally different/brand new car.

Everyone knows this!
Everyone knows this but me!
And me. I was being a sarcastic douche
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #1102
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
But what's our opinion against hundreds of others.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #1103
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
But what's our opinion against hundreds of others.
The correct one. Haha
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #1104
eRocks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 AW/MT/ZCP

I originally ordered an F80 without the ZCP. When it came in, it had some damage and I declined delivery after they didn't handle the repair correctly. So I went found a similar spec car. The one I found had everything I wanted plus the ZCP. It was a blessing in disguise because I LOVE everything about the ZCP. The exhaust note, the suspension, the wheels (the black 666ms), and of course the idea of the extra power. If you have the choice, get the ZCP, you will kick yourself if you don't.
Appreciate 1
shay2nak1070.00
      09-22-2018, 02:17 AM   #1105
jhonggggg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Just got one, totally worth it!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #1106
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

I love the torque delivery of my '18 ZCP M3.

At first I didn't want the 20" 666 wheels because of ride quality concerns but now I am really glad I went with the 666 and the 19's. They are the best looking M3 wheels to date IMO when you put them next to the 19' there is just no comparison. they just look unique, sophisticated and light, the 19's look like any other car. The ride isn't bad at all with the suspension set to comfort, drove over pot holes speed bump etc. yes you can feel it but not bad at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #1107
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
I love the torque delivery of my '18 ZCP M3.

At first I didn't want the 20" 666 wheels because of ride quality concerns but now I am really glad I went with the 666 and the 19's. They are the best looking M3 wheels to date IMO when you put them next to the 19' there is just no comparison. they just look unique, sophisticated and light, the 19's look like any other car. The ride isn't bad at all with the suspension set to comfort, drove over pot holes speed bump etc. yes you can feel it but not bad at all.
My ZCP is equipped with 19' 437's, wasn't sold on the 666'ers because of the obvious...20 inches. Although aesthetically they have grown on me, especially the black. Please stop trashing my 437"s
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #1108
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
My ZCP is equipped with 19' 437's, wasn't sold on the 666'ers because of the obvious...20 inches. Although aesthetically they have grown on me, especially the black. Please stop trashing my 437"s
My M4 ZCP is equipped with 437s as well. I don't like the look of 20" rims, I don't like the way 20" rims ride or drive and I don't particularly like the looks of the 666s. But there are obviously many who like 20" rims and the 666s and I am glad the BMW gives us choices.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #1109
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

The market has spoken.

The diamond gray/black triple 6s are some of highest in demand BMW OEM wheels I've ever run across so to cast aspersion claiming it's a "heavy" wheel is pure ignorance because it isn't. It's about being light and strong via legit forging both of which BMW/Fuchs has achieved and delivered. Even Porsche 991 GT3 wheels are in a similar weight range.

It's just too bad there's no easy way to quantify stiffness/strength to the plebeians who struggle with even elementary knowledge.
      09-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #1110
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The market has spoken.

The diamond gray/black triple 6s are some of highest in demand BMW OEM wheels I've ever run across so to cast aspersion claiming it's a "heavy" wheel is pure ignorance because it isn't. It's about being light and strong via legit forging both of which BMW/Fuchs has achieved and delivered. Even Porsche 991 GT3 wheels are in a similar weight range.

It's just too bad there's no easy way to quantify stiffness/strength to the plebeians who struggle with even elementary knowledge.
The 666 is heavier than the 437.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #1111
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The dark 666s are one of the most high end/crisp/original wheel designs ever to exist. They change the look of the car entirely. The F80 is a big car with big wheel wells and so it needs big wheels to look balanced - the 19s just make the cut here but barely.

You may not like them, which I get, but the car pops way harder in the flesh than it does with the very subdued, yet handsome, 437s. The ride quality IS pretty borderline with the 666s, though. There is no way I could live with them if we had bad roads. Even city/rough side streets are bad. Can't imagine the 437s being MUCH better but no doubt it's notable. I drove a car with the 18s and it was pretty good in the comfort department but it looked positively plain-jane. Non-starter for me.

But I will say that the traction and response of the ZCP/666/OE PSS setup is incredible. I can fling this thing down a tight canyon run, using 100% of the motor in MDM mode and the car has virtually no slip from either end. And the response to steering inputs is sublime - the car reacts immediately and defines "on rails" with absolutely zero front/rear phase delay. It is SO GOOD.

Last edited by EricSMG; 09-23-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
shay2nak1070.00
      09-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #1112
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
The dark 666s are one of the most high end/crisp/original wheel designs ever to exist. They change the look of the car entirely. The F80 is a big car with big wheel wells and so it needs big wheels to look balanced - the 19s just make the cut here but barely.

You may not like them, which I get, but the car pops way harder in the flesh than it does with the very subdued, yet handsome, 437s. The ride quality IS pretty borderline with the 666s, though. There is no way I could live with them if we had bad roads. Even city/rough side streets are bad. Can't imagine the 437s being MUCH better but no doubt it's notable. I drove a car with the 18s and it was pretty good in the comfort department but it looked positively plain-jane. Non-starter for me.

But I will say that the traction and response of the ZCP/666/OE PSS setup is incredible. I can fling this thing down a tight canyon run, using 100% of the motor in MDM mode and the car has virtually no slip from either end. And the response to steering inputs is sublime - the car reacts immediately and defines "on rails" with absolutely zero front/rear phase delay. It is SO GOOD.
If you are driving at the limits (or think you are) if the car feels like it is "on rails" you aren't going fast enough. At the limits the car is sliding. I do not recommend doing this on public roads. The problem with tires that have too low a profile and not enough sidewall is that the stiff sidewalls do not allow enough slip angle for maximum grip and that when they do lose grip they tend to do so suddenly and unpredictably. So while you may be getting the "on rails" feeling due to crisp turn in that crisp turn in is at the expense of grip.

Good explanation of slip angle here:

http://www.racershq.com/intro7/

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-23-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1113
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you are driving at the limits (or think you are) if the car feels like it is "on rails" you aren't going fast enough. At the limits the car is sliding. I do not recommend doing this on public roads. The problem with tires that have too low a profile and not enough sidewall is that the stiff sidewalls do not allow enough slip angle for maximum grip and that when they do lose grip they tend to do so suddenly and unpredictably. So while you may be getting the "on rails" feeling due to crisp turn in that crisp turn in is at the expense of grip.

Good explanation of slip angle here:

http://www.racershq.com/intro7/
So you're saying that since one should not be driving fast enough on the street to enter the slip angle zone, there is zero handling benefit of the 19s over the 20s. Got it, thanks for confirming my choice to go with the 666s

Last edited by EricSMG; 09-23-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #1114
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I said "virtually" no slip. When it does slip it is extremely predictable and confidence inspiring. Further, it slips neutrally, allowing me to pivot the car exactly as I please.

The problem with your thought process is that you think in black and white terms. A taller sidewall may be better at the limit but it doesn't mean the shorter sidewall can't also be extremely good. I am not saying the 20" setup is better than the 19" setup (which is what you heard). Rather, I'm saying the 20" setup combined with the ZCP tuning is a fantastically good handling road car.

And save the lecture about public roads. You have no idea the kind of roads I'm driving on.
An M4 with 18s, 19s or 20s is an extremely capable car that the vast majority of drivers (myself included) never take to the limits. You are always in the slip angle zone although at lower speeds the slip angle may be very low. If you are interested in pursuing the vehicle dynamics of high performance or race driving there are certainly better sources of information than me. There is good info available on the internet and there are a number of high performance driving schools such as Skip Barber, Bondurant and Bertil Roos.

My comment about public roads was a comment not a lecture and was not directed at you or anyone in particular. I don't know you and quite frankly not only do I not know what kind of roads you drive on or how you drive on them I don't care as that is your business not mine. I assume you are driving responsibly because I have no reason to believe otherwise.

In any case I am glad you are enjoying your M. I certainly have enjoyed mine.

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-23-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #1115
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh, you contradict yourself. First you say I'm not driving fast enough then you say I shouldn't be driving that fast. You don't know anything about what I'm doing, the roads I'm driving on, my skill level, etc.

I said "virtually" no slip. When it does slip it is extremely predictable and confidence inspiring. Further, it slips neutrally, allowing me to pivot the car exactly as I please.

The problem with your thought process is that you think in black and white terms. A taller sidewall may be better at the limit but it doesn't mean the shorter sidewall can't also be extremely good. I am not saying the 20" setup is better than the 19" setup (which is what you heard). Rather, I'm saying the 20" setup combined with the ZCP tuning is a fantastically good handling road car.
If you understand the concept of "slip angle" you will realize that it has nothing to do with slip but refers to the angle of the rim as opposed to the angle of the contact patch.

Whether I understand your skill level or not is irrelevant. The issue would be whether you understand your skill level - and I am not implying that you do or do not as I do not know you.

I will say this about my own skill level. After many sessions with the Skip Barber Racing School and ten years after joining the Lime Rock Drivers Club which gives me 50 track days a year with the best driving coaches available I have come to realize that I am a much better driver than I was and nowhere near as good a driver as I used to like I think I was.

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-23-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #1116
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Ha, we got caught in edit twilight zone.^^
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #1117
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhymb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The market has spoken.

The 666 is heavier than the 437.
This guy plebeians
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #1118
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you understand the concept of "slip angle" you will realize that it has nothing to do with slip but refers to the angle of the rim as opposed to the angle of the contact patch.
I think you may be confusing the two.

Quote:
An M4 with 18s, 19s or 20s is an extremely capable car that the vast majority of drivers (myself included) never take to the limits.
Agreed - I never said I was driving at the limit. Just that at a very aggressive street pace it's DAMN good and glued to the road which is really saying a lot given how much power this car has. The fact that I can use all of the motor on a canyon run really says something about how they tuned the suspension.

Last edited by EricSMG; 09-23-2018 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #1119
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha, we got caught in edit twilight zone.^^
Twilight zone or not I am always happy to hear from other enthusiasts! I always try to listen to and respect the opinions of those who do not necessarily agree with me or see things the same way I do and I understand that there are those who are as smart (or smarter) than me or as knowledgeable (or more knowledgeable) than me who have seen the same things that I have and come to different conclusions. I encourage and respect their opinions. If you surround yourself with and only listen to people who agree with you you will never learnt anything.

Are you a member of MGruppe. It is a great organization. I may be biases as I am the New York Metro/New England Regional Director.

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-23-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #1120
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
This guy plebeians
"The Market" has spoken about a lot of things. "The Market" apparently thinks that Kanye West is a talented musician which is one of the reasons that I think the only thing "The Market" determines is what sells and other than that "The Market" tends to be clueless.

Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
doug_9992542.50
      09-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #1121
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
My M4 ZCP is equipped with 437s as well. I don't like the look of 20" rims, I don't like the way 20" rims ride or drive and I don't particularly like the looks of the 666s. But there are obviously many who like 20" rims and the 666s and I am glad the BMW gives us choices.
Captain! Chop again....Why not a set of 666 in 19's? Would that of been so difficult?? Just purchased one of those Faraday pouches from amazon, thoughts? BTW noticed you went Tanzanite this trip, so unlike the Captain!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #1122
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Captain! Chop again....Why not a set of 666 in 19's? Would that of been so difficult?? Just purchased one of those Faraday pouches from amazon, thoughts? BTW noticed you went Tanzanite this trip, so unlike the Captain!
I was not aware that 666 rims were available in 19" and I did not see that (19" 666 rims) as an option when I ordered my car. If they had been available I still would not have ordered then because I don't care for the way they look.

Why do you think Tanzanite is so "Unlike the Captain"?

Appreciate 0