EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Asymmetrical rear spring orientation?

Hi all, incidentally noticed that one side of the rear coil springs (8" 2.5ID Eibach, ground control articulating weight jacks) is more off co-axial / more aticulated (see pictures). I did have car aligned recently (rear left -2 camber, rear right -1.8 camber, 1/16 toe in each side).

Just curious if anyone's springs also look not completely symmetrical. As you can see from the pictures the eccentric washers are also not symmetrical (this in itself isn't out of the ordinary) and the hash marks do not line up (maybe it slipped? Honestly do not remember when the hash marks are from).

I haven't done any driving other than boring street driving and have not hit anything or had issues. I've checked under the car nothing else looks off. I'll get the alignment checked out to be safe, but just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

I may be wrong but that little dent on the bottom side is what the spring and rubber mount are supposed to sit on, but on the inside I think? And based on that it looks like the last picture is in fact off center for that. Could be the angle the pic is taken at though.
      10-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82spaceship View Post
I may be wrong but that little dent on the bottom side is what the spring and rubber mount are supposed to sit on, but on the inside I think? And based on that it looks like the last picture is in fact off center for that. Could be the angle the pic is taken at though.
I think it's just the pictures. The springs and rubber mount appear to be well seated around the inner lip on that control arm.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
I think it's just the pictures. The springs and rubber mount appear to be well seated around the inner lip on that control arm.
took advantage of weekend and jacked rear up and took both rear wheels off and did a close examination. springs well seated, control arms and bushings all look fine. Only thing I can point to is the eccentric bolts are placed in different positions between the two sides to achieve my alignment and thus the spring is situated slightly different. Will probably get an alignment and make sure nothing's off.
Appreciate 0