European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

"Play" in driver's seat cushion?

I've noticed lately that when I make sharp-ish turns (either left or right), my driver's main lower seat cushion seems to move or "give" slightly. Almost like a "click" feeling similar to when you depress a rocker light switch. It seems to be from the transfer of my weight when changing directions. It's not fore-aft play, and I don't think it's play in the seat rails either since the seat itself is rock solid. It seems to be the cushion. Tried doing a search but no luck finding this particular issue. 2016 F83 base with 30k mi. Any ideas ? FYI I'm 6'3 200 lbs, so I'd like to think it ain't me!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

Have you found the solution? My F83 does the same and I'm 137 lbs ...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

you fat fucks aside from getting the bolsters replaced i dont see much fixing it.

seat quality is really shit if you think about how much you pay
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

No solution yet. Can't raise the seat high enough to get underneath nor take a pic. It's definitely not a bolster issue, nor the seat frame's attachment to the rails. These are solid. It's something within the seat bottom cushion. Using the diagrams on RealOem I think it's this piece. X marks the spot of where I feel the play. I'm not sure how to take this apart in order to identify the cause, and not too keen to take it to the dealer for them just to tell me it's normal and charge me an arm and a leg for the privilege. 😃
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
gerri
Private First Class
Rep

Those are padding and they make no noise. We need to research on the frame.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerri View Post
Those are padding and they make no noise. We need to research on the frame.
Makes sense. Based on this diagram, I think my issue is coming from #6 (spring support) Something might be loose either within the spring support itself (the black part) or in the way the spring support attaches to the frame. I'm not sure how to remove the seat cushion, however, so I can see what the issue is. Any ideas? Tried to find a YT vid but all seam to be about swapping the entire seat, not just removing the seat cushion.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 01:25 AM   #7
gerri
Private First Class
Rep

The number 6 is a spring and in my opinion that is not the problem because, at least in my case, the noise is dry and full and cannot come from such a thin spring. I believe that the problem is to be found in the joints (green areas) that have not been tightened or pressed sufficiently. I have some TIS files on how to disassemble the various parts of the seat if you are interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #8
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerri View Post
The number 6 is a spring and in my opinion that is not the problem because, at least in my case, the noise is dry and full and cannot come from such a thin spring. I believe that the problem is to be found in the joints (green areas) that have not been tightened or pressed sufficiently. I have some TIS files on how to disassemble the various parts of the seat if you are interested.
Thanks. That would be great. PM sent. If too complex a job I won't mess with it since it's a very minor thing. In my case it's definitely not the seat frame or joints. In your case sounds like those joints are relatively straightforward to get to?
Appreciate 0