R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinbarb View Post
Thanks to all who posted their thoughts/advice. Overall I am satisfied with what Princeton BMW did to resolve the problem. They just replaced their service management, BTW.

So, after the oil drain plug was installed and oil filled, car had weak acceleration. Issue was diagnosed to be faulty Vanos unit. Both Vanos units were replaced, engine was retimed, issue resolved. Dealership performed cylinder compression test, it was normal.

I received a 100k/6yr powertrain warranty extension at no cost, dealership cost is $2495. The dealership also covered my rental car expenses incurred due to incident ($230).

What do you think?
How long do you intend to keep the car?

If less than 6 years 100k, you should be OK. But as others have said, running without oil pressure WILL cause internal damages. Will those damages cause an eventual failure or when will it happen? That is not possible to predict.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #24
catalinbarb
Rep
Drives: Z4

I had planned to keep the car through the warranty, I own it. I did contact BMW of America and documented the incident. I also plan on attending a HPDE soon and see if power is affected in any way. One of the BMW CCA tech advisors suggested I examine the oil filter at the next oil change for metal particles, which I also plan to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinbarb
Thanks to all who posted their thoughts/advice. Overall I am satisfied with what Princeton BMW did to resolve the problem. They just replaced their service management, BTW.

So, after the oil drain plug was installed and oil filled, car had weak acceleration. Issue was diagnosed to be faulty Vanos unit. Both Vanos units were replaced, engine was retimed, issue resolved. Dealership performed cylinder compression test, it was normal.

I received a 100k/6yr powertrain warranty extension at no cost, dealership cost is $2495. The dealership also covered my rental car expenses incurred due to incident ($230).

What do you think?
Sounds like a good resolution. Motor oils contain additives which provide boundary lubrication when oil isn't present so it's not likely that you have any damage that'll cause problems. Of course you'll know for sure when you complete your HPDE.

Last thing you want to do is have a new engine installed. It can be a huge headache.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0