proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #23
ellipsis212
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
I've had Swifts with OEM ZCP for nearly 20k miles now, and I wouldn't say the experience has changed that much in 2 years. They are pretty stiff in the sport/+ settings and comfort soaks up road chatter but is definitely a bit bouncy on bad roads. And let's be honest, we're all talking about comfort on bad roads because smooth tarmac feels great.

At some point I had considered the KW DDC but you need to read up about the rear suspension height before you pull the trigger. Max height is still WAY tucked.

Another thing to consider is the impact of your wheel/tire choice on overall ride quality. My car is downright compliant when I'm riding on my 20" winter setup but on my performance/looks setup with 305/25 in the back I am willfully sacrificing some comfort for style.

The point is that all of these things add up to your ride quality and the roads are largely out of your control, and all in all Swifts with OEM are still pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #24
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
I believe the positive posts on the Swift's are usually made quite soon after the install.

Based on my experience with the e92, the Swifts tend to overwhelm the shocks over a period of time, thus whatever positives experienced at install becomes moot.

For what it's worth, I went with Eibachs on my F80 M3 & M2 competition.
Which eibach, v1 or v2?
How do you like them? How long have you had them?
Bouncy? Did they lower more than expected. Suppose to be .8"
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #25
FreeDarko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
I believe the positive posts on the Swift's are usually made quite soon after the install.

Based on my experience with the e92, the Swifts tend to overwhelm the shocks over a period of time, thus whatever positives experienced at install becomes moot.

For what it's worth, I went with Eibachs on my F80 M3 & M2 competition.
Which eibach, v1 or v2?
How do you like them? How long have you had them?
Bouncy? Did they lower more than expected. Suppose to be .8"
I went with the v1 in front and switched to M3 competition springs in the back. I wouldn't say it was bouncy but at times it was floaty depending on the road conditions.

The cars with v2 does get the advertised drop if not bit more. However it obviously won't be asthetically pleasing as the Swifts so if that matters then go with the BMW HAS kit.

If the BMW HAS kit was available at the time when I purchased the F80, that would have been my 1st choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #26
aswy6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw M3 e92

Also will 265/285 tire setup rub anywhere with swift springs? On 19" wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #27
g0dbless
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I've had Swifts with OEM ZCP for nearly 20k miles now, and I wouldn't say the experience has changed that much in 2 years. They are pretty stiff in the sport/+ settings and comfort soaks up road chatter but is definitely a bit bouncy on bad roads. And let's be honest, we're all talking about comfort on bad roads because smooth tarmac feels great.

At some point I had considered the KW DDC but you need to read up about the rear suspension height before you pull the trigger. Max height is still WAY tucked.

Another thing to consider is the impact of your wheel/tire choice on overall ride quality. My car is downright compliant when I'm riding on my 20" winter setup but on my performance/looks setup with 305/25 in the back I am willfully sacrificing some comfort for style.

The point is that all of these things add up to your ride quality and the roads are largely out of your control, and all in all Swifts with OEM are still pretty good.
^ said it better than I did, and completely agree with this post on their Swift review.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #28
Izzmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
try CS coding for the edc, with oem spring it's a major upgrade

with the swift, it's stiffer but i was alway in sport plus for daily driving and it was perfect for me, comfortable and great handling
Quote:

with the swift, it's stiffer but i was alway in sport plus for daily driving and it was perfect for me, comfortable and great handling
How can I code CS into the edc? Noob question I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #29
Izzmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
For my application I don't need HAS. They're expensive, I want to just drop the springs in and call it a day. Adjusting the height is cool for guys running different wheel sets and tracking often. I don't track it so just looking for a decent drop that rides well and looks good. Think I'm going with the Eibach V2 US Spec springs. Thoughts? Anyone else had these springs? I like the EDC and think OEM rides great and handles well enough. It's just a bit too much wheel to fender gap for my tastes.
I don't have experience with Eibach springs, but I did have Macht Schnell, which were bouncy/crashy. The rears felt like they were riding the bump stops. I had the same desires as you - I just wanted a lowering spring that worked well, and also was not looking for a HAS kit because it was unnecessary for me.

But in my case, it took too many suspension iterations and the associated costs that came with them than I cared for to finally find a suspension I'm happy with. I spent way too much money with all the swaps to the point where the labor alone could have paid for the MP HAS had I just stuck with my gut and gone with it the first time. The MP HAS comes with its own bump stops, and while I cannot speak for the Eibach, I can guarantee you're going to love the MP HAS. The Eibach may work out perfectly, or it may not, and then you'll need to look for another option anyways. In which case the money was better spent up front on the MP HAS.

The purpose of this post is to inform you, not to push you away from Eibach . But as someone who is coming from the exact same place you were, I guess my angle is the "been there, done that, learn from my mistakes" type, so it's just something to think about when making your decision.

Please post an update with whatever you choose. I am looking forward to your review.

EDIT: There's a MP HAS on sale for super cheap! https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705540
Quote:

Thanks!
Definitely trying the eibach route then reporting back. Hopefully this corona crap is over sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #30
tropicatango
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
Quote:

Quote:

How can I code CS into the edc? Noob question I'm sure.
Contact a professional coding company

Alex alpine did mine

Website is: alpinemss

It can be done by remote coding so all you need is a laptop, etnet to obd2 cable and internet.

But many other are able to code cs edc
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #31
Redacre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, 911

Garage List
I've had my Swift springs for about 3 months now and they are really hard to live with in my hilly city. They look incredible and delivered the performance I wanted for the occasional trackday, but I am scraping everywhere even without a lip. This isn't my first lowered car and I knew there would be some trade-offs, but it's just embarrassing now. Once this whole shelter-in-place thing is over I plan to swap these for either KW or MP HAS systems.

FWIW, I have no complaints about the performance or ride quality. The stock springs are way soft and these obviously improved handling at my last trackday. I haven't experienced any clunking or noise. If I lived somewhere flatter or had a daily driver I'd happily keep them.

Before @ Sonoma

After @ Thunderhill
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #32
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

My friend just installed Swift lowering springs in his M4 and he says he likes it, but it does ride very stiff. On the other hand, I just installed EMD lowering springs in my M3 and it rides beautifully. Feels just like stock, but slightly sportier. They're even designed to be used with the stock shocks and struts. I'd highly recommend them. You can read my full review on EMD springs here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1708504

For better a understanding, check out these spring rates...

Front spring rates:
  • Stock spring rate: 186 lb/in
  • EMD spring rate: 194 lb/in
  • Swift spring rate: 268 lb/in
Rear spring rates:
  • Stock spring rate: 608 lb/in
  • EMD spring rate: 645 lb/in
  • Swift spring rate: 716 lb/in
EMD advertises a front drop of 1.3" for both the M3 and M4. I saw a 1.45" drop in the front on my M3. Your results may vary.

The rear drop depends on whether you use the spacers or not. The M3 kit includes spacers and the M4 kit does not. EMD advertises a 0.3" drop with spacers on the M3. They advertise a 0.9" drop for the M4, which doesn't use the spacers. Since I wanted a more significant drop, I chose not to use the spacers on my M3 and saw a 0.75" drop. Your results may vary.

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0