Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #353
RGee
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
I purchased this little baby and having it installed next week.... i find this along with the crank bolt capture a must, even with pinned hubs as the bolt is definitely an issue on backing out.
I got 10% off from VTT website .
Wow, very generous of them. Nice people.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #354
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Let's take a step back and look at the problem more holistically. I get headaches reading this thread.

Is there enough to build a case directly against BMW? While I applaud the community's effort to tackle the spun crank hub issue. What if we simply ask BMW to do what's right?

Case study: Porsche 991.1 GT3

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 2
Shadow2121.00
Ghosn463.50
      05-18-2020, 02:09 AM   #355
RGee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
Let's take a step back and look at the problem more holistically. I get headaches reading this thread.

Is there enough to build a case directly against BMW? While I applaud the community's effort to tackle the spun crank hub issue. What if we simply ask BMW to do what's right?

Just my $0.02
I would even appreciate a "correct" solution from BMW...instead of having owners jerk around with this.
Appreciate 1
Ghosn463.50
      05-18-2020, 02:44 AM   #356
Wardy33
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

I had my Insane Hub installed the weekend.

Took my mate whos a BMW tech 9 hours total. Dropped it off at 4pm Friday picked it up 3PM saturday.

He said it was an easy install, instructions and quality was good.

I gave it some harsh kickdowns on the way home and im very pleased with it.

I got the hub for £530 from Insane via eBay, I just offered them lower prices and they accepted.

All round very happy.
      05-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #357
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Quote:

Just my $0.02
This, right here. I had an Audi S6, 4.0tt, that had the PCV system go bad, this was and is a known issue with that engine. Of course it happened to my car out of warranty, so I had to foot the 2k or so bill to fix it, or whatever it was. Really soured me on the car, but it led me to my current F80 so I can't be too pissed. In any event, 6 months after I sold it Audi finally agreed to a recall on the part and actually paid me back what I had paid to have it fixed. I can't believe Audi would do something like this while BMW wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #358
RGee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2 View Post
This, right here. I had an Audi S6, 4.0tt, that had the PCV system go bad, this was and is a known issue with that engine. Of course it happened to my car out of warranty, so I had to foot the 2k or so bill to fix it, or whatever it was. Really soured me on the car, but it led me to my current F80 so I can't be too pissed. In any event, 6 months after I sold it Audi finally agreed to a recall on the part and actually paid me back what I had paid to have it fixed. I can't believe Audi would do something like this while BMW wouldn't.

Are you kidding? It all comes down to money. Would you recall hundreds of thousands, probably millions (does anyone care to post a more accurate estimate) of vehicles since 2006?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:03 AM   #359
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

The aftermarket stepped up and offered solutions (at the cost of enthusiasts) while BMW sat back and laughed all the way to the bank, if you really want to be directly blunt and honest about it.

They call that collusion, "too big too fail," or the "establishment" where I'm from.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:38 AM   #360
RGee
Rep

Quote:
The aftermarket stepped up and offered solutions (at the cost of enthusiasts) while BMW sat back and laughed all the way to the bank, if you really want to be directly blunt and honest about it.

They call that collusion, "too big too fail," or the "establishment" where I'm from.
I wonder what percentage of crank hub failures were\are from bone-stock and unmodified vehicles.

Last edited by RGee; 05-24-2020 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #361
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2 View Post
I can. Coming from a 335 to a B8 S4, the care Audi gives to owners is substantially better than BMW.
Appreciate 0